View Full Version : Aggression Towards Larger Dogs?

chrissycat21
08-21-2004, 09:34 AM
When Snowy was a puppy she got attacked by a large dog at the dog park (I think I told some of you that story already) now whenever a larger dog than her gets to close she snaps at it. (Snowy is pretty smart, huh, those things could crush her! lol) It always seems to happen with those dogs that just follow her and keep on sniffing her at the dog park. Or when you first go in there and there are about 6 dogs all at the gate. If she starts to snap at any of the dogs at the dog park I take her out and run around with her in the field near it. If I take her back in when there are no dogs too much larger than her, she is ok.

But one of the strange things is she gets a long with a huge collie that she had known before she was attacked and didn't meet at the dog park.

Could it be that she is scared of the dog park or just scared of the dogs in it?

-Chrissy

edited in: When she gets aggressive its nothing bad, just a growl, tail between the legs, and a little snapping in the air. She has never hurt another dog and none of them have ever tried to hurt her after she snaps at them.

sammy101
08-21-2004, 09:54 AM
hmmm,mabye its just certin large dogs that she's scared off.Well,i guess since she's known the collie before she was attacked than mabye she knows that the collie is friendly and wont attack her. My dalmation was attacked when she was a puppy,and ever since then she's attacked alot of dogs,all sizes,and she just hated other dogs for some reason.

catnapper
08-21-2004, 10:50 AM
My RB Cindy was exactly like that (she looked like Snowy too! :) ) She would challenge Rotties and other large dogs, and they'd always just walk away! LOL

Then my Grandmom had a Terrier that would attack Nicki EVERYTIME we saw her. Nicki is actually petrified of small dogs of any size, anywhere now because of it. She does LOVE my neighbor's Doxies though... so I guess it depends on certain conditions, like where or the dog itself. Poor dog is 100 pounds are scared to death of 20 pound dogs! :D

chrissycat21
08-22-2004, 10:28 AM
The thing is, I'm just always worried that one of them is going to fight back and that Snowy is going to get hurt because she picks on the bigger dogs. I guess as long as I watch her everything will be ok.

Catnapper, could I see a picture of Cindy sometime? I'd love to see how much she looked like Snowy.