PDA

View Full Version : A reposting of A Troll Story

heinz57_79
08-20-2004, 07:26 PM
Obviously school starting again hasn't gotten rid of all the trolls, and there have been lots of newbies since I posted this last who may not know the best way to deal with trolls.... So I thought I'd re-post, for the benefit of those who didn't get to read it before. :)

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54356&highlight=A+Troll+Story

For all the newbies, remember... DON'T FEED THE TROLLS! :D

dukedogsmom
08-20-2004, 07:28 PM
I agree totally! Down with trolls! But, remember the last troll thread. We were "disciplined" for even using that word.

heinz57_79
08-20-2004, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
I agree totally! Down with trolls! But, remember the last troll thread. We were "disciplined" for even using that word.

I don't know why we'd be disciplined.. it's a legitimate term for those on the internet who have nothing better to do than stir up trouble. Which is what's happening, yet again, and a lot of people don't know that the best way to exterminate is to ignore. ;)

Kfamr
08-20-2004, 07:38 PM
Sorry, but I do not believe that school being out or starting again has anything to do with trolls. I really dislike when people assume that all trolls are kids. They could be 60 years old for all we know.

It's very embarrassing to be a teenager and have everyone point fingers at trolls and assume automatically they're kids.

cocker_luva
08-20-2004, 07:46 PM
exactly! :)

dogs_4_me
08-20-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
Sorry, but I do not believe that school being out or starting again has anything to do with trolls. I really dislike when people assume that all trolls are kids. They could be 60 years old for all we know.

It's very embarrassing to be a teenager and have everyone point fingers at trolls and assume automatically they're kids.

I agree:)

BCBlondie
08-20-2004, 08:03 PM

Trolls are usually young, immature brats with nothing better to do. I doubt someone 60 would be so immature.

sammy101
08-20-2004, 08:04 PM
im a Teen too,and most people assume that it is a child,or a teen! and i agree!!

Kfamr
08-20-2004, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by BCBlondie
Trolls are usually young, immature brats with nothing better to do. I doubt someone 60 would be so immature.

You'd be very surprised. 60 was an exaggeration (sp?)
I remember a while back we had a lady who did nothing but start stuff, and she was far older than a teenager.

I'm just saying, not every troll is a young person, and i'm sick of hearing people say that it's children who start all of this crap. :(

Toller 42
08-20-2004, 08:45 PM

I agree with evrything you posted Kay!

QueenScoopalot
08-20-2004, 08:52 PM
I'm still a wee bit confused about which ones posting now are actually trolls. :confused: Still trying to "feel out" one newbie on Cat General...his posts smell a bit fishy to me. But I agree, many young persons on this board are genuine and considerate of others, wheras others come only to annoy. Luckily I haven't seen many troll postings lately...but have my suspicions. ;)

K9soul
08-20-2004, 10:38 PM
I know there was one troll in Dog General earlier this evening who was posting nasty remarks to people's pictures and calling their dogs ugly and so on, just a blatant troll there. Thankfully Karen or Paul took care of that situation :)

As for age... I think people often assume they must be younger because they are acting immature, but who knows what age they really are. It could be a 12-year-old kid, it could be a 30-year-old guy drinking beer and getting chuckles out of peoples' reactions. Either way I agree it's best to not "feed into" them if at all possible!

Ally Cat's Mommy
08-21-2004, 03:46 AM

I have to agree with Kay on this one! Maybe I have just been lucky, but the correspondence and posts I have exchanged with our "younger" members have been enjoyable and enriching. It makes me happy to know that we have a bunch of wonderful caring people here, regardless of age.

catnapper
08-21-2004, 08:01 AM
When someone makes a comment about a troll being a teen, its not a dig directed at our current teens. If you are insulted about trolls being labeled as teens, I'm sorry, for thats what the majority of them are right now. You cannot help being a teen, so please try not to be so defensive/hurt about it. Don't be in such a hurry to grow up either. Enjoy being a teen while it lasts.

I know that teens are not the only population that play troll. I know that if my husband joined PT that he'd be labeled as a troll because he thinks its "fun" to get things started. He has a website he "plays" on where he gets rumors started all the time, and he sits and laughs himself silly. :o :mad: He refuses to comprehend that people are real and serioulsy are hurt or outraged by the things he says. The majority of trolls happen to be male. :rolleyes:

I just have to say that at this time of year the majority of trolls ARE bored teenagers. That has NOTHING to do with our current teen population, as they are truly kind and caring, devoted pet owners.

DogLover9501
08-21-2004, 08:17 AM
I agree with Kay!

Sometimes it is hard to enjoy being a teen, this is one example, also alot of people don't think we know what we're talking about because we're just "kids", or say not to be hard on other PTers because they are just "kids"...etc

And also in a previous thread, it was mentioned that some people/someone doesn't want teens to post about their lives, or problems..etc because they could just go listen to their own kids...but we could also go listen to our own parents complain about things in their lives!

Sorry to get off topic :o

micki76
08-21-2004, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
I just have to say that at this time of year the majority of trolls ARE bored teenagers. That has NOTHING to do with our current teen population, as they are truly kind and caring, devoted pet owners.

Very true, Kim.

Tonya
08-21-2004, 04:30 PM
I missed yesterday's episode. I personally, refer to any stupid people as "kids". When I use the term "kids", I am not referring to age at all, I am referring to a person who has no clue in life. I refer to my 21 year old brother's friends as "kids" because they are total idiots. Yet, I don't refer to my 17 year old sister's friends as "kids" because they have common sense.

I guess we all have our own way of describing things. As far as teens being trolls, I do agree that trolls can be any age. Some people are just wierd. But, I also think that we tend to get more trolls in the summer because school is out.

popcornbird
08-21-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
When someone makes a comment about a troll being a teen, its not a dig directed at our current teens. If you are insulted about trolls being labeled as teens, I'm sorry, for thats what the majority of them are right now. You cannot help being a teen, so please try not to be so defensive/hurt about it. Don't be in such a hurry to grow up either. Enjoy being a teen while it lasts.

I know that teens are not the only population that play troll. I know that if my husband joined PT that he'd be labeled as a troll because he thinks its "fun" to get things started. He has a website he "plays" on where he gets rumors started all the time, and he sits and laughs himself silly. :o :mad: He refuses to comprehend that people are real and serioulsy are hurt or outraged by the things he says. The majority of trolls happen to be male. :rolleyes:

I totally agree. I don't think anyone's pointing fingers at all teens when they say most trolls are probably young. Its the TRUTH. It is normally the young and immature people who have all the time in the world to go to forums etc. that do things like that. An adult with the responsibility that adults have on their shoulders most likely wouldn't even have the time to bother with acting like a troll. Of course there are adults who would also get a kick out of acting like trolls, but the fact is, it is something that is most likely done by young people. I don't think anyone should take offense in that. I'm young myself, but I still feel most of the troublemakers that come here are young.

leslie
08-21-2004, 06:33 PM
Maybe we should count on the intuition of our young pter's to sniff out the bad/troll/deceptive thread starters! They (you) probably see and smell them long before we ("older" pter's - not me though, hee,hee!) do!

Kfamr
08-21-2004, 06:48 PM
I never said anyone was pointing fingers at our young PT'ers.. it's just the fact that when someone mentions something bad, and assumes it's a kid doing such -- it makes you (teens/kids) feel embarrassed to be such.