PDA

View Full Version : Wheat-allergic girl denied Communion

ramanth
08-20-2004, 10:04 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/08/19/communion.denied.ap/index.html

*sighs* I feel bad for that girl. :(

Logan
08-20-2004, 04:29 PM
I'm not Catholic, so I don't always understand the hows and whys things are done the way they are in the Catholic church, but I think this is horrible! Would Jesus do this? I don't think so.
:( Makes me sad for that little girl.

Tonya
08-21-2004, 10:17 AM
That is horrible! I'm not Catholic, but in my chuch, the bread represents the body of Christ and the wine, His blood. It should be able to be anything as long as you are honoring Him.

lbaker
08-21-2004, 10:45 AM
I heard about this on the news the other day :( A friend of mine was ex-communicated from the Catholic church years back for playing drums at a church social with the band he was in :eek: :mad: His family stopped going to church needless to say.

Pam
08-21-2004, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Tonya
That is horrible! I'm not Catholic, but in my chuch, the bread represents the body of Christ and the wine, His blood. It should be able to be anything as long as you are honoring Him.

My thoughts too. It's only a 'representation' of his body. Who really cares what the ingredients are. It's how you receive it in your heart. *sigh*

smokey the elder
08-23-2004, 12:43 PM
Yeah, what would be wrong with a rice-based host? It could be consecrated just the same.

micki76
08-23-2004, 01:27 PM
I personally find that appalling and rather disgusting. How could they deny her that? :mad: :mad: :mad:

This is just one of the many reasons that I shy away from religion. :(

lizzielou742
08-23-2004, 04:01 PM
Geez louise, that is just STUPID. The church says they don't want to allow this b/c they don't want to change the rules of communion in any way - it's not changing the rules, it's making exceptions for people who are deathly allergic to the darn host but still want to be Catholic! :mad: :mad: :rolleyes:

RICHARD
08-23-2004, 04:08 PM
What Would Jesus Do???

O.K. a soy based host, one that's low in calories and has no carbs!!;)

Edwina's Secretary
08-23-2004, 04:23 PM
This is not a defense (as I think the decision was appalling) but a clarification....

One of the major differences between the Catholic faith and non-Catholic Christians is the belief in transubstantiation...that is the bread and wine actually become the body and blood of Christ as opposed to a representation of the body and blood of Christ.

Now...as to why rice vs. wheat makes any difference to that....I haven't a clue.

Logan
08-23-2004, 10:14 PM
Thanks for that clarification, Sara. We all continue to learn! But like you, I still don't understand "why" it makes any difference.

DJFyrewolf36
08-24-2004, 10:49 AM
Yet another reason why organised religion really irks me sometimes...

:( Poor girl