PDA

View Full Version : Inappropriat urinating

GracieLizMom
05-13-2001, 11:28 AM
A month ago my newest love Gracie from the local Humane Society began wetting on the carpet near my back entry. Also on my outdoor carpeting on screened in porch. I have taken her to vet as well as her step sister cat, Elizabeth to check for infections and both are wonderfully healthy. Litter is cleaned daily and changed weekly (scoopable). They are on Iams wet and dry food appropriate to their age and activity. They both have full run of house and yes they get territorial from time to time especially when it comes to getting my attention when I am home from work. I feel it is a commentary to my leaving for work each morning. She has blatantly done this in fromt of me and I have used the spray water bottle, been harsh in my tone and made a loud noise with a whistle and clapping when it happens in my presence. She is oblivious to it all and it persists. Help! My house is beginning to take on the aroma of a stable!

------------------
Nay

4 feline house
05-13-2001, 03:26 PM
Gee, this is a real toughie since you've already investigated and have ruled out all the obvious causes. The only thing I can think of is you going to work - but I feel this would only be an issue for her if you only just started working (or recently changed your work schedule). but you don't specifically mention that. Is that possible?

Gina
05-13-2001, 10:31 PM
Gina to the fore! (I hope!)

Ok- question: is she teething? cats and dogs sometimes go a little whacko at this time. Also, some cats are more particular than others with regard to how clean their litter tray is. If it's not clean they will go else where.

Question 2- are you sure she's a girlie? Full males spray their territory. Actually now that I think of it, girlies have been known to sort of spray too!

Possible remedy- First, don't laugh ok?! Second, I know you want to disenfect. Great, do, but afterwards you must wash the area with biological detergent(Washing powder). This is absolutely the only thing that will rid the smell, so much infact that the cat won't be able to find the spot for reacurring marking! (this is also good for outdoors if anyone has a tom that is spraying the walls/ground etc.!) Next, buy lots of lemons or limes and oranges. Cut them into segments and leave them on the areas that have previously been urinated on. Replace them with fresh ones as needed until the message has been received. Cats hate the smell of anything citrus. This is a great training aid. You could invest in the pure essential oil "Citronella", putting it around the house, but I found the real thing better. If you try this, as I have, I'm 99.999999% sure it will work, honest, try it!

>^..^< !