PDA

View Full Version : Annoying New Commercial from Power Company

Sevens
08-20-2004, 06:50 AM
I am so annoyed right now! I've as of late been trying to defend pit bulls and I tend to make a big deal if I see something anti-pitbull and avoid buying the product.

Well, this morning I see a commercial for Dominion Virginia Power.

You see a pit bull sitting unleashed in the front yard of a beautiful house surrounded by a picket fence. You see some joggers go by, the dog growls, and they jump and stumble past. Then the same thing with a rollerblader and a skateboarder and people out for a walk. Then you see a Dominion Virginia Power truck pulls up and they talk about their new service where the workers can check your meter from the street with a laptop. And with the dog growling, it says how this service makes the workers extremely happy. The guys smiles at the dog and drives off.

I just get sick of people using pit bulls when they want to prove a point and it involves something vicious and tough. Why couldn't they use any other breed? All dogs growl and a lot of them protect their yards. I'm going to write a letter to these idiots and let them know I'm not happy.

I mean, how could anybody be afraid of a face like this?
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid136/pfb8fdf8386ecf5ebccd05f29796dd9c6/f759484c.jpg

Thanks for letting me vent, I feel better. Have a great day!:)

RobiLee
08-20-2004, 07:12 AM
Vent away!! I hate when they stereotype also.

Any dog could be out in the yard growling and barking away.

Robin :)

pitc9
08-20-2004, 07:50 AM
Someone here at PT works for a phone company ( I think it is Tonya) and they went to a house and the people had two dogs, one was a poodle, and I THINK the other was a pitt. Both were out in the yard, and she was bitten by one.... the POODLE!!! Not the pitt!!

They need to realize it's just like being racial!!

I hope the commerical gets pulled off the air!

(please forgive me if this story is wrong in any way... incorrect breeds, person, etc.)

Smilla
08-20-2004, 07:54 AM
That's pretty irresponsible on their part. I hope they get lots of calls.

dappledoxie
08-20-2004, 01:25 PM
I hope they hear about it from alot of people especially customers of theirs. I think that is an awful thing for them to do! It just tries to make them seems like bad dogs which they aren't, not anymore than any dog out there could be. Poor things!

chocolatepuppy
08-20-2004, 05:39 PM
Not only is it bad for pitbulls but all dogs. Nothing like that should be funny regardless of what type of dog it is! Can't they come up with something else?:mad:

Sevens
08-20-2004, 06:35 PM
I agree! There are so many people in my neighborhood who are afraid of dogs in general. Let them see a commercial like that and it just enforces that dogs are to be feared.

I just never get can get used to people thinking pit bulls are vicious. Especially my Bailey. The worst thing she'd do is lick you.

For instance, we recently went to an outdoor festival. She is very cute, so a lot of parents were trying to soothe their screaming kids by asking if the kids could pet Bailey. The kids were loving it and the parents were happy. They were like "I love your dog, she's so sweet, what kind of dog is she." The minute I say "Pit bull/lab mix", they yank their kids away like Bailey was going eat them. Actually, my new brother in law is the same way as well.

I try to educate people when I can about breedism and pit bulls being misunderstood (and also other stereotyped dogs like rotts and German sheperds and such), but it seems to be a lost cause.

senorita02
08-20-2004, 07:07 PM
Yeah i also hate it when people assume things about certain breeds, like when someone tried to ruin Senoritas Day (dotd) haha
There is another commercial with a Rott , it's advertising for bad odors, and they show a Rott sitting on the couch , Faces feelings were hurt, :D

BCBlondie
08-20-2004, 07:47 PM
If they want a mean dog, they can have Monica LOL
http://photobucket.com/albums/v50/BCBlondie/My%20Dogs/th_DSC07782.jpg

I also hate it when people portray pit bulls and other "mean" dogs as vicious, mean, and whatever else.:( I don't understand what the point of that is.. there are already so many people that are scared of dogs or that think pit bulls are bad and mean... :(

Iilo
08-20-2004, 08:13 PM
Just to give you all a little hope :

Our meter-reader aquaints himself with every families' dogs before he goes into the dogs' yards. He carries dog bisquits and loves all the dogs and all the dogs love him. If all public service people could take the time to do something like that they probably wouldn't have any trouble with checking things because the dog recognizes them as someone who is accepted by its family. Rien and Coa both love the meter reader and they beg to be let outside to play with him when he comes. We always go out and talk to him if we're home and he plays a round of fetch with the dogs.

Commercials like that make me sick. >.> It only encourages BSL and other crap like that.

Mil0Luv3r
08-20-2004, 08:29 PM
I hate when they use any animals in commercial. Like when they do that with pitbulls.... My friend has a pitbull they're not so bad. But still kinda scary because you don't know if they are going to bite you... So I can't really trust them but PitBulls are OK... But it still is wrong to do that in commercials... I have a Yellow Lab