PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of my new rescue dog, Annie

Twisterdog
08-19-2004, 09:25 PM
Meet Annie, my new rescue/foster dog. She's a Jack Russell terrier, and she is QUITE the ball of energy. :p

Toller 42
08-19-2004, 09:26 PM
She's beautiful:)

dogs_4_me
08-19-2004, 09:28 PM
shes a cutie!

Twisterdog
08-19-2004, 09:28 PM
Staring intently at the hamster cage ....

I had to move them on top of the bookcase, and she STILL obsessed about them for hours.

Twisterdog
08-19-2004, 09:30 PM
Having finally decided the hamsters are now out of reach, she decides to try to eat the fish, instead.

Prey drive in the extreme, that's for sure.

Anyone want a nice little terrier? ;)

KYS
08-19-2004, 09:49 PM
What a cutie.

micki76
08-19-2004, 09:55 PM
Ahhhhhhhh!!!!! I want her!! She's sooo cute! :D

I still can't believe you even have small animals in your 'House of Terriers'. :D We can't have anything, cause Chester obsesses for HOURS trying to kill them. :rolleyes:

Shelteez2
08-19-2004, 10:24 PM
So she's not coming in the house, huh? LOL
Wow she is cute!!!

QueenScoopalot
08-19-2004, 10:28 PM
Cute stuff...and high strung those little terriers can be! I got an email about a JR today in Long Island NY that's slated for PTS. Needs obedience schooling, and has not been altered etc. I deleted the post but may be able to pull it out again. I hear this guy's been biting etc. Any thoughts anyone? :confused: :confused:

jazzcat
08-19-2004, 11:05 PM
Oh she is so cute!!

EssTer
08-20-2004, 04:19 AM
AWWWWW :) she's soo cute :)

anna_66
08-20-2004, 07:46 AM
Oh she definately looks like a little bundle of energy! You can see it in those eyes:D But she sure is a cutie pie!!!

Logan
08-20-2004, 07:47 AM
She looks like a ball of fire, Twisterdog!!!! :) Too cute, though!!!! :D

RobiLee
08-20-2004, 07:52 AM
Hi there, Annie. What a cutie you are.

I hope you find all the love that you need.

Robin :)

pitc9
08-20-2004, 08:03 AM
What a cutie pie!!!

dappledoxie
08-20-2004, 01:26 PM
Aww she is so cute! :)

tatsxxx11
08-20-2004, 02:35 PM
Annie, there's no doubt you're 100% JRT:D What a cutie:) Gotta love that Terrier energy! I'm sure you're going to have a fun and happy foster experience, adorable Annie:)

Twisterdog
08-20-2004, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Shelteez2
So she's not coming in the house, huh? LOL
Wow she is cute!!!

Oh, shutup. ;)

Actually, I HAD to let her in the house, as she was obsessively jumping against the gate of the kennel for HOURS on end, and had all of her feet bleeding. Tonight she is having a sleep over with Grandpa, so I, my dogs and my little critters can get some rest!

I still can't believe you even have small animals in your 'House of Terriers'. We can't have anything, cause Chester obsesses for HOURS trying to kill them.

My dogs are ok with them. They would certainly kill the hamsters and the birds if left alone with them, but they are not allowed in those rooms without me. If I'm there, they don't pay any attention to them. However, EVERY Jack/Parson Russell I've rescued/fostered has been completely obsessed with killing them.

Cute stuff...and high strung those little terriers can be! I got an email about a JR today in Long Island NY that's slated for PTS. Needs obedience schooling, and has not been altered etc. I deleted the post but may be able to pull it out again. I hear this guy's been biting etc. Any thoughts anyone?

Jack/Parson Russells were never really meant to be pets, honestly. They are working dogs, bred for hundreds upon hundreds of years to do a job ... find, hunt down and kill small animals, and do it all independently of any human assistance, intervention or commands. Therefore, they are fast, high energy, high prey drive, stubborn and often times aggressive. This is not their fault at all - that is how people bred them to acheive the desired results ... fewer vermin. My son calls Jack/Parson Russells "dogs on crack" ... and I think he hit the nail right on the head. ;) They MUST have training and an owner with a stronger will than they have. SOMEONE is going to be the boss in a terrier's pack, so if it's not going to be you, it WILL be them.

The behavior you descibe is not what I would call unusual whatsoever for this breed. Sounds to me like a JRT that has been allowed to get away with what he wants to, until it became too much for his owners to handle. That is exactly how I got Basil ... he growled and snapped at his timid owners, and he got his way. He scared them, and he ended up at the pound. He doesn't scare me, and we have reached an agreement ... I'm the boss. Period. You MUST be more stubborn and more dominant than the dog, or it will walk on you with all four feet.

They are SMART dogs, smart in the extreme. They need a job to do, and lots of exercise. They are often not good with other dogs. They are HORRIBLE with cats, rabbits, rodents, etc. But they are also sweet and funny and lovable.

Terriers are not for the faint of heart, but if you have the will and the intelligence to own them responsibly, they are the best of pets.

Kater
08-22-2004, 01:39 AM
What a cutie pie! And a little pistol too! ;)
I'm so glad she's with you...she's very lucky. :D

tikeyas_mom
08-22-2004, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
Staring intently at the hamster cage ....

I had to move them on top of the bookcase, and she STILL obsessed about them for hours.

a true terrier ;)

DogLover9501
08-22-2004, 01:55 AM
She is so adorable!! She definatly seems like quite the ball of energy :D

LorraineO
08-22-2004, 07:06 AM
Very ery cute,, and super inquisitive isnt he?
congrats on your new baby!!!!

lute
08-22-2004, 09:24 AM
annie is ADORABLE! i love jackies! the lady that lives on the bottom floor has one,but Annie is much cuter!:D

micki76
08-22-2004, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
Jack/Parson Russells were never really meant to be pets, honestly. They are working dogs, bred for hundreds upon hundreds of years to do a job ... find, hunt down and kill small animals, and do it all independently of any human assistance, intervention or commands. Therefore, they are fast, high energy, high prey drive, stubborn and often times aggressive. This is not their fault at all - that is how people bred them to acheive the desired results ... fewer vermin. My son calls Jack/Parson Russells "dogs on crack" ... and I think he hit the nail right on the head. ;) They MUST have training and an owner with a stronger will than they have. SOMEONE is going to be the boss in a terrier's pack, so if it's not going to be you, it WILL be them.

The behavior you descibe is not what I would call unusual whatsoever for this breed. Sounds to me like a JRT that has been allowed to get away with what he wants to, until it became too much for his owners to handle. That is exactly how I got Basil ... he growled and snapped at his timid owners, and he got his way. He scared them, and he ended up at the pound. He doesn't scare me, and we have reached an agreement ... I'm the boss. Period. You MUST be more stubborn and more dominant than the dog, or it will walk on you with all four feet.

Terriers are not for the faint of heart, but if you have the will and the intelligence to own them responsibly, they are the best of pets.

Shanna, you really hit the nail on the head here. Millie was a bit of a rebel rouser when we first got her. She tried to dominate my husband, but I never had any issues with her. She respected my position as alpha, thank goodness, or we would have been in for a REALLY long haul.

I blame it all on Fraiser and Wishbone (the TV shows). I actually cried when Wishbone came on. I knew that between the two shows it wouldn't bode well for the JRT's of the future. We've all seen what can happen when a smart dog is cast in a hit TV show or movie. :( Suddenly BYB's spring up on every corner. Then you have all the temperament problems compounded by ignorant people who don't know how to (or care to) bred a good quality dog. :(