PDA

View Full Version : Does your cat wear a harness?

Smare
03-27-2001, 11:33 AM
Hi,
Does anyones cat wear a harness? Do they like it, and do you take them on walks outside? If so, I would greatly appriciate it if you would let me know. I am intrested in getting my cat a harness and leash, but I don't know if it is a good idea.
Thanks,
-Smare

Ben E Gas
03-27-2001, 12:03 PM
i asked that very same question a few days ago. i'm sure you can find the posts. there were some good suggestions. I bought a harness and leash. i'm attempting to get him to be used to the harness right now. I also bought a collar. he hates it. it's a bad collar, it stretches and is easy to put on, but no matter how tight it is he slips his head half way out and then it gets caught in his mouth and around his head. so don't buy any type of stretchy kind of harness.

4 feline house
03-27-2001, 08:41 PM
Smare-

Ben is right, this has been brought up at least three times in the past month or two - I know because one of mine is harness trained! You can always do a search of the boards - it's a little tedious because you can't search all the posts at once, you have to go in and search each category seperately. Just select each category, put in "harness" as your search word, and leave everything else blank, and do that for each cat category, and you'll find them.

darkhorse1179
05-30-2007, 07:21 PM
I just got a harness for my 6 month old, new kitten and she acts as if it isn't there. I prefer the harness over a regular collar because it greatly reduces damaging her trachea and is more humane and secure. Imagine wearing a collar, pulling on it out of fear trying to find a place to hide, in the mean time litterally strangling yourself. Not cool. Stretchy harnesses are not cool either. ;)

Bengalz
05-30-2007, 09:42 PM
Smare,

We have trained our 3 year old kitty to wear a harness and leash and yes we go for walkies everyday! It took some patience and some time but it was well worth the effort. She walks really well with the harness and doesn't seem bothered by it at all.

I actually bought Eve a small dog harness which completely supports her tiny little body and one she can't wiggle out of ;) She looks adorable and catches a lot of attention from passers by who couldn't believe a cat would walk on a leash :eek: I love it because it gives us more opportunity to take her with us knowing we can put her into her harness and she's cool with it :D

Good luck with your decision.

Betty

mrspunkysmom
05-30-2007, 10:00 PM
Mine hate the harness, although I do harness them when we are on trips. Spunky can get his caught under the bed, and Sams is an ace at getting under stuff to snag the harness and remove it. Sams is very limber and giving him any leverage with the harness aids in his escape.

I like the idea, because it is easy for me to pick them up and it is less stress on the neck.

Good luck with it.

Anne

G535
05-31-2007, 03:09 AM
Anyone notice the date of the original post? :D

My Finnigan used to go for a walk every day with his collar and leash, some people used to laugh at us but we didn't care!

I hope I can train my next cat to do the same.

RICHARD
05-31-2007, 02:35 PM
The Edster gets into his harness, goes completely rigid and flops onto his side.

He won't move until I pick him up and remove it..

Yes, Good Luck! :)

Anikaca77
05-31-2007, 02:50 PM
I didn't until you mentioned it.

:)

My one cat Ashley I trained her to go for car rides so she would have a fear of going to the vets and I hold her when I drive and she loves it. As far as the harness, I did buy one and I make her wear it when we go for drives but I just recently started doing this so hopefully soon she will get use to wearing it when we go for drives.

Anyone notice the date of the original post? :D

My Finnigan used to go for a walk every day with his collar and leash, some people used to laugh at us but we didn't care!

I hope I can train my next cat to do the same.

Edwina's Secretary
05-31-2007, 03:03 PM
Eddie wears a harness when he goes outside. SOmetimes Edwina does too.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid197/pf2675737326fd29f2ebcffcb515d0c71/f0fb9c83.jpg

KittyGurl
05-31-2007, 03:32 PM
Angel wears a harness whenever we go outside. She doesn't like to go outside for a walk, but instead we get a long rope and tie it tight to the end of the harness to the little pole we have in our backyard so she can walk around and not run away.

cassiesmom
05-31-2007, 03:34 PM
Yay, an Eddie picture! Hey, there is a turtle in that picture with Eddie! I asked Edwina's Secretary to tell me more about the vest her cats wear, because I would like Cassie to go outside if we ever move to a place with a yard. Right now she doesn't wear one on the balcony but I just hold her when we go out. She won't stay out there more than a minute or two anyway. My sister's rb cats always wore a collar and leash when they were outside.

KitCat
05-31-2007, 04:40 PM
Cocoa has gotten used to the harness because he enjoys the additional freedom. He takes very well to training so it was easy. I also take him to the vet near my house on a harness because it scared him too much to be put in a cage.

catmandu
05-31-2007, 06:09 PM
I Tried One With Bo Bo And She Reared Back And Ran Like Jesse Owens And There Went Her Harness. I Did That As She Was A Roamer And Once Shared Dinner With 3 German Shepherds.
Thank God They Were Not Found Of Meezer Burgers.