PDA

View Full Version : IAM's death's?

CamCamPup33
08-19-2004, 06:16 PM
Cries of Animal Victims Will Sound as Activists Imprison Themselves in Cages

For Immediate Release:
August 19, 2004

Allison Ezell 757-622-7382

Toronto — With the agonized recorded cries of actual dogs in an Iams laboratory in the background, PETA members—some in cages and wearing striped "prisoner suits" and dog and cat masks to illustrate the misery of animals killed in crude tests—will protest cat- and dog-food company Iams outside a performance of the Iams Superdogs Show. The protest is part of the group’s international campaign against Dayton, Ohio-based Iams, which was launched last summer after years of failed negotiations:

Date: Friday, August 20
Time: 12 noon
Place: Canadian National Exhibition, at the Princess Gates

A recent PETA undercover investigation revealed deplorable conditions at an Iams contract laboratory. At least 27 dogs were killed, while others died of illnesses that went untreated, despite assurances from Iams that no animal in any Iams test would ever be deliberately killed. PETA’s investigator also found the following:

* Terrified dogs and cats confined to small, barren cages, some for up to six years
* Dogs whose vocal cords had been surgically cut out so that they couldn’t bark
* Dogs with untreated ear infections, rotten teeth, and injured paws
* Workers’ reports of a live kitten who was washed down a drain
* Kennels that were stifling during the summer and near freezing in winter
* Dogs force-fed vegetable oil through tubes inserted down their throats

In June, PETA filed a formal complaint with the Federal Trade Commission against Iams and its parent company, Cincinnati-based Procter & Gamble, for making allegedly false claims on the Iams Web site regarding the care provided to the cats and dogs used in the company’s research.

"We’re howling mad that Iams is causing misery and death for dogs and cats while feeding its customers a line of fiction," says PETA Senior Vice President Mary Beth Sweetland. "Dogs and cats shouldn’t be forced to suffer for Iams’ profits."

:eek: :( Do you think this is true? I mean it is PETA, Could it be true?

cocker_luva
08-20-2004, 06:29 PM
idk! but ive always feed Jesse some sort of IAMS food. right now its IAMS Weight Control: Adult Formula. (its the only food that agrees with her sensitive tummy) :D

sammy101
08-20-2004, 06:54 PM
that is to bad,but that is all my 19 year old cat can eat sence she has a sensitive tummy! she only eats their canned food.

dukedogsmom
08-20-2004, 07:32 PM
May they rot in hell for what they've done. They've got the blood of lots of innocent souls on their hands. I hope they can't sleep without nightmares about what they've done. No food is worth that kind of experimentation.

heinz57_79
08-20-2004, 07:36 PM
the only IAMS stuff we ever buy are the biscuits n such... No more. I refuse to have them profit off me and my babies. We will finish the box we have open, but I will never again support IAMS in any way. They should be ashamed of themselves. :mad:

Desert Arabian
08-20-2004, 07:55 PM
Yes, the life of a lab animal is not pretty. I belive most of it, except since it is PETA I am sure there are some things that are over exaggerated. I know there are medical places that do HORRIBLE things to animals, I mean HORRIBLE! I was watching Animal Planet and there was a story where a lady rescued a horse from a medical lab. They showed the horse with wires coming out it its belly- they would shock it and record data (of what exactly I don't know). They also pour chemicals on their skin to see their reaction, make-up is smeared in their eyes- it's sick. :(

I for one never knew there were drains large enough to put a kitten down- besides a sewer drain!? :confused: :(

Our cats are on Iams, it's the only brand they like, we are trying to find other foods- but they refuse to eat them. :(

catnapper
08-20-2004, 09:01 PM
Hmmm. I take whatever PETA says with a half belief. I beleive that they mightnhave animals with the above problems, such as surgucally removed vocal cords... but who's to say the dogs didn't come t them without their vocal cords. We only hear PETA's side of the stroy. My brother's SIL works in an animal testing lab, I should ask her about the policies they follow next time I see her.

Aspen and Misty
08-21-2004, 12:06 AM
I dont' know if I beleave it or not. But I do NOT and will NOT support IAMS - EVER.

I also will NOT support Procter and Gamble - I do NOT buy anything from them (not even my preciouse Herble Eccence :( [sp] )

heinz57_79
08-21-2004, 01:30 AM
One reason I tend to believe it is because IAMS is owned by Procter and Gamble. It's common knowledge that P&G test on animals, which is why I don't buy any product made by them; ie. Pantene shampoo, Head and Shoulders shampoo, Herbal Essences, etc. Which makes things difficult in the summer since my scalp gets dry. blah... :rolleyes: I think putting chemicals in animals' eyes is totally unneccessary. Of course it's going to sting! I think if you want to test a human product, test it on a human! At least we have the free will to know what we're getting ourselves into. NO animals should be used for testing. Just because they have no say in the matter, doesn't make it right.

Has anyone ever read the Plague Dogs, by Richard Adams? Good book. Heart wrenching. I had to stop and start several times to get all the way thru it. Definite recommended reading for anyone against animal testing.

sirrahved
08-21-2004, 08:01 PM
IMHO, like you said... it's PETA. They tend to exaggerate, lie, blow things way out of proportion. If it comes out in real news from reputable sources I'll change my tune.

lizzielou742
08-23-2004, 03:52 PM
I am originally from Dayton, where Iams is based. My best friend/former room-mates' step-mom works for Iams. I told her about this story and she FREAKED OUT, started accusing PETA people of sending their agents in to "plant" evidence of abuse and take pre-planned videos in an attempt to frame Iams. She said PETA was nothing but a bunch of freaking liars, they make stuff up to support their cause, yada yada yada. Which actually made me believe quite the opposite. Her overly freaked out response was obviously came from what her stepmom told her (b/c she had no facts nor had she ever heard any facts to back up anything she was saying), which is probably coming from what her bosses told HER. So I tend to believe Iams probably does have something to hide??

RICHARD
08-23-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by CamCamPup33

A recent PETA undercover investigation revealed deplorable conditions at an Iams contract laboratory.

IAM'S may be guilty by association...

A contract laboratory does the work that the contractor cannot or will not do.

In this case it may be a hand washing by IAMs or it may be that IAMs may not want to do the dirty work.

To accuse IAMs without knowing how much they knew about what was going on at this contract laboratory may be jumping the gun a bit.

wabbitwuver
08-23-2004, 06:44 PM
I think it's WAY over exaderated! A kitten rinsed down a drain, pfft! And why the hec would they cut out a dogs vocal cords?! Sure some dogs and cats might get a bit sick from it since it is testing but I highly doubt they let the poor animals suffer!

wabbitwuver
08-23-2004, 06:52 PM
yeah my dog eats IAM's anything else she hates and things she likes are too expensive....but my kitty eats Happy Cat...hehehe

binka_nugget
08-23-2004, 11:36 PM
The vocal cords thing is pretty believable. Some "responsible" owners *cough* do that. :rolleyes:

I don't know if I believe it all. I've seen the online video of the beagles in the lab though... it was horrible. I don't buy their products anyways. Ingredients aren't the greatest stuff, it's way overpriced for their quality and my dogs hate Euk/Iams.

aki
08-26-2004, 01:12 PM
I for one believe the allegations against IAMS. I think PETA is doing a wonderful thing trying to help these poor animals. Some may think that PETA tends to exaggerate things a bit, but sometimes the truth is too shocking for words. Someone has to be a voice to those with none. Otherwise no one would ever know what is happening. Honestly the best way to bring attention to your cause is sometimes controversial. Actors, musicians, politicians, and animal activists all do it. But you remember what they have to say don't you?

PETA sometimes seems a little overboard sometimes rescuing lobsters from grocery stores but where it really counts they are great. They have the funds to press prosecutors for longer sentences and more fines for people who abuse animals. Look a the recent KFC findings. They were not just released by PETA but from all news sources. The videos were sickening, but someone had to go in undercover to get the footage. They are not just going to show you what they do.

swimma253
08-27-2004, 09:42 AM
I hate to think it... but its true. Here is a link to the site.... its pretty awful.Iams Cruelty (www.iamscruelty.com)

K9soul
08-31-2004, 10:14 AM
Swimma, that page is put out by PETA, so of course it will "confirm" IAMs's cruelty.

I think it is probably like most things put out by a radical group. There may be some BASIS for truth, maybe one facility with more poorly kept animals than others, or maybe one bad employee who did something careless or cruel, but I doubt it is to the scope that they present, very much doubt it.

PETA has also, as mentioned, gone on crusades to save lobsters, beef cattle, and so on. There have even been things put out by them lobbying against pet ownership, that animals should not have to live as slaves to man or something. I think there are different divisions of PETA, but in the end it is all the same organization, and I cannot put any true faith into what is put out by them.

I think many people tend to believe the very worst too easily, with no proof other than PETA's own publications.