PDA

View Full Version : Can cats see in color??

Smare
03-27-2001, 11:29 AM
Hi,
Does anyone know if cats can see in color? I would appriciate it if anyone had a answer.
Thanks,
-Smare

wolflady
03-27-2001, 12:04 PM
Many believe cats can see in color, although not exactly the way we do. In tests, cats appeared to distinguish between the low to mid light wave spectrum (higher frequency), meaning cats
responded to the colors purple, blue, green and yellow range. Red, orange and brown colors
appear to fall outside cats color range and are most likely seen as shades of gray or purple.
Cats see less saturation in colors than do humans, meaning cats do not see colors as intensely.
Blue and green appear to be the strongest colors perceived by cats.

Smare
03-27-2001, 12:13 PM
Wolflady,
Thanks! Anyway, my two favorite colors are blue and green, so thats good for me! :wink:
-Smare

Smare
03-27-2001, 12:14 PM
Wolflady,
Thanks! Anyway, my two favorite colors are blue and green, so thats good for me! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/wink.gif
-Smare
(I forgot about the wink!! Oops!)

Troy
03-27-2001, 09:01 PM
Cats do see in colour but as, Wolflady points out, not as we do. Feline eyesight is very sensitive to movement, but not detail. Felines have very blurry "general" vision and that can only focus well on one thing at a time, it would be like us scanning the distance but only being able to see a small part of the view in detail by using binoculars.

Perhaps this explains why the most realistic looking toy mouse that lies motionless is ignored while a piece of string is considered a prime target...