PDA

View Full Version : Oldest Living Cat

lorettalyn
11-18-2000, 02:54 AM
Does anyone know how old the oldest living cat is? Also, there is a cat that was 33 years old in Texas in 1998, (was on CNN). Has anyone read about this cat in the last couple of years? Its name was "Grandpa Rex".

Paul
11-18-2000, 03:37 AM
For those who have not seen Grandpa Rex's Allen, CNN has a story (http://www.cnn.com/US/9802/03/fringe/old.cat/) on their website along with a short video clip of him at his 33rd [sic] birthday in February 1998.

Cats and Kittens Magazine made Grandpa their Cat of the Year (http://www.catsandkittens.com/articles/grandpa.shtml) in 1999. They note he died on April 1, 1998 at the age of 34 years, 2 months, and 4 hours.

I do not know how old the oldest cat is.

lorettalyn
11-18-2000, 03:55 AM
Thank you so much. I really didn't think that someone would be able to give me this information. This all started out as a school science project that my granddaughter had to do on cats. We stumbled across Grandpa Rex and I just needed to know if he was still about. I'm amazed. Thank you very much. I will show this to the granddaughter tommorrow.

Originally posted by Paul:

For those who have not seen Grandpa Rex's Allen, CNN has a story (http://www.cnn.com/US/9802/03/fringe/old.cat/) on their website along with a short video clip of him at his 33rd [sic] birthday in February 1998.

Cats and Kittens Magazine made Grandpa their Cat of the Year (http://www.catsandkittens.com/articles/grandpa.shtml) in 1999. They note he died on April 1, 1998 at the age of 34 years, 2 months, and 4 hours.

I do not know how old the oldest cat is.

HowieDawn
11-18-2000, 08:21 AM
My grandmother's cat died at the age of 19

Pam
11-18-2000, 08:23 AM
Here's to long lives for all of our fur pals!!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

lorettalyn
11-18-2000, 02:42 PM
I have heard of a few living twenty years or so but 34 - wow!

Originally posted by HowieDawn:

lorettalyn
11-18-2000, 02:47 PM
40 years would be great for us humans to have their company, but I wonder how that would set with the cats in question. I read that Granpa Rex would have been the oldest living documented cat if he had lived another 13 or 14 months to outlive a cat who lived to age 36, in the UK.

Originally posted by HowieDawn:

HowieDawn
11-19-2000, 01:50 PM
That poor kitty. When my grandmothers cat died (it's sad to say) but we were relieved. She developed allergies in her last few years. We named her Flower because she always played in the flower gardens. When she got her allergies she seemed miserable because she sneezed everytime she got near flowers. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif

------------------
"Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with a cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

AdoreMyDogs
11-19-2000, 03:39 PM
A cat that I had through much of my childhood was a long hair black cat who lived to be 20 years old. His name was Pierre. He had no health problems but one night he went to sleep and that was it. He died peacefully in his sleep. The only problems he had were that he forgot to groom his beautiful hair so it would mat if we did not brush him often. Also, once in awhile he forgot to go to the bathroom in his litter box, twice he peed on the dining room table.

lorettalyn
11-19-2000, 05:26 PM
Sad thing happening in my city, the city council is going to set about writing a "cat leash law". It boggles the mind to think that they think this could possibly work or be humane to cats. It is in response to the very vocal "cat haters" in the city.

If they manage to pull if off, I hope that they will be over-run with mice and rats. This is what happened in an exclusive part of Toronto, where they had all sorts of "bylaws" including what time children were welcome in the area to visit.

Originally posted by AdoreMyDogs:
A cat that I had through much of my childhood was a long hair black cat who lived to be 20 years old. His name was Pierre. He had no health problems but one night he went to sleep and that was it. He died peacefully in his sleep. The only problems he had were that he forgot to groom his beautiful hair so it would mat if we did not brush him often. Also, once in awhile he forgot to go to the bathroom in his litter box, twice he peed on the dining room table.

4 feline house
11-19-2000, 11:48 PM
Are you really going to make me break my promise not to keep getting on my soap box and offending people who have the bad luck of expressing an opinion that so greatly goes against my grain?

Originally posted by lorettalyn:
Sad thing happening in my city, the city council is going to set about writing a "cat leash law". It boggles the mind to think that they think this could possibly work or be humane to cats. It is in response to the very vocal "cat haters" in the city.

If they manage to pull if off, I hope that they will be over-run with mice and rats. This is what happened in an exclusive part of Toronto, where they had all sorts of "bylaws" including what time children were welcome in the area to visit.

I beg to respectfully differ. First of all, the "leash" is a euphemism of sorts for "indoor only". No one who endorses leash laws truly expects to see cats being taken for "walkies" the day after it passes. Maybe knowing that, your mind will be unboggled. Further, I truly doubt the roaming cats make any noticeable difference in the rodent population, since all but the ferals are well-fed and only "hunt" for the sport. And it boggles MY mind that people can really think that letting a cat roam is humane! How is getting smashed on the road by a car humane? How is getting shot by some clod who also likes to "hunt" humane? How is getting shredded by the next roaming cat who happens to be bigger more humane?

And as far as it being the "cat haters", more than likely it's also cat lovers who are just trying to protect the poor cats whose owners won't protect them themselves. I am more than a cat lover, I am also a supporter (time, money, and material donations) of abandoned cats, but I too support leash laws. Why? Not only the above mentioned, but to try and prevent something my INDOOR ONLY cats (and I) had to go through not long ago with the neighborhood unneutered, unleashed tough guy who would come onto MY property and proceed to fight my INSIDE cats through the window until he smashed it! I had to replace two windows and I lost track of how many screens because of the yahoo that owned this bullycat. Thank God no cats were hurt by the broken glass! I don't blame the cat, in fact I cried in pity for him, and he eventually quit coming around (I'm sure he was either run over or shot by another annoyed neighbor - very humane). I blame his irresponsible, uncaring, INHUMANE owners.

I'm sorry, I know I will catch it for "flaming" you, but I cannot let these comments go unchallenged. I know you're well-meaning, and I know you love your cats (if you have any, it's not clear from your posts). And before you even say it, no, I don't think you are a bad person, I just think you may have received some incorrect or incomplete information along the way about what life is like for an outdoor cat. But this is only my opinion - maybe after few hours volunteering at your local shelter and seeing all the unleashed cats being gassed (alot are abandoned or surrendered, but many are pets who got lost or trapped when allowed to roam)it will become your opinion, too. This indoor/outdoor thing was a very hot topic in a recent previous post, so others share your opinion, as others share mine. But since I'm often one of the people lending a hand in picking up the pieces of the roaming cat's lives, I will never get off my spay/neuter/confine soapbox. In the meantime...

...have a nice day.

Pam
11-20-2000, 06:41 AM
Lorettalyn This is in reply to 4 Feline House's comment about a previous post on cats being free to roam. I personally agree with her comments and don't really feel they were meant to inflame, but it is obviously an area where she has strong feels based upon her personal observations. Just click below to view all of our many thoughts on this subject.
http://petoftheday.com/talk/Forum13/HTML/000016.html

4 feline house
11-29-2000, 11:12 AM
Got this in my e-mail today:

EMAZING - http://www.emazing.com

Proudly Presents

The EMAZING Cat Tip of the Day - (TEXT)
Monday November 27, 2000

---------------------------------------------
Life Expectancy

The average life expectancy for a spayed or neutered
well-cared-for cat is now 15 to 17 years for a male and 17
to 19 years for a female. However, Ma, a female tabby owned
by Alice St. George Moore of Drewsteignton, Devon, UK, was
24 years old when she died in 1957. This record was
actually beaten by another tabby--Puss, owned by Mrs.
Holway of Clayhidon, Devon, UK. He was 36 years old when he
died in 1939. With modern veterinary practice methods, more
cats are now living into their twenties.

- Lisa Scott

---------------------------------------------------------

Email a copy of this tip to a friend