PDA

View Full Version : Need advice

caseysmom
08-19-2004, 12:43 PM
I have had my kitty for 13 years. For these 13 years she has been mostly an inside cat but does go outside for short periods of time. She is not declawed, since she is older I am not sure of her climbing ability. Last week my neighbors 2 dogs got into my year through a good neighbor gate and killed my duck, it was very heartbreaking and I had just let my kitty out so I was afraid they got her too, thankfully she escaped. Needless to say that gate is nailed shut now, my dog has been such a sweetie with our animals that I was pretty shocked and am scared to death for my cat now, what if she gets over their fence?

I have really been trying to keep her in but she is bent on getting outside I try opening a window so she can get some fresh air but that doesn't help. Any ideas? She was also in love with our duck and now goes in the backyard and looks for him and meows...its really too sad for words, he was her "boyfriend" he chased her all around the backyard quacking.

Cataholic
08-19-2004, 01:21 PM
I see that you have two choices:

Keep the cat inside, ensuring NO attacks happen to her, OR

Let her outside on occasion, and risk the possibility of an attack.

For me, it is a 'no- brainer'.

caseysmom
08-19-2004, 01:25 PM
I totally agree I just need advice on helping her deal with the inside only...she will try very hard to sneak out and I am always afraid she will get out I guess I just need to stick with the new rule and she will eventually give up.

I think I will just keep a window open for her with a screen when I am hope so she can smell the outside and see whats going on.

Karen
08-19-2004, 01:29 PM
Yup, I'd just keep the window open but be SURE the screen is firmly in place, just in case. She WILL adjust, given some time.

Poor you, and poor kitty mourning your duck! :(

caseysmom
08-19-2004, 01:40 PM
Thanks Karen its just awful:(

kimlovescats
08-19-2004, 01:43 PM
So sorry to hear about your duck.:(
Yes, I agree ... kitty will adjust to being indoors ... and you won't have the heartbreak of losing another pet!;)

DJFyrewolf36
08-19-2004, 01:46 PM
Poor kitty! Adjusting will be hard for her, but if you keep her active with toys and such and let her at least see outside, hopefully the transition will be easier.

RIP little ducky :(