PDA

View Full Version : Peanut's New Carrier

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-19-2004, 10:24 AM
She loves it!

I got it last week and set it up upstairs. I opened the front and the side so she could explore it at her leisure. Knowing she likes little hidey hole kinds of places, I wasn't surprised when I saw her checking it out.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid134/pb379e23a6a811a3d4802a1746dcdf31a/f770edd4.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid134/p4625ed079e39903f0e39fef6ab3f3812/f770edcc.jpg

She then scratched on the flap a little and layed down!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid134/pe42c50df1046d2ea3c8ce9645525d346/f770edd1.jpg

She stayed for about 10 minutes, then I think she heard her daddy in the kitchen, but I was amazed that first of all she checked it out and second of all that she stayed in for a bit! With her other carrier, as soon as I brought it out she hissed and ran and would never come anywhere near it.

Now, she is evidently enamored with it. She wasn't anywhere around this morning when it was time for treats, so I headed upstairs thinking I'd find her in her little bed. I was wrong, here's where she was.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid136/p17926647d8c07077f6e32daa70c1d98d/f75c11a5.jpg

And a side view.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid136/p04c2b19a9f6f46dd9ae71f734dd59a90/f75c11a3.jpg

I put a little towel in to make it a bit more comfy, and I will admit that last week I tried to bribe her into liking it by putting some catnip and a mousie in it - guess it worked! :D

For those who are wondering, it's a Samsonite Pet Traveler. One side zips down, one end zips down and the top has two zippers. One reveals the mesh type material to give them more air/viewing space and you can unzip that too to get them in from the top - which is what I do. I think it was about $50.00 or so at PetSmart. Kind of a lot of money for a carrier, but now I know that she likes it so much, it was worth ever penny!

Now, I have a question, I don't want her to associate stress with this carrier, so do you guys think when it's time to go to the vet I should continue to use the old carrier? Or do you think by using this one her stress at having to go to the vet will be eased a little? I'd hate to use it to take her to the vet and then have her hate the carrier, but if she's more comfortable in it......what do you guys think?

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-19-2004, 10:29 AM
Oops, forgot to attach a little video. This was last week at the same time the first pics above were taken.

sirrahbed
08-19-2004, 10:31 AM
That looks like Boomer's new carrier! The one Missy bought:) If it is, Boomer loves his!! She is using it as his safe and cozy bed. She has taken him out in it once, which he did NOT like, but once home, it is still his safe place:D

Edwina's Secretary
08-19-2004, 10:32 AM
I would still use the hard carrier for the vet. Eddie LOVED his German Vitamin paste....until I used it to pill him. After that he would have NOTHING to do with it. He has finally decided to love it again but I will never use it to pill again.

Does my analogy make sense?

DJFyrewolf36
08-19-2004, 10:33 AM
I think the stress of going to the vet will be lessened with the new carrier because she has already associated it with relaxation and fun. I think it was a great idea to put some toys in there. Now, she has a familiar place with her while going into a stressful situation and since it smells nice and friendly (Im sure the old carrier had that icky white coat smell that kitties hate) she will be more willing to just pack up and go.

Remus hates carriers period. I think he is claustrophobic or something. He yowls and cries every time I put him in a carrier, and I know it isn't the vets thats stressing him out because when he went for his shots, he fell asleep! Silly boy! Can cats be claustrophobic? Would a carrier he could see out of help? Sorry to answer your question with more questions but now Im curious! Maybe that samsonite carrier would be a good idea...

jazzcat
08-19-2004, 10:36 AM
She looks so sweet in it. I love the video. Amazing how she took to this but hates her old carrier. When I bring in the carrier Ripley is no where to be found. He knows what it sounds like as I'm carrying it in from the garage and has disappeared by the time I get it through the door. I wonder if this carrier would make a difference? What is the size limit on yours?

Cinder & Smoke
08-19-2004, 10:42 AM
Hmmmmmmmm... ???

Like we "understand" how our lil Feline Friend MINDS work! :p

IF you use it for a while for only Happie Tymes -
back and forth to the Motor Howze -
you *might* be able to slip in a Vet Visit :eek: without too much *fuss*...

Boots used to :eek: *FEAR* "car rides" -
they ALWAYS ended at the Vets! :mad:

But after he began "riding to work" so I could monitor his
urinary problems every day - he bagan to ENJOY :) "car rides"!

I'd go for at leas ONE Vet Visit in the NEW Carrier...
then see how she reacts on the next trip out to the Moter Howze.
IF you get a bad reaction; go back to the OLD Carrier for the
Vet Visits; and let the NEW Carrier be only for Happie Tyme Campin Trips!

;)

Randi
08-19-2004, 11:06 AM
Phred beat to me to it, I was gonna say the same!

I think once Peanut associates this new carrier with a vet visit, she won't be so happy about it, but give it a try! :) If she's unhappy, then put her in the old carrier for vet visits.

The one you bought looks really good, and Samsonite is quality, but I wouldn't dare put him in it, I think he'd be out in less than 2 min. :eek:

After trying several ways of getting Fister in the box, we decided to try and put the box out a few days before we travelled, and much to our surprize, he went in and took a long nap. :D I had put a towel and sprinkled some catnip. ;)

Of course, at the important moment, he was nowhere near it. :rolleyes:

K & L
08-19-2004, 11:10 AM
I've been wondering how these types of carriers are! Been wanting one myself, so glad to hear the good report! I guess if you bought the new carrier, might as well use it!:D Our cats get stressed no matter what when they know it's vet time! I bring out the carrier and they all scatter! We have to hide it in the bathroom at least hours before time, then put them in it there. That way even if they by chance escape our grasp, they don't have far to hide!

kimlovescats
08-19-2004, 11:17 AM
Funny you should ask, Debbie ... I was wondering the same.
I almost think I wouldn't risk having her turn against her new carrier. Afterall, it is now what she rides in while she is vacationing in the motorhome, right?:eek: Why mess up a good thing, since you already have the old yucky plastic vetmobile!!! :eek: :D

Cinder & Smoke
08-19-2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by kimlovescats

Why mess up a good thing,
since you already have the old yucky plastic VetMobile!!!

:D

Lot to be said for THAT line of reasoning, too!

;)

catmandu
08-20-2004, 09:02 AM
Peanuts looks so happy,the Found Cats want a Soft carrier Too,MMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWW HOOOOOOOOOOO!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-20-2004, 09:42 AM
Well I can see you guys are as conflicted as I am, but I since she doesn't have to go to the vet anytime soon, I can ponder it for awhile and not have to make a decision anytime soon. Thanks for all the input! :D

She was snoozing in it again last night, so it's not just a flook thing, she really likes it! :D

Sirrahsim
08-20-2004, 05:19 PM
hehe yes Boomer likes to snooze in his Samsonite carrier too:) He like to jump in through the top, but crawl out through the end. He even likes to drop his little fake mice through the top and then run around to the end to "catch" them again:D :D :D I have taken Boomer out once with the hope of getting him accustomed to riding in his carrier. We just drove around the base and I got him a jar of cat food. He hated the ride and wouldn't touch the baby food at first, but once we were back home, the carrier was back on the floor open, and the jar of baby food was left unattended he was back to his old self. He still liked the carreir once the initial shock of being taken out of the house wore off:) I hope Peanut is as easy going about it as my Boomer is:)

catcrazylady
08-21-2004, 08:02 AM
I really really like that new carrier! I have seen a few hard carriers that open from the top and I want one so bad! We did go look at a few but they were all too small for some of my brats. I ended buying a new big one that only opens from the front but it had a big door so I don't have to "stuff" them in and get shredded as bad.:eek:

Peanut sure loves her new bed/carrier! She is such a pretty girl! I think I would agree with Kim's take on it. Why mess with a good thing. New carrier means fun trips with mom and dad, and old carrier means nasty white coat trips!!

Laura's Babies
08-21-2004, 09:13 AM
As all of you have heard from me before on kennels.... I leave mine out in the living room and bedroom and these are my babies "safety zones", their "beds" and such. They sleep in them a lot, they are part of my house, like my sofa and chair. When they are in them, no one is allowed to touch them, it is their own, personal, private space. So, they sleep in them a lot at home. They do not associate the kennels with vets or car rides ONLY...They associate them with "SAFETY ZONE".. Sometimes when it is time to go to the vets, I pick up the kennel and put it down, they will get in it all by themselves, with Amy and Giz, it is a race to see who can get in there first. Vet visits are so few and far between that by the time it is time to go back to the vet, they have forgotten about him and "that place".

Since my job requires that I leave them with their second families, they do travel more than most kitties. As long as Chester is in HIS kennel, he is happy to just sit up and look around. Amy does NOT like traveling and she just lays there, looks at me so pitiful and howels!! Having Giz in the kennel with her helps a LOT. Midnight does not like traveling either.

Anyway to your question, I think if you leave that new kennel where she can nap and play in it and it is a part of her everyday life, it will help comfort her when she goes to the vet. It is a place she will feel safe and comfortable in and she will not be nearly as scared.

And remember to ALWAYS, BELT those kennels in with the seat belts! These are your fur kids and they should be treated as valuable cargo!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-24-2004, 10:13 AM
So everyone knows about Peanut's house in the dining room. It's a nice brick, suburban type house with flowers around it. Well, she now has a vacation spot. Her carrier is upstairs and she is going in it regularly now, so we've decided to call it her cabin up north. So she was sitting on the front porch of her cabin last night when her daddy got home. Then Terry and I were downstairs and I asked him where Peanut was and he said she was up north in her cabin. Next thing you know I'll be printing out pages of logs to use as siding on her carrier....:rolleyes: ;) :D

slick
08-24-2004, 10:22 AM
OMG Debbie, that's just too funny!!! :D :D :D
If you do put logs on the side of the carrier, then I definitely think she needs a trail leading to some beachfront property.

Killearn Kitties
08-24-2004, 10:57 AM
Miss Peanut now has TWO properties!! :eek: She is becoming quite a tycoon!

Edwina's Secretary
08-24-2004, 11:08 AM
I was thinking maybe a grass hut but since it is "up north" I guess it should be a log cabin!