PDA

View Full Version : Did you ever feel...

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
08-18-2004, 11:29 PM
Pressured by grades?

I recently got my end of the year report card (I still had a library book... whoops! :o ) and I got a C on 3 of my exams, but 3 B's and 4 more A's as my final grade.

My mom did NOTHING but lecture me the whole way home about me not being average, but being ABOVE average.

IT DRIVES ME CRAZY!

She doesn't realize that I try my hardest and she also doesn't realize that the last Quarter of school was when they almost got DIVORCED. :mad: :mad:

Were your parents strict about grades? Mine are... and always will be. I can NEVER make them happy. No matter what I do. :(

dogs_4_me
08-18-2004, 11:35 PM
My parents only getting mad about grades when they no i havent "tried my best" (not handing in homework, avoiding test days ect lol) i stopped that a couple years ago tho lol. But when they no i tried my best they dont get TOO mad when i get a bad mark! lol.

BCBlondie
08-19-2004, 02:14 AM
I understand how you feel when your parents put the pressure of doing well in school on you. My parents also used to be really strict. Now they don't even tell me to do my homework - they just expect me to do it. They started to stop pressuring me so much when I entered high school and realized I was old enough to know that I have to get my work done on my own. I've gotten C's and stuff before too, but I never really got lectured on it... they know I tried my best. Also, we never got allowance growing up, but one of the ways in which we DID get money from was grades - $10 for an A, and $5 for a B... or was it $5 for an A and $1 for a B... I don't remember lol.. But knowing I get money for good grades drove me to do better. :D

neko1
08-19-2004, 06:14 AM
I was never pressured to do well, I just did well for my own sake. The only thing my mother wanted was for me to go to college and to get a better education than she had. I'm pretty much the only one in the family to go to college so it was a big deal. But I was not pressured into getting good grades.

In high school, I was on the honor roll for the most part (I did get a couple of C's but I never got any slack from my mother). And in college I graduated cum laude. I did that for myself and it made my mother proud, I know. :)

I always wished I was one of those kids who was given cash for their grades, but that never happened.:o

Logan
08-19-2004, 07:06 AM
Pressured by grades?

YES!!!! My parents had VERY high expectations. They were both honor graduates, straight A's through college! And to top it off, my mother was a teacher too! It drove me crazy being constantly under pressure like that.

Now that I have my own teenager, I find myself expecting the same thing, but so far, I haven't had to nag too much. :)

Remember that everything they say about it is out of love and desire to see you a step ahead of your peers. But I know how annoying and upsetting it can be too. Hang in there!

catnapper
08-19-2004, 07:27 AM
Hmmm... my parents NEVER pressured me about grades, so I never studied, never tried. I got mostly Bs & Cs and it wasn't until college where I realized I could have been an A student if I only applied myself. I always wonder how different my life would be if I worked instead of floated through highschool. I feel I let myself down.

That said, I have three teeenagers. My husband is a teacher. We feel grades and applying yourself is VERY important. All three of my kids are involved in their school in leadership roles and they all play sports year round for the school (and on private club teams) We realize that these extracuricular activities take away from their study time, so we don't expect perfect stariaght As... but we DO expect a 3.0 GPA or better. When one falls below that, we make sure they have a tutor in whatever class they are struggling.

PS: How many classes do you have? My kids get a total of 6 final grades. Seems like you have many more classes too. Also, do you go year round? Seems late to have final year grades just as most kids are going back to schol after a summer break. Just curious! :)

binka_nugget
08-19-2004, 07:34 AM
My parents are really relaxed about grades. My dad doesn't even know what grade I'm in, never mind what grades I'm getting. My mom expects me to try but I'm sure she doesn't expect A's from me anytime soon.

I have a friend who's constantly being pressured to study harder and get better grades. I feel really bad for her. She tries so hard to please her parents. She gave up her summer to go to summer school to retake a course she had already gotten a fairly good grade in. She always seems so stressed and never has time to enjoy herself.

Jods
08-19-2004, 07:46 AM
Your grades sounded GREAT to me mostly A's and B's.... Be happy parents just want the best for their kids I don't think your mom is trying to put so much pressure on you I'm sure she's proud. I think you did great... Keep it up. It's woth it in the end when you get to choose what college or University you want to go to since you were accepted to so many they can't choose you lol ;)

:D

Toby's my baby
08-19-2004, 09:21 AM
My parents have never cared about my grades and they never get mad. This might sound 'odd' but I think I get more mad at my self for getting C's, D's, or F's

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
08-19-2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by catnapper
PS: How many classes do you have? My kids get a total of 6 final grades. Seems like you have many more classes too. Also, do you go year round? Seems late to have final year grades just as most kids are going back to schol after a summer break. Just curious! :)

I took five exams, and there was no exam for PE and Band. So I had seven classes, this year eight... :eek:

And I got my report card now because I still had a library book :o and I just returned it Friday and they gave it to me then. :o

Desert Arabian
08-19-2004, 12:51 PM
24/7. I am the only child in the family so my parents expect the best out of me when I am in school. For the longest time I was doing terrible in school because I was not studying for tests, not doing all my homework, etc. I was getting some B's but mainly C's and D's- let me tell you my parents were not happy campers at all- and truthfully neither was I. So I finally got my act together this year and worked as hard as possible in school. I got all A's and B's one C and one D. I had a C in the D class- but the final exam I bombed. I also got "honor student" at my school based on overall improvement. This year my goal is all A's and B's the lowest I want to see on my report card is a C.

I need to do really good this year so my chances of getting accepted into Bel-Rea Veterinary Institute (in Denver, CO) are higher.

MariaM
08-19-2004, 02:10 PM
Well...thats sort of hard to say. My dad doesn't care, as long as we try. He wouldn't be mad if I got a 50. My mother, on the other hand, expects me to be top of the class (7 kids last year). I really hate my family/school situation. My brother was always the smartest in his class (again, probably about 8 kids) and then when he went to high school and had larger grades, he was pretty close to top. He always had 95/96 averages. He graduated with the highest grades (63 kids). My sister has always done well, she mostly gets 80-90's. My brother 'slacks' and he gets 70's +. I always get 80's-90's. It's not that I'm smart or anything, its just that there is no competition and our school is slack.. But anyway, its like this. If there is a test and everyone gets 60 and under, and I get 65, my mom will be mad. It seems like she wants me to get 85+ ALL THE TIME, AND get the highest. But when I do, she doesn't act like she cares at all. She gets mad when I do bad, but when I do good she sais "That's good" and just walks away. It is extremely hard to please her.

We have never, ever, ever gotten any money for grades. All of us know that we are 'expected' to do good. I hate that, because it's like I have to do good all the time, every single time. I'm jealous of kids who get $20 when they get 100% on things EXTREMELY easy. It just makes me mad, how I do good, but my parents never seem pleased. Yet if I do bad, they'll get mad. I guess its a weird topic for me...I am definately not bragging, because there is nothing to brag about. Like I said, the work is not that hard. It's just...I don't know, weird.:o

dappledoxie
08-19-2004, 02:34 PM
My mom just wants me to do my best, and usually I've done just fine. I've made As and Bs all through high school I saw my first D in college, boy was it a hard class though. I have made some Cs though, all through my school career though. I hope to see only A and B this time at college. :D

EssTer
08-19-2004, 02:39 PM
My parents are quite strict about my grades.. because they tried hard to get me to Iceland and I could go here in school, and they just feel really sad when if I get low grades...

Harmanie
08-19-2004, 02:42 PM
My parents are VERY strict about my grades. I can't have anything under a b. :mad:

But if I have like a c+ or something, And the effort/behavioral thing is outstanding than its okay!!! :rolleyes:

But oh ya, feelin your pain! lol