PDA

View Full Version : Does your kitty stay inside or out!?

dogs_4_me
08-18-2004, 11:20 PM
Some of you might of read my thread before on getting a raggdoll kitty! Well the right one came along, it is a shelter kitty. They believe the mom was a raggdoll. SHe is adorable, i named her Maddie. The only problem is she is so used to living outside, the first night she hardely left the door, scratching to go out. My childhood cats have all been indoor cats and they went outside on a harness. I dont know what to do, i would prefer her to be a inside cat, but is that kind of torturing her!!!? Please let me knwo what you think!!!

shais_mom
08-18-2004, 11:39 PM
I guess it really depends on where you live. Here in the states, in my humble opinion - indoor is best. I know some people have good luck with indoor/outdoor but my Kylie is indoor only unless it's an oopsie. I sometimes take her out on leash but she isn't crazy about that as she would rather be running like a banshee which I don't allow. It absolutely isn't torturing her, if you give her plenty of stimulation and play time activities.

rg_girlca
08-18-2004, 11:39 PM
Try not to worry about it. It is not torturing to her. It is much better to keep her as an inside kitty. It will take time and patience on your part to train her to stay inside. She will adjust in time.
When she starts to scratch at the door, get her attention by playing with her. If she continues, you firmly tell her no and try to distract her with something else. If it gets to be too much, use a squirt bottle on her. I had to do these things myself when I took in a stray cat who I named Toby and he did just fine. It could take a couple of days, it could take a couple of weeks, depends on how consistant you are with this and depends on the cat. Once you are satisfied that you have suceeded in keeping her in, then, if you want, you can start to train her on a leash to take her outside.
Good luck and keep us posted.
By the way, congratulations on your new kitty Maddie and i'm so glad that you got her from a shelter. :D

dogs_4_me
08-18-2004, 11:50 PM
thanks guys. Its a huge relief to knwo that its not like torture for the poor thing to stay inside! I was going threw all must options( my last and worst one was to give her to a home where she can go outside!!) I went on a HUGE shopping spree for her, and she is addicted to her mouse toy..thanks for the idea of getting her attention when she scratches to go out lol her mouse toy works like a charm. Shes taken a huge love to my dogs as well. (Infact Emma and her are sleeping together right now. )she also loves to sit on top of her scratching post and look out the window lol. Im so happy i got a rescue kitty!

DogLover9501
08-18-2004, 11:53 PM
I dont have much advice...

But I want pictures!! :D

A Raggy is my future cat!

neko1
08-19-2004, 06:05 AM
My kitties are also all indoors. Cookie was an outside cat that we managed to catch and she's had no problems being an indoor only kitty now.

And yes, pictures please!:)

Jods
08-19-2004, 07:01 AM
Hi
These are the first 2 cats my family and I have kept indoors for the problem of neighbours! They poisoind one of our cats and another neighbour trapped another, and we fear them getting sick or diseases from the tom cats or whatever... My grandmother lets her cats outside it just depends what you prefer maybe if you go to sit out on your patio or something you could get the kittly a harness and a really long lead and at least she could get some fresh air maybe it would fulfill he outdoor need... I dunno...
When I get rich (hahaha yeah right);) I'm gonna get someone to build me like a big playpen outdoors for my cat with trees and everything for her to climb haha maybe someday.
Jods

catnapper
08-19-2004, 07:40 AM
Both of my boys are indoor only. Allen was an indoor/outdoor cat for the first 10 weeks of his life, and it was just as hard teaching him not to go out as it was Pouncer. They both just wanted OUT. They darted for the door the moment it was opened. You'll learn to get really good at elaving the house while looking for a cat! :D But eventually they realize just how good they have it inside and have no intense need to go outside.

catmandu
08-19-2004, 08:31 AM
The Found Cats,are all indoors,as there a lot,of mean people,and the Stary Cats,might be carrying Fleas,or disease! The Found Cat Enclosed Back Porch,is coming next year!

sirrahbed
08-19-2004, 08:36 AM
Hurray for you getting a Ragdoll mix from the shelter! I definitely agree that it is NOT torture to stay indoors. It is safe and secure. Lots of company and things to do:D Pictures sure would be nice!!;)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-19-2004, 09:22 AM
Congratulations and welcome to Maddie! We need pictures!! ;) :D

T & P are also inside only, outside on a leash only, or in their new little cage thingy. She will soon get over her wanting to go out, just keep being firm and distracting her. You could take her out on a leash, but I wouldn't do that until she's been with you for at least two weeks. That way she'll have a good sense of "home" just in case she gets loose or anything. It would be terrible to loose her so soon after you just found her.

Now, about those pictures......;)

christa
08-19-2004, 09:27 AM
Josie is an INDOOR ONLY kitty! The thought of FLEAS gives me shivers!!! She had them when we brought her home from the shelter and I could barely sleep until we got her some Advantage.

If your cat is anything like mine, once she gets used to it, she won't want to go outside. I know that we could leave the door wide open and Josie hunkers down . . . acts like she's scared to death.

Indoors is best!

nibblets
08-19-2004, 09:42 AM
Julie is an indoor cat unless I take her outside on her leash. I don't take any chances on her being loose in the neighborhood. There is too much traffic and other things like fleas, dogs, and a neighbor with an air rifle (who I saw use it to chase another cat out of his yard one day).
So there is no way she is going to be out there on her own.
Here she is outside on her leash:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid121/p9e040100b5b86e89b125c35103eb1833/f85282b7.jpg

DJFyrewolf36
08-19-2004, 10:44 AM
Remus is a major indoor kitty. About the only time he even cares about what goes on outside is when the big outdoor tom decides to come and harass him.

mruffruff
08-19-2004, 01:37 PM
Mine are all indoor cats, except for the pen on the side of the house. I have an enclosure that allows them to be "outside" without being in any danger from dogs, cars or nasty people.

All were strays and learned to live inside after they were a year old or more.

Congratulations on getting Maddie from a shelter. It's great that she's getting along with your dog. Pictures?

Mary

Harmanie
08-19-2004, 03:00 PM
I have an in baby!!!

Well that and she is taking care of 6 kits!! lol
I wouldn't let her out! she would never run, But I don't want to have to worry about fleas and stuff! ~ick~ lol

dogs_4_me
08-19-2004, 07:12 PM
Trying to get pictures of Maddie but trust the camera to not work:rolleyes: ;) today she ripped a screen when i had my window open so she could go outside, lol she wasnt quick enough though!

carole
08-19-2004, 09:51 PM
My cats are indoor/outdoor, like 95 percent of the NZ cat population, however I am of the changed opinion, if you can keep kitty indoors, then perservere and DO IT!! as long as you have a cool house in summer, and warm in winter, and lots of things to keep them occupied, then go for it, it make take time, but others have vouched that it can be done, so GOOD LUCK, and in no time you will have a lovely content indoor kitty.

krazyaboutkatz
08-20-2004, 12:20 AM
All of my cats are indoor only. When I first adopted Sky he kept wanting and trying to go outside but this desire gradually stopped. Sometimes he'll still door dash but lucklily my front door opens up into a hallway. He was a stray and was thought to have lived with a feral colony.

Congrats on your new cat Maddie!!!:) Like others have said, we need to see some pictures of her. I'm sure she'll learn that living indoors is wonderful. Goodluck.:)