PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Nike

RubyMutt
08-18-2004, 08:30 PM
As I was leaving work today to go on my lunch break one of my co-workers, Susie, pulled me aside. She's the CEO's personal assistant. Shaun, the CEO, and his wife, who also works there, weren't in today. She informed me that was because their sweet Nike was being put down :( Susie knew I loved Nike so she wanted to let me know.

Nike was a greyhound - an ex-racer. They adopted her when she became "too old" to race and was retired. She was very timid, obviously not used to constant loving human companionship :( They worked with her and she became a very important member of their family. She also became the most loved "co-worker" in our company. She would often (at least a few times a week during her younger years) come into work with her mommy and daddy. It was always nice to go visit Nike when work was bringing you down. She always had a smile on her face and loved attention :)

Recently her age had been catching up with her (she was 13), her visits have been less frequent due to bad back pains and arthritis. A few days ago while she was at home she bumped Shaun's leg causing him to drop his coffee cup on Nike's paw. She started drastically babying her paw so they took her in for x-rays. What they found was worse than a hurt paw :( Her whole front leg was infested with bone cancer :( :( :( They shaved a bit of her leg, they described her skin as looking like swiss cheese :( Her vets did a lot of testing and came to the conclusion that giving Nike's current health, chemo would probably not be a good idea. That, if they were going to try and fight the cancer, a leg amputation would be their best bet. They were willing to do that, however the vet went on to say that it would be a horribly difficult procedure and recovery for Nike, and her chances of even surviving the surgery were very slim. He said if it were his dog, he would say his goodbyes, and put her down to end her suffering. That is what they decided to do. So, they took their two young children to spend their final day with Nike today :(

I'm getting teary eyed writing this. I didn't mean for this to become such a long entry, but I loved that girl :(

This is the second dog Shaun has lost to cancer. His first, he couldn't find it in him to "sign the dog's life away". So, he let the dog fight out the cancer until he couldn't fight anymore. He knew this time he couldn't watch his dog suffer again. It was a horrible decision he had to make, I know that all too well :( But I also know what it's like to watch your dog suffer. As horrible I felt letting Muffy go, it was peaceful to know that she didn't hurt anymore.

Please send good wishes to Nike at the RB. I hope she meets all the beloved RB PT dogs up there :)

RIP Nike, we'll miss you

Cinder & Smoke
08-18-2004, 08:38 PM
So Sorry :( for all of you -
Nike, her loving Family, and you...

Rest In Peace, Dear Nike -
and a Safe Trip to The Bridge.

/s/ :( Phred.

jenfer
08-18-2004, 09:10 PM
RIP Nike. :(

anna_66
08-18-2004, 11:17 PM
Oh how your post of Nike breaks my heart. I can't help but sit here and get teary eyed myself:(

I can only imagine how hard it was for this family to say goodbye to their beloved family member. Please let them know they will be in my thoughts and prayers as they say goodbye.

RIP and run forever pain free at the RB Nike

ramanth
08-19-2004, 08:41 AM
RIP Nike. :(

cloverfdx
08-19-2004, 08:47 AM
I am so sorry to hear the news. Run free at the bridge Nike :(.

pitc9
08-19-2004, 10:20 AM
RIP Nike... have fun running pain free at RB!!!!

Run like the wind Nike.....forever!

Queen of Poop
08-19-2004, 12:07 PM
:( I am so very sad to read about poor Nike. Sounds like she was well loved by all who were touched by her dear soul. My heart bleeds for her family. I know she will be welcomed across the bridge by my Sami and Trouble!

slick
08-19-2004, 02:22 PM
Oh this is so sad. RIP little Nike. You had a wonderful and loving Mom and Dad and I know they miss you just as much as you miss them. Play happy at the RB. :(

Sudilar
08-19-2004, 08:59 PM
Nike was truly loved. Run swift and free at RB, healthy again. My heart goes out to you and Nike's family.

LorraineO
08-20-2004, 01:11 PM
May Nike run when she wants and play at her leisure at the RB.

Many hugs to you and your friend.

dappledoxie
08-20-2004, 02:20 PM
Oh no, that is so sad, Nike sounds like such a sweetheart.. I'm so sorry!

manda_moo87
08-20-2004, 10:47 PM
Such a sad story (got me all teary eyed!) yet wonderful, that she found a loving family after leaving the track. I hope one day to adopt an ex-racer myself.

RIP sweet Nike...

wolf_Q
08-23-2004, 10:17 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this. Rest in peace, Nike :(

Logan
08-24-2004, 09:29 PM
I am so sorry about Nike. What an unselfish decision your boss and his family made, though. :(

tatsxxx11
08-25-2004, 06:27 PM
Shaun and his family are very, very special people and my heart breaks for their great loss:( How great their love and compassion to welcome into their hearts and home, such a deserving doggie as Nike. As hard as it was, it does sound like they did the difficult and courageous but compassionate thing, in letting their beloved girl pass peacefully to the Bridge. No doubt every minute of her life with them, she was cherished and adored and pampered; just as she should have been from her first day on this earth. I think many others will be deeply grieving the loss of Nike, especially those at work. I will be keeping Nike, Shaun and family and all who loved her in my heart and prayers. I know my RB angel, my beloved Jingles has already taken her by the paw and showed her around the Rainbow Bridge:) Please convey my most heartfelt and sincere sympathies on their great loss. I commend their compassion and their courage. It takes a brave and selfless soul to let go our beloved furkids, to ease their pain and suffering. Run healthy and whole again, Nike! You will be greatly missed but never, ever forgotten. You live on in ther hearts and one happy day, in the distant future, you and your family will be reunited. Love, Sandra