PDA

View Full Version : Lacey has a torn ligament!

chocolatepuppy
08-18-2004, 06:29 PM
Lacey was running across the yard last night and hubby said she just stopped and sat down. She then starting limping. Took her to the vet today and he feels she has a torn ligament. Gave her a anti-inflammatory/pain reliever and told us to restrict her exercsie for a few weeks This is gonna be fun. I told him she is wild. And now I have two dogs I can walk around on a leash in my *fenced in backyard* Isn't that special? Hubby is heartbroken. He and Lacey spend hours outside when he's out in the garage every night. I of course spend more time in with Mandy who can't run loose. Hopefully she'll be better in a few weeks or this could be an ungoing thing or worse yet she could need surgery! The vet doesn't think it is real bad as she will still put weight on it. Please wish us luck in keeping her quiet for awhile.

KYS
08-18-2004, 06:35 PM
Those ligaments can be a pain in the pututie. :mad:

Good luck keeping her quiet, an evil necessity at this
point. Rest! rest! rest!, to give her leg a chance to heal
and hopefully that will be the end of it.

Poor Baby sending lots and lots of hugs that she
will not need surgery.

RobiLee
08-18-2004, 06:37 PM
Oh my! I know exactly what you are feeling. We are going through the same thing here and they even suspect a break. We are headed up to the vet hospital tomorrow.

Good luck in keeping Lacey calm and quiet. Hopefully it will be able to heal all on its own and not require surgery.

Hugs for you Lacey! You be good and stay quiet so that leg can heal up.

Hugs...Robin :)

LorraineO
08-18-2004, 06:53 PM
Aww.. Lucy sends her love to Lacey and says be good and stay still... enjoy the time on the couch and eat as many treaties as your mommy will give........ this can work for you,,,,, it can,,,,,

I say take it easy Lacey,, and listen to Lucy,, shes right,,, enjoy your down time!!!!!

tatsxxx11
08-18-2004, 07:54 PM
Lots of love and good thoughts coming to you dear Lacey!!! Try and mind your Mom and get lots of rest so you can heal...and spend lots of "shop time" with your Dad:) We feel for you, trying to keep Lacey quiet. Come here for support:) Hugs and kisses to you Lacey!

Toller 42
08-18-2004, 07:55 PM
Poor Lacey:( I hope she's going to be okay. Good luck on keeping her calm, my Rotti broke her cruciate ligament in her knee and she can't play or run around for a year:eek:

chocolatepuppy
08-18-2004, 09:44 PM
Thanks everyone, I can't stand seeing Lacey like this!:( Took her out on a 6 ft leash and she peed, no problem. Next we'll see if she'll poop while on a leash. When I had to leash Mandy I would walk her for a 1/2 hour sometimes to get her to go. Maybe Lacey will take to it well because she knows there's something wrong with her. She's already figured out that if she comes up the basement steps she has to stay up here. My husbands pc is in the basement and she wants to be with him.The vet said she could go up and down the steps a couple times a day, just no running up and down them. So she's down there and won't dare come up to see what mom's doing or I'll shut the door.

Toller, the vet mentioned this could end up being like a 6 mo thing.

anna_66
08-18-2004, 11:09 PM
Oh Lacey, KYS is right those torn ligaments are a pain in the pututie! I remember trying to keep my Keisha from running and she just hated it.
I hope it heals sooner than expected and it's not a 6 month ordeal!

Hugs and kisses to you sweet Lacey!

cloverfdx
08-19-2004, 10:34 AM
Oh no poor Lacey :(, be a good girl Lacey a TRY to stay quiet ;), yes it is difficult but its for your own good in the long run.

Please keep us updated on how Lacey gets on, She will be in my thoughts and prayers. {{Hugs}}

Kona & Oreo's mom
08-19-2004, 10:37 AM
Poor Lacey! It seems many of us are trying to make our wiggly patients get the rest they need right now--me included. I wish you lots of luck!

I'll be thinking of you, Lacey, and praying for your speedy recovery!

chocolatepuppy
08-20-2004, 05:50 PM
Thanks everyone. After two days Lacey is at least putting weight on her leg. Of course she's on pain medication. We've been doing good keeping her quiet. It kills me though when hubby comes home and goes out to the garage and she cries(so of course she gets babied)she's used to going out with him most of the time. Mandy is getting a little jealous of all the attention I give Lacey so more babying for Mandy! Lacey's doing well pottying on leash, much better than I expected.

tatsxxx11
08-20-2004, 08:10 PM
It's going to be a rough haul but it sounds like Lacey is already doing a bit better:) So, she's a daddy's girl:) What a sweetie! And Mandy, you're being such an understanding sister! I'll bet lots of extra loving from mommy is coming your way! Keep up the good work Lacey!

Logan
08-21-2004, 06:09 AM
I hope she feels better every single day! :)

anna_66
08-23-2004, 07:57 AM
Glad to hear she's feeling better!

KYS
08-23-2004, 08:29 AM
Lacey, glad you are feeling better and better with
each day. Soon you will be able to go out with your
humans like you use to.

manda99
08-23-2004, 11:58 AM
hope things continue to get better!

chocolatepuppy
08-23-2004, 03:37 PM
*update* Lacey is doing well and adjusting to the misery of not running loose:( She walks on the leg and it's like it's a little slower than the other ones. We will continue to hold her captive:D . I just hope, like the vet said, it isn't really bad.Thanks for all the good wishes:) And Lacey says thanks too!

RobiLee
08-23-2004, 04:22 PM
Take it easy, Lacey and keep on healing! Just wanted you to know that I'm thinking about you.

Take care and hugs....Robin :)

tatsxxx11
08-23-2004, 04:24 PM
Slow but steady, that's the way to go, Lacey:) Keep up the good work, sweet girl. I know it's hard on you and your Mom:) You're doing great! BIG hugs to you Lacey:)

GoldenRetrieverLover_01
08-24-2004, 10:43 AM
Oh poor, poor Lacey!! I know what you're going through. You must be heartbroken seeing Lacey not being able to run and play like she used to. I hope she gets better in less than 6 months, and that she will be the same happy dog she used to be. Sending lots of hugs and kisses to Lacey, and my prayers and hopes will be with her. Buddy ( my golden) was once limping and we took him to the vet, gave him lots of rest and now he's a lot better. Good luck!:) Keep me updated.

cloverfdx
08-24-2004, 11:02 AM
Good girl Lacey try to keep from running about and continue being a good patient for your parents. :D

Well wishes still on the way for the sweet girl.

chocolatepuppy
09-01-2004, 09:08 PM
*update* Lacey went back to the vet today about her leg. It hasn't changed much except that I started noticing a popping sound when she walks.Well looks like Lacey will have to have surgery. Next Thursday, the 9th. And she should be fine, a fews weeks to recouperate though. But she's been good about the downtime so hopefully things will go well.Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers, I want my baby to be able to walk right again! :(

RobiLee
09-01-2004, 10:05 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope all goes well. I know what you mean about wanting your baby to walk right again. I'm praying that when Katie has her cast removed that all is well and she is walking like she should be.

Give Lacey a hug from me. Keep us updated please.

Robin :)

KYS
09-01-2004, 10:12 PM
Sending lots of good thoughts for lacey that her surgery
goes well.

Please don't forget to up date us.

chocolatepuppy
09-02-2004, 03:52 PM
Thanks, will keep you updated. I'll be a wreck the day of the surgery I'm sure! And she has to spend the night! Mandy will be so depressed without her!:( Not to mention mom and dad! :rolleyes:

cloverfdx
09-07-2004, 09:43 AM
Oh no i am sorry to hear Lacey is going in for Sir Jury, you will all be in my prayers for a speedy & easy recovery. {{Hugs}}

pitc9
09-07-2004, 11:02 AM
My GSD Mix at my parents house tore her ACL, she was only 2 at the time and she was better in no time!
Good luck to you and Lacey .... only a few more days!!!

I will be thinking about you both!

robinh
09-07-2004, 12:18 PM
Prayers for Lacey that she gets through surgery and is on her feet in no time.

chocolatepuppy
09-07-2004, 03:42 PM
Thanks everyone, I'm starting to get nervous!I know we'll all survive but I can't wait till it's over!

chocolatepuppy
09-09-2004, 04:00 PM
*update* Lacey came through with her surgery ok. The vet said both ligaments in her knee were bad, one completely torn. So looks like we did the right thing having the surgery. She'll come home tommorrow afternoon. Mandy is totally depressed. I'll have to really lay on the spoiling tonight but she wants her Lacey!

KYS
09-09-2004, 06:05 PM
Woo Woo WOo! Glad Lacey surgery went well.
Please keep us updated on her recovery.

pitc9
09-10-2004, 07:55 AM
I'm so happy to hear everything went well!

Now she just has to take it easy and let everything heal!!
:D

manda99
09-10-2004, 09:22 AM
Lacey will be better in no time! Smokey had surgery July 27th for basically the same thing and he's feeling great. The hardest part is how bad you feel for them when they finally do feel better and want to run and be active but you can't let them. :(
But her leg is gonna be like new soon. Hang in there. :)

-Amanda

tatsxxx11
09-10-2004, 11:35 AM
Oh, I'm so happy to hear that Lacey did so well after her sir jury! In no time, you'll be fit as a fiddle, Lacey:) Mind your mommy now and take it slow Lacey so you can heal! Lots of hugs and kisses to you sweetheart:)

Logan
09-10-2004, 12:33 PM
I hope the precious girl will be better in no time!!! :)

chocolatepuppy
09-10-2004, 02:26 PM
Thanks so much everyone. Lacey's home now and resting. Even though she is on pain meds I'm sure it still hurts. Mandy is glad she's home!
manda99-They said it could be up to 6 mo. on the leash:eek: We'll do whatever we have to do for her!:)

cloverfdx
09-15-2004, 10:40 AM
I am so glad to hear Lacey is home :D. 6 Months :eek: oh dear poor Lacey, i hope her recovery is alot quicker than expected.

Please keep us posted.

{{Hugs}}

pitc9
09-20-2004, 12:45 PM
How has she been doing???

chocolatepuppy
09-20-2004, 06:06 PM
pitc9- I've been avoiding an update because I'm not sure all is well yet. Lacey goes back to the vet Thursday. Mostly she is doing well,the incision healing nicely,walking as good as can be expected... Unfortunately she still has that popping noise on and off which returned shortly after the surgery. My vet is aware of it and didn't seem too concerned but I fear the worst is not over yet. I will update Thursday unless I drop dead :rolleyes: if the vet tells me things aren't looking good.
Thanks everyone for your concern and please pray Lacey gets better, I get so depressed sometimes because both of my dogs have health problems :( But of course no matter how bad it gets, I just love 'em both to death ;)

cloverfdx
09-21-2004, 08:18 AM
I will keep both Lacey and Mama in my thoughts and prayers that the Vet visit goes well. {{Hugs}}

chocolatepuppy
09-23-2004, 05:43 PM
*update* Lacey just got back from the vet. He feels we should give it some time, maybe 2 to 3 weeks, to see if it tightens up. Best way to describe it is a 'sloppiness'. He says the popping is not painful and just continue to restrict her until then. It seems that she's putting 70% of her weight on her leg and that would be normal for 2 weeks after surgery. If it gets worse they will do surgery and he would only charge for the anesthesia. Please everyone keep your fingers and paws crossed that Lacey doesn't have to have surgery again!

cloverfdx
09-24-2004, 09:22 AM
It seems that she's putting 70% of her weight on her leg and that would be normal for 2 weeks after surgery.
That is encouraging news :). I will continue to keep sweet Lacey in my thoughts and prayers that no more surgery is required.

Please give the sweet girl a gentle hug for me.

pitc9
09-25-2004, 08:01 AM
We are thinking about you and prayers are on the way!

chocolatepuppy
09-25-2004, 04:21 PM
Thanks. Hubby says now he wants a second opinion. Not sure what we're gonna do. Will give it a few weeks, maybe. I don't think it will get better on it's own, no matter how positive I try to be. But we'll see.

chocolatepuppy
10-16-2004, 11:03 AM
*update* I hate to keep this thread dragging on as it has been almost two months since this started. Lacey is going to have surgery again on the 21st. She walks with a waddle and her leg continues to pop! The vet feels it needs to be tightened up a bit. He is only going to charge for anesthesia.
Yes this dragging on is really wearing us out and we feel so bad for her. :( Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers.

chocolatepuppy
10-21-2004, 06:30 PM
Lacey's surgery went well. She'll come home tomorrow. The vet said he did something different this time so it would hold better. Said he never saw one of these come undone before.(go figure) Mandy really misses Lacey and that's so sad. She doesn't understand where Lacey is like we do. Now if we can just get her all healed up this time. Thanks for all the good wishes! :)

cloverfdx
10-22-2004, 11:59 AM
Oh no sorry i missed sending well wishes before Lacey's surgery :(. Sending plenty of prayers and get well soon wishes to Lacey. Dont worry Mandy your Sister will be home soon.

{{Hugs}}

LorraineO
10-22-2004, 12:08 PM
well lets hope that this time,, the surgery took the right way and she will be keeping you all on your toes once again soon!!!!

chocolatepuppy
10-22-2004, 02:14 PM
Lacey's home! I found myself in tears feeling so bad for her. She has a second incision now and this time it's staples and a few inches longer. :( When I took her out to try to get her to pee she collapsed, but seemed ok. Called the vets, they said she's just exhausted and weak. Also she isn't using the bad leg at all so her other leg would be tired. Lord give me the strength to get through this again, and this time is going to be a little tougher because they did more. In a few days we should see much improvement. The vet didn't charge me a penny. At least not yet!Please keep Lacey in your thoughts and prayers that she gets better. Thanks to all of you! Annette :)

LorraineO
10-22-2004, 02:20 PM
awww,,, poor lil Lacey,,, sending big puppy cookies and hugs her way,,, and a big ol cyber hug for you too,, hang in there!!!!!!!!