PDA

View Full Version : suggestions how to stop toms spraying....

carole
08-18-2004, 04:12 PM
I have quite a few un-neutered cats in this neighbourhood and it is their time to go hunting out the females, I discover my doorstep reeks of cat urine and its not my two and also the carport, I suspect my ginger friend and Buddy the grey cat at the back, but then it could be any cat really, it sure pongs, any home remedys for cleaning it up , so that they won't keep coming back, would be much appreciated.

Craftlady
08-18-2004, 05:47 PM
Set out moth balls and every 2-3 days (depends on if it rains) set out fresh ones. It does work. I would use an amonina/water mix to clean the porch area off.

heinz57_79
08-18-2004, 06:42 PM
I heard that using an amonia based cleaner isn't great because the amonia smell is similar to urine.

White vinegar I think does the trick.

carole
08-18-2004, 07:03 PM
Thanks I will try the white vinegar, because I have some of that in my pantry, only trouble is both my cats come in and out this door as well, I guess if they are not keen, then I will know it will work,besides it is to stop the same tom coming back , smelling his urine and doing it again, you all have such a wealth of information, I knew someone would beable to help, thank you both for your responses,much appreciated.

jazzcat
08-18-2004, 11:26 PM
I spray the offending area with Downy liquid fabric softener diluted with some water in a spray bottle. It seems to work and if nothing else you have that "fresh from the dryer" smelling doorstep!:D

carole
08-18-2004, 11:40 PM
Jazzcat I presume any brand of fabric softener would do,(we don't have that brand in NZ) only problem is my Ash seems to have a slight addiction to Fabric softener, I can just imagine a big soft grey doormat at my doorstep permanently if I use that., he would be forever smooching the doorstep, but thanks for the hint, if the vinegar does not work, thats my next try, I must admit the fragrance is a tad non-pleasing to my nose, so lets hope pussy out there thinks the same.

jazzcat
08-18-2004, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by carole
Jazzcat I presume any brand of fabric softner would do, only problem is my Ash seems to have a slight addiction to Fabric softner, I can just imagine a big soft grey doormat at my doorstep permanently if I use that.

Well now that could be a problem, LOL!!!!

As for Brand I don't know because I've always read to use Downy but I don't imagine it holds the magical ingredient so probably any brand would do.

Good luck!!!

catmandu
08-19-2004, 08:50 AM
I will try some,of those solutions,as the Front Porch,is starting to smell,a bit,from all the Stray Cats,marking the porch,as thier territory.I acnt blame them,as this seems to be thier only source,of Good Food,and comfort!

carole
08-19-2004, 03:31 PM
Gary the white vinegar seems to have worked so far, no new cat urine smells this morning, yes well I know they are only doing what comes natural, but it is annoying to me, as neither my cats spray, and these are not neutered cats, which angers me more, these are not strays unlike your sweet kitties.