PDA

View Full Version : bleeding heart plum pie

guster girl
08-17-2004, 10:36 PM
hey, all. man, i'm so mad at myself. i made this pie a couple years back, and, i thought it was from a better homes and gardens cookbook, but, i don't know where mine are, and, i'm not finding anything online. i know this is a long shot, but, if there's anyone here that can find a recipe for this pie, please post it! i won a baking contest with the recipe, and, would like to make it again. thanks!

Karen
08-17-2004, 10:59 PM
I bet I've found it, but I'm awaiting a confirmation email so I can log in and get the actual recipe ...

Karen
08-17-2004, 11:33 PM
Closest I could find without paying $:
(from http://justfruitrecipes.com )
Bleeding Heart Cherry Pie

1 Flaky pie dough recipe - a frozen unbaked pie shell and dough cut Outs
3/4 c Plus 1 tablespoon sugar
2 tb Instant tapioca
1 tb Cornstarch
6 c Pitted sour cherries
1 ts Almond extract

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place a piece of foil on the bottom of the oven to catch any drips.

In a large bowl, whisk together the 3/4 cup sugar, tapioca, and cornstarch. Toss in the cherries and almond extract and set aside for 15 minutes.

Remove the pie plate from the freezer and, using a pastry brush, lightly moisten the dough along the rim with water. Toss the cherry mixture briefly and spoon it into the unbaked pie shell. Place the dough cut-outs around the outside edge, overlapping them slightly. One the outside circle is complete, begin another concentric row of overlapping dough hearts. Leave a few open spaces here and there which will act as vents. If using different size cutters, use the larger ones near the edge and the smaller ones in the center.

When the pie is completely covered, brush the top lightly with cold water and sprinkle evenly with remaining tablespoon of sugar. Bake for 20 minutes until the pastry begins to brown. Lower the heat to 375 degrees and bake until the top is nicely browned and the juice is bubbling out, about 15 minutes more. Cool on a rack for at least 2 hours.
Does this look familiar? Just substitute plums for cherries?

guster girl
08-17-2004, 11:52 PM
yeah, i saw that one too, karen. thank you for looking up this recipe! i went on allrecipes.com and found a plum pie that sounds really good, although it's not the bleeding heart one. but, i'm still deciding. thank you again for looking it up, though! i'll post the recipe i end up using! :)