PDA

View Full Version : Off Leash???

dappledoxie
08-17-2004, 03:06 PM
Ok you guys, I have a question. I know there are many people here who can trust their dog off leash and out of fence so to speak, to run and play. I can do this with Rebel at moms, since I've moved back in there, it's really nice to be able to go out the door and let him run and play, but now I feel really bad for Claire, she's never been able to go outside and be off a leash since she was about 6 months old. I really wish I could let her run and play with Rebel, it's just not the same when you're not able to run but 16 ft. before you have to stop cuz mom can't quite keep up all the time especially with sudden changes in direction! lol :D Anywho, I don't know how trustworthy she is off leash and I definatley don't want an accident to happen like her getting lost or even worse running out of the backyard to the road. :( Ugh, makes me feel sick to even think about that. I really wish I could get a fence put up in the backyard but gosh, I just don't think I have the money with school and apartment fees for leaving early (Jerks *cough*) :(

Anywho, I was really hoping for some advice on the situation. Like I said I really wish they could run and play especially since they can't run around inside because of my mom and the room we stay in is so small. They will always be supervised, always so that's not a problem but we all know that if they will run off and won't always listen to a come command that they can't really be trusted for their own saftey. Soo I'm at a loss... Advice anyone?? Pwease! :D lol

Toller 42
08-17-2004, 03:11 PM
Can you get one of those leashes made for outside that you just stick in the ground with a metal thing? i don't remember what it's called but they come in silver, blue, red and green I think and they're kind of like a cord. I had to do that with Jesse when I went to my Grandpas for 2 weeks because she does listen really well but if she see's a Squirrel or a cat or something she'll go after it and I don't trust that she'll come back. I can only trust Tango and Tia off leash because Tia's too scared to leave our side and Tango is a really great dog and always listens when we're outside without a leash but for safety I usually always just take a really long leash with me so she can still have freedom but she can't get lost.

DogLover9501
08-17-2004, 03:17 PM
I know exactly how you feel!!

Because we can totally trust Wiggles AND Jasper off leash, I know that for sure. I have NEVER even had to tell Jasper or anything, he naturally stays around(There has been people AND dogs walking right past our house, and Jasper just runs to the end of the lawn and makes a dead stop :D

Piddle, however :rolleyes:, he always DECIDES that hes going to go for a walk by himself and he doesn't need to ask us or even let us know :rolleyes:

Lately I have been letting him outside with the other 2, and I have been staying very close to him, and if he even made an attempt to go further than the lawn, or didn't come back when I called him to, he would go right in the house!

He has been listening alot better after a few weeks, I don't trust him completely(and may not ever) but I can still let him come out and play with the other 2 if Im there, as he doesnt attempt to go for his own little walk as much anymore

dappledoxie
08-17-2004, 03:29 PM
Toller, do you remember how long they are, like how much length the pup can get and did they look heavy? Claire also does the thing of if she sees a bug or something floating she'll go right after it and pay no mind to me or anything else.

Robyn, you know that's a good idea, anytime she won't listen just end the play time. Right?

I thought before I'd heard Ashley (binka_nugget) say that she leaves a long leash on hers so that she can easily catch them? Is that right or am I thinking of something different? lol

cali
08-17-2004, 03:31 PM
mine are trained to always stay with us, there are no fully feced area to run dogs around here, and I would say its safe to let claire off if Rebel is fine because dogs stay with the pack, Ripley Runs away all the time you would thing we would never let Ripley off, but we will take all the dogs to an open feild and let them all of to play, they always run way off outa sight but they always come back, and when they come they always get treats for it, just to reinforce the comming back. never had a problem.

dappledoxie
08-17-2004, 03:35 PM
Yeah, that makes sense. The yard isn't too tiny, I try to make them stay in the back all the time. You know, one time when Niki was really young Rebel and her were out sniffin and he came back she didn't so I said Rebel where's Niki at, and I kept saying it and walking around, he started to go back to where they were and I saw her walking around sniffin still. lol I still to this day think he knew I wanted him to find her to be safe.

binka_nugget
08-17-2004, 03:36 PM
Yup, I leave a 20 footer to drag while they run around. It's usually in a mostly fenced place though cause I'm really paranoid. Maybe you can find a really light rope to leave on Claire (although.. light for Claire might be hard to find LOL). That way, you'd be able to grab her if she decides to bolt, she'll think she's totally off leash and you'll get an idea on how good she is off leash.

cali
08-17-2004, 03:41 PM
oh I'll tell ya how I trained Misty since she often has a mind of her own lol basicly since Happy is reliable I tied misty to Happy so where Happy went misty went, if I called Happy Misty had to come too, I kept doing this for a while till I started small tests letting misty free for a short time etc.. she is now perfectly reliable, at first though I never let misty off if Happy was not there too, Misty is now perfectly reliable off leash with or without Happy being there ;)

DogLover9501
08-17-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by dappledoxie
I thought before I'd heard Ashley (binka_nugget) say that she leaves a long leash on hers so that she can easily catch them? Is that right or am I thinking of something different? lol

Oh yeah!! I forgot to add that. When we were first taking Jasper on our walks in the woods trail, I would do the exact same thing just incase he wouldn't listen, that also works :)

dappledoxie
08-17-2004, 03:54 PM
Great advice everyone! :D Thanks so much!

Yeah, I'm going to give that a try, I'll see if I can find a longer leash that's light. She's only a whopping 7 lbs!

chrissycat21
08-17-2004, 05:00 PM
You could try conecting the two on a double leash and maybe she'll just stay with Rebel? It might work!

BCBlondie
08-17-2004, 05:34 PM
Do you have any off-leash dog parks that are fenced in? You can test her there first. Does she have a strong recall (comes when you call her)? If she doesn't come straight away after you call her, you might want to work on recall before you think about letting her off the leash in an area that isn't fenced.

My advice: If she has a good recall and usually stays near you (isn't one of those wild, hyper dogs that are uncontrollable and like to run off and stuff) and follows Rebel (which would be good since you said he listens to you), then maybe you can test her off the leash in an open field away from traffic and possible distractions (such as cats and squirrels). Or maybe keep her on the leash the first time, but just drop the leash.

DogLover9501
08-17-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by dappledoxie
Great advice everyone! :D Thanks so much!

Yeah, I'm going to give that a try, I'll see if I can find a longer leash that's light. She's only a whopping 7 lbs!

Awwwww 7 lbs!! :D

Good luck ;)

micki76
08-17-2004, 06:23 PM
Even though I can trust mine off leash, I would never place them in danger like that. At their size just about any other dog can kill them. I just wouldn't feel comfortable, even if they're by my side, cause I know something could happen in the flash of an eye. I would never forgive myself.

Our chihuahua was attacked when I was a child while off leash by a large, fast dog that just came from nowhere. I watched the entire attack and I guess I was traumatized by it. I know I'd never want to see that happen to one of my babies. :(

Whatever you decide to do, be very careful with them. They're too precious to have anything happen to them! :)

Shelteez2
08-17-2004, 06:58 PM
If a long leash is too heavy for her to drag around you can always go to a hardware store, buy a clip that is used on a leash and attach a length of laundry cord to it (the string people use to hang their laundry to dry).

I always use my 30' leash with dogs I am babysitting, or dogs I can't trust. I hate flexis so a drag line is a much better (for me) option.

Here's a pic of a papillon I took care of running with a drag line.
http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Aug/20048176344269567624254.jpg

And here's a pic of a beagle with the 30 foot leash attached.
http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Aug/20048173165982579907356.jpg

One other option is you can attach your dogs together if you are sure one will listen. I used to do this with my grandpa's pug. I'd attach him to Emily on a very long line because I know Em will listen.

kingrattus
08-17-2004, 07:34 PM
What my friend did for her rotti was use the extendable leashes as a rope. She would pull all the leash out & stick the handle inside the door & when he was finished she'd press the button & all the leash would come back & then she would walk him on it.

There r that type of leash for tiny tiny dogs. u could even stake it in the middle of the yard when u want to run her.

Those leashes r cheap too. Max's 30 pound cost about $10.00 cnd. & it wasn't a big name & its getting old & still works just fine. Except I don't have a dog to walk on it anymore. I just play with it now.

dappledoxie
08-18-2004, 01:35 PM
Dang, lol I've gotten kinda behind. I'm sorry if I leave anyone out :)

Robyn, hehe thanks! :D

Diana, I really don't think Claire does a "Come" well at all. She will only listen when she wants to. I'm going to start trying to teach her that better, any advice on how you guys do that. lol I guess I got lazy since Rebel and Niki both learned it very well.

micki76, You are super right, I don't want a thing to happen to either of them. I'm so worried about the road especially since my cat was runover. :(

chrissycat21, that's a pretty good idea, only thing with my two is they don't always stay very close to one another. They are kinda doing their own thing lol

Shelteez2, that's a wonderful idea, that stuff won't be too heavy at all and hey even if I hold onto it, she'll still have a long way to run with 30ft! :D I'll go to ACE and see how much it'd cost, my friends there would even put it together for me.

kingrattus, right now I'm using a tiny sized 16ft Flexi as a leash. So many I could get a longer one. Hmmm....

You guys are so helpful! Thank you so much, I've got a lot to think over now :D :D Thanks everyone!

kingrattus
08-18-2004, 08:31 PM
Oh I have an idea.

Why not do the clothes line thing???
That'll give ur pup alot of space to run & u can tie any king of leash/rope to the wheely thing.