PDA

View Full Version : invisible fencing???

yorkster
03-19-2001, 02:15 PM
I have a cat (soon to be two), that is always trying to dash outside, and I want him to be an indoor only cat because we live near a busy road. It has been suggested to me to use invisible fencing around the doors. I know this works as I was in a pet store awhile back, and they used it for their kitties. I guess my questions are: how does it work? Is it AT ALL painful/cruel? Is there anyone out there that uses it, or at least has info/knowledge on it? Trust me, my cat is very persistant at trying to escape, and we have a fair amount of company in & out. I worry a lot about him, and don't want him to teach the new kitten his tricks either. Also suggestions to solve the problem some other way would be welcome. I have tried the squirt water bottle, and he is not to bothered by that.

wolflady
03-19-2001, 03:09 PM
Spencer, you're absolutely right about the invisible fencing not being fool proof. It's really not an effective means to keeping pets inside the perimeter all day long. For short jaunts, I'm sure it's fine, but for a final solution it's not that great. When I lived in Indiana, we lived in a neighborhood that didn't allow fences, so a lot of people put up the invisible one for their dogs because they didn't want to put a leash on and take them out themselves. It got annoying because our neighbors had a golden retriever that they left outside all the time, and that dog was forever running "through" that invisible fence. Funny thing though, once he was out, he didn't go back in! So the fence effectively kept the dog out which allowed it to run free and do its business in everyone else's yards.
As far as effect on cats, yorkster, I'm not quite sure if it effects them differently than dogs. What happens is you fit your pet with a special collar, so when they get near the fence, they get a shock. Supposed to be mild on dogs...but I can't say for sure. It might work for you in that it might help keep your cat from dashing too far away. Sounds like you got a little rascal there!! I can see how that can be a problem, and you have every reason to be protective and worry about him! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif Sounds like he's very determined to get some of that outdoor air. There's always the option of having an outdoor enclosure that he can go in for a few hours a day to satiate that craving for outdoors. We had a discussion on that topic just recently. Also, this might be a pain, but whevever someone comes to the door, see if your kitty is around and put him in the bathroom (or some other closed off room) before you open the door. That might become tedious though. That's a tough one! Let us know if you find a solution! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif Welcome to Pet Talk! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

------------------
"In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats." - English proverb

Ben E Gas
03-27-2001, 10:21 AM
I always think of them as cruel, but I really don't know the facts about them.

I did know a dog that just ran through the 'fenced area'. He was a big and powerful, chow/something else mix. He also crashes through wood fences when he finds weeknesses. He's a nice dog, but when he sees other 'furry' animals he goes beserk.