PDA

View Full Version : This story HAS a plot!

RICHARD
08-16-2004, 04:34 PM
Woman buries pets - and hubby - in garden

A Hampshire woman has turned her back garden into a cemetery for 22 dead pets - and her late husband.

Jean Pyke has made the ashes of husband Theo and a special plaque the centrepiece of those she's loved and lost.

It also includes inscribed Italian marble tombstones in memory of the cats, dogs and budgies, reports the Daily Mirror.

Mrs Pyke, 82, a former nurse of Hayling Island, has spent thousands of pounds on her memorial.

Each pet has been laid to rest in a specially-made casket with a satin lining, pillow and duvet.

She says: "I was not just going to put them in a plastic bag and send them off in a dustbin.

"They were my best friends and we have shared a lot of love. The caskets are beautiful and it's a shame they have to be buried."

When former company director Theo died in July 1992 at 75, he insisted his ashes were placed next to their pets. Jean makes a daily pilgrimage to the shrine, beneath tall trees at the end of her garden.

And when she dies her £400,000, four-bedroomed detached home will become a cat sanctuary - with all her savings going to 13 animal charities.

But one of her conditions is that she will eventually take her place in the unique garden cemetery. She says: "Then I will be next to all my loved ones for ever."
---------------------------------------------

Notice,

The pets got the coffins, the husband got 'burned' !!:eek: :confused: ;)

Karen
08-16-2004, 05:16 PM
He probably knew he couldn't egally be buried on his ow property unless he was cremated. No one cares where you bury pets, but they get particular about people!

dukedogsmom
08-16-2004, 05:22 PM
Thanks for sharing that. It was a great story and that's how I feel also! She must be loaded!

slick
08-16-2004, 06:06 PM
Bet you had to "dig deep" for the "dirt" on this one, Richard! :D :D

Seriously, I think this is a very touching story and if I were in her shoes I'd do the same thing.

Karen, around here it's illegal to bury your pet anywhere on your property although I know some people that do it anyway.

AmberLee
08-16-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by slick
... around here it's illegal to bury your pet anywhere on your property although I know some people that do it anyway.

:eek: :eek: :eek: How are you expected to handle the remains of a dead pet then? Professional Pet Cemetary???

slick
08-16-2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by AmberLee
:eek: :eek: :eek: How are you expected to handle the remains of a dead pet then? Professional Pet Cemetary???

1. You can take your deceased pet to the vet where he/she will dispose of the body.
2. You can have the vet give you back the ashes for you to keep.
3. You can use the services of a Pet Cemetary to either bury the body or the ashes.

Out in the boonies where the nearest neigbour is a couple miles away I'm sure it's common practice to bury your pet in the "back forty" but if you are caught near the city you're fined heavily; something to do with releasing chemicals into the ground, I think.:confused: