PDA

View Full Version : High school..

CamCamPup33
08-16-2004, 04:09 PM
I know before in the "Aren't we your friend's too" thread, alot of people didn't want to hear about school problem's and things like that.. But i hope this won't make anyone mad for me posting it..

I just started high school today.. It's so much different from middle school. 4 classes, 11 buildings, An hour and a half each class. I know *NO ONE* there. All of my friend's and everyone from my previous school went to a different school, and now im somewhere else. It's hard, not knowing anyone. I walked around all lunch hour to avoid sitting by myself. :o Other than that all of my classes were great, i have really cool teachers..

I just don't see myself meeting new people.

Anyway, after writing this out, it made me wonder what your high school experiences were like.. Share 'em! :p

slleipnir
08-16-2004, 04:17 PM
I liked High School so much better then Jr High. The people weren't 'as' imature and such

dukedogsmom
08-16-2004, 04:20 PM
I didn't care for high school too much. If you weren't pretty and popular, you were nothing. Maybe your experience will be different. We basically had two groups, the rednecks and the rich, popular ones. I was neither. So, we had a very small group of friends that stayed together.

CountryWolf07
08-16-2004, 04:30 PM
High School.. I had a good experience.. I live in a small city.. so I wasn't alone.. I saw my friends I had in elementary/middle school.. but once you enter High School, things definitely CHANGE big time!

There were groups.. cliques.. and I hated that.. There were the popular ones.. the jocks.. the geeks.. and I was classified as NOTHING. I just stayed away from them, and basically, hey, I made it out. :)

You'll be OK!

catnapper
08-16-2004, 04:46 PM
{{{{HUGS}}}} I know its scary! My daughter will also have her first day of highschool next week... funny thing is, our school is so small that everybody from 7th through 12th grade is all in one building, so she knows what to expect.

My transition from junior high to highschool wasn't so bad, we all just went from one building to another - all the same kids, plus those that came from the other junor highschool. But in the midle of my Sophomore year, my parents moved and we went to a school that was VERY different from what I was used to.... it was a wealthy district, so the kids acted differently. I was used to a school where everyone was a different religion, and my new school was baiscally made up of kids that were all the same denomination. The Catholic kids all went to Catholic school. The Jewish kids all went to a Jewish school. We couldn't affoird to send me to a Catholic school, so I went to this weird school that pretty much looked down on me since I was a Catholic that didn't go to the private Catholic school. ANYWAY, we moved December 17th. mom put me in school on the 21st - their last day before winter break. EVERYONE was running around hugging each other and wishing each other a Merry Christmas and I knew no-one and was totally ignored. Mom said she did it so that we "could meet someone and become friends with them before break." :rolleyes: Whatever mom, it was the single most painful day of my life.

By the end of January, I had made some really great friends... and that amazes me today because I was soooo shy in highschool. My brother, who was always outgoing, became Mr. Popularity by the end of the first week back from Christmas Break! :rolleyes:

carole
08-16-2004, 05:13 PM
I really understand how you must feel, even though it like a thousand years (just kiddin) since I went to High School, but I can still remember it, it was really hard , I was very shy, only knew one girl, and we were in the same class at least for two years, but even I survived it, and made new friends, as I am sure you will, you are a lovely young lady with a great personality, that indeed will shine through, as soon as you start to feel more comfortable in your new surroundings.

My daughter will be off to High School in another year, so will be facing the same things as you, middle school is different, they don't for one thing shift all around the school all day and have time-tables, I think they should make it more like High School, as to prepare you more.,well thats how it is here in NZ anyhow.

I am glad you posted, and was not put off by that other thread, because as you can see there are some of us here, who want to hear your worries and share our experiences with you.

Good luck with your new school, keep us posted how you are doing ok.

Karen
08-16-2004, 05:14 PM
I knew most everyone from Middle School, though there were a few new kids. High school in my town started in 8th grade. I never wanted to be part of any particular clique, had friends among all the different groups, and that was fine with me. Made some friends I still hold dear to this day.

My advice? Be yourself. Introduce yourself to people. Don't let anyone pressure you into doing something you're uncomfortable with, and you'll be fine.

I was (and still am) not shy. I got into "Senior Chorus" in 9th grade simply because they had scheduled a few of us into it without telling the director. There were three of us wondering what to do (Mary and Lisa were a grade ahead of me), so I dragged them with me, spoke to the director (by whom they were intimidated) and talked him into giving us auditions on the spot. We all got in, and that was it!

Look around, find someone with whom you might have something in common, and talk to them - you never know, you might end up with a friend!

Aspen and Misty
08-16-2004, 05:16 PM
I'm starting a new school to! LOL.

Luckily I have one friend there. I am making the transition from Private School to Public school. (I only went to Private for 2 years though, so I know what to expect)

GOOD LUCK!
Ash

primabella
08-16-2004, 05:29 PM
Aww good luck Amber. I know it might seem intimidating but just let people know about you. I was a nobody in high school so I plan to change that in college. I'm starting in a week (exactly) and I am sooo nervous. I'm going to be away from all of my close friends, taking classes that are two hours long and spending my breaks by myself. Hopefully I'll make some friends but it's hard to imagine. I tend to feel intimidated very easily.

Oops went off topic a bit. :o

Just be yourself and I'm sure you'll be fine. Nobody likes fakes or liars so just make sure you come across as an honest, decent person and I'm sure people will want to get to know you. :)

CamCamPup33
08-16-2004, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by primabella
I'm going to be away from all of my close friends, taking classes that are two hours long and spending my breaks by myself. Hopefully I'll make some friends but it's hard to imagine. I tend to feel intimidated very easily.

That's exactly the same with me, Liana. I just really dread going to lunch. lol. :p

BCBlondie
08-16-2004, 06:18 PM
I'm starting college this year.. School starts this Thursday for me and I'm kind of nervous. I feel like I won't make any friends either, but hopefully I'll make friends with at least one person by the end of the month lol.

Don't worry too much about high school. I had a good time in high school and made a lot of friends. We didn't have those different cliques like, the jocks, nerds, whatever else. Most of my class was friends. Of course we still hung out in our own little groups, but in class we still talked to the people we didn't eat lunch with and stuff. It was a great environment.

Like Karen said, just be yourself. Also, respect your peers. If they know that you respect them, you'll have an easier time making friends. Just be nice, smile, and keep your chin up. You'll have friends in no time. :D

*LabLoverKEB*
08-16-2004, 06:23 PM
I am starting my freshman year pretty soon, and I am very nervous. I suggest that you just walk up to someone that *looks* friendly, and introduce yourself, and see if there's anyone in your classes that you'd like to sit with at lunch. I know it sounds corny, but it might work! Good luck!:) ;)

micki76
08-16-2004, 06:28 PM
Freshman year was HELL for me. Gradually, it got better. I started high school with 4 other Jr highs and though there were people in a *couple* of my classes that I knew, they weren’t people that I had been close to or had anything in common with, in Jr high. I was miserable for quite a while. It seemed like in every class I was the only loner. Everyone else seemed to already know at least one other person (and was actually friends with that person) in all my classes. I felt very weird for a very long time. Hopefully you’ll adjust better than I did.:rolleyes:

Good luck, and I promise it will get better!:)

sammy101
08-16-2004, 06:32 PM
today was my first day of highschool too!! THere is a seperate compus for 9 graders(thats where i am going),because the main campus isnt big enough for 9-12 grade,1000 kids 9th grade,and over 3,000 in 10-12:eek: ,but my first day wanst bad.all my friends are going to the same school,and i seen most of them today,which was good. and my classes arent too bad.a few friends in each class.so i had a pretty good day,and there is 7 classes.starts are 7:20-2:30. and all my friends are in the same lunch as me which is good!!:D ,but too many people to choose to sit with,:( ,im not a popular person but i have lots of friends,soo ya!

*LabLoverKEB*
08-16-2004, 07:21 PM
My problem is I have a hard time making new friends. I was friends with this girl named Beth, in 6 & part of 7th grade, and then she just dumed me. What a bit** she was. Boy I did not like her at all. I always wanted to be with the popular group in middle school. But no, I'm just not pretty enough. *cries*, popular enough, or likeable. I wish I was though. Oh, well. :( :rolleyes:

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
08-16-2004, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by slleipnir
I liked High School so much better then Jr High. The people weren't 'as' imature and such

Lmao... they are more immature in highschool than in middle school... lol.

I was scared at first, but our HS is really easy to get around. You have to watch out for some people, they just like to piss you off or pick on you... the hallways get really crowded... and our lunchroom sucks. :p

Samantha Puppy
08-16-2004, 08:11 PM
I loved high school and did not want to graduate. It takes a little while to "find yourself" but once you do, and you establish your interests and make friends within those interests, you'll have a great time. :)

bluekat
08-16-2004, 08:59 PM
I start high school on September 7th:( I am SO nervous lol. Most of my friends are also going to the same high school but I know that I won't be in the same classes as them.
I hope I can make new friends easily, I really don't know if I can since I've been in the same group of friends all my life lol.

I think most people in my HS are very immature lol...thats why I hate going.

Oh well, I see how I like it soon:p

swimma253
08-16-2004, 09:07 PM
Well Im not in high school yet:rolleyes:...( Im going into 8th grade) but I didnt have any of my friends in any of my classes last year. :( I made friends.. but it wasnt the same.. .but my teachers were great!
I get my school lists tomorrow... so I will hopefully know some people this year!

Our Highschool doesnt start till 10th grade.

Good Luck GOing TO Highschool!
(Sorry for being so off topic!:p)

binka_nugget
08-16-2004, 09:12 PM
I love high school. I never went to middle school. We just go from Elementary school straight to HS. I knew a few people that were going to the same school but the people I hang out with now, weren't from my elementary school. The kids in our grade are great for the most part. Everyone talks to everyone and no one picks on each other. We still have cliques but it's not uncommon to find a person from one group hanging out with a person from another group.

Don't worry.. it gets easier. Just remember, everyone else is probably nervous and feeling shy. Things will start to feel more comfortable soon.

sammy101
08-16-2004, 09:17 PM
i didnt relize ther was so many people on here close to my age!:eek: ,im in grade 9 this year...

teenster3
08-16-2004, 11:52 PM
I don't mean to be such a negative person but honestly....I hated high school. I didn't like the kids, the teachers, classes, anything!!!! It was all about who had the money & background & who didn't.
I skipped most of my senior year (barely graduated), I think they just wanted to get rid of me. Don't get my wrong, I wasn't a bad a, I just hated school. I was so quiet & everyone used to pick on me for it. So much that other girls would "make up stories" & tell each other & come up to me & want to beat me up over petty things!......I absolutely am so happy & would never ever want to go back there!
I have actually thought about going to college though, I've heard it's very different than high school.....you don't have the cliques as much. Now that I've been out awhile, I think I could handle it! I'm a much different person now than I used to be!:)

As for you......I'm sure you'll make friends in a heartbeat! It just takes time.
Are you an outgoing person? Do you enjoy certain activities? It might help if you joined something!
Good luck to you!!!!
Tina

dappledoxie
08-17-2004, 01:29 PM
I miss High School... *wah!* Ok... well I do miss it, I wish I could go back. I never realized who much fun I had and how much I missed. My advice, don't let stupid guys waste your youth. I wasted alot of my time in high school b/c of a boyfriend who was a total jerk. Of course like others have said, you have your cliques and people who just want to cause trouble. I just talked to anyone and everyone, I had my little group of best friends and we were kinda like cosidered those girls who have know each other since they were 2 group! lol I don't like cliques or anything, that's just silly to me. lol Anywho, I too like Ashley went from Elementry to High School. I went with the same people I'd known my whole life. Anway, I enjoyed it for the most part, there's the bad times and the good times and honestly I miss them all and I've only been out since 2002. lol :) Good luck and best wishes!

My Peanuts
08-17-2004, 02:43 PM
I've been out of high school for over five years (OMG I just realized that) When I went in I had a completely different group of friends than when I left. There are so many more people and it's natural for some friends to grow apart. I remember freshman year being really hard social wise. It might be a blessing in disguise that your friends went to another school. It will force you to make new friends without the safety netting of an existing group.

Here is a little bit of wisdom I took with me though. I'm not bragging (I'm a little bit older now and social groups are way different) but I was part of the conventionally popular group. I wasn't at first. I spent most of my freshman and sophomore years with my boyfriend (yes the same one I have now :rolleyes: ) Then Junior and Senior year I became part of the social elite of high school life. At the time it was great and I remember one of the girls telling me, "Diana, people try years to be part of this group and you just walked in and everyone loves you." At the time I thought it was great, but now looking back that is really crappy. The truth is I never tried to be part of that group and still talked to everyone I was friends with despite social groups. I took from that memory pride. Just be yourself and you will make friends. And the ones that make comments like that ^, even though she was a really nice person to me, are not worth the time in the long run.

BTW, of all those "popular" people I knew in high school I only talk to the guys still. The girls ended up being to superficial and petty, but like I said weren’t bad people all in all. Out of junior high, high school, and college the best friends were the ones I made in high school. :)