PDA

View Full Version : Ack! Two of my fish died! :(

NoahsMommy
08-15-2004, 02:57 PM
I started with 4 African Cichlids. Now, we have 2. :(

There were 3 larger ones, 1 smaller one. I think the larger three killed the smaller one. :(

Then, as active little fishies, the kept knocking the intake thingy off the filter, so the tortie looking cichlid tried to pull a "Nemo" but got stuck. :( David found him the other day.

Poor fish! I'm off to the fish store to see how we can keep that thing on the filter.

chrissycat21
08-15-2004, 06:52 PM
I'm so sorry about your fishies! :(

-Chrissy

NoahsMommy
08-15-2004, 07:10 PM
Ummmm....in typical Kelly form, I came back with another fish. ;)

This one is larger than the remaining two. So it wont get stuck in the intake.

The fish store dude said there isn't anything we can do to keep the fish from pulling another "Nemo", but that they will get larger soon, so that'll help a bit.

We also learned what the icky black algea we were getting is from. Too much light!! hee hee, I um...think the tank is pretty so I always have it on. I guess in our climate, 8 hours a day is the max amount of time to have the light on.

Keep learning each day! ;)

We're naming the new fish Susie. :)

tatsxxx11
08-15-2004, 07:18 PM
:(:(:( How sad! I always cried so when my fishies passed on. Welcome home, Susie:D Live and learn Kelly. Hopefully they'll be no more sad "Nemo" scenarios!

lizzielou742
08-16-2004, 10:35 AM
When I was a kid, we had a huge fishtank with powder blue African cichlids and other kinds of fish. The bigger African cichlids wuold always kill the smaller ones. Then they started breeding. We ended up with a tankful of identical fish! It was fun to watch them grow from babies to adults, but eventually we had to get rid of the tank because it started leaking. I was about 12 at the time, and my dad never told me what happened to the fish... :( Guess the colony ended there.
Anyway random story!! They all looked like this:
http://www.picolio.com/Albums/album68/Nov1603a_PowderBlueMbuna.jpg

kingrattus
08-17-2004, 12:21 AM
Some Cichlids do not like too much light or light at all. Oscars hate light & act odd. My Oscar hates it. She'll lay on her side & swim around like that until I turn it off. My red devil attacks lights. thats why where the glass protecting the light bulbs ended up smashed & the light bulb.

Mind u my fish r HUGE. My fish hate the thingy at the ends of the intake. They will take them off & play with them & stick stuff up the intake, like rocks they don't want & poo & what ever else they don't want in the tank. Oscar is the one who does that the most. She'll kill a goldfish & bring its dead body to the outtake & try to stick it up there hehehe then it gets plugged like lastnight & the flow stops & the water gets stinky. stupid fishy (not really, she is too smart).

A month ago the heater broke & it was boiling the water. She was trying to pick up the heater & toss it out of her tank. I've seen her bite the heater before if it was to high so I would lower it for her (shes picky). But it was soo cool that she understands what heats her water.