PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Job Interview...

Desert Arabian
08-15-2004, 02:20 PM
I have to call tomorrow and set up a job interview appointment. I took this cool buisness class in school where we learned about the interviewing processes, what to do and what not to do, etc- the only problem is, is that I can't remember hardly 1/2 of what we learned 7 months ago. :o I remember some stuff...but I need all the help I can get.

So...for those people who have had many interviews....HELP! :p

Thanks!

catnapper
08-15-2004, 02:31 PM
From what I remember:
Dress appropriately, clean nails are important too
Eye contact is essential,
firm handshake... nobody wants a weak handshake
thank them for their time as you leave the interview
send a thank you note after the appointment,
brush up on the company before the interview so you know who they are, their clients, etc.

Karen
08-15-2004, 02:32 PM
Be neatly dressed, wear clean clothes, be well-groomed but not overly perfumed.

Smile, be friendly. Let your enthusiasm show. Ask questions, but in a positive way. Do some research online now to see what you can learn about the company - that will show you are interested and resourceful.

Be yourself. Be honest. Smile.

NoahsMommy
08-15-2004, 02:39 PM
Everything that was said here is good. I have a few to add:

Be confident, but not cocky

Present yourself with good bodily posture

At the end, they always ask you if you have any questions. You aren't allowed to say no, it shows you can't think on your own. Make up a bunch of questions about the position or the company to ask and ask one or two. Making sure it hasn't already been answered. If you applying for a job that you have some experience with, ask a question on something procedural.

When they ask you what your "worst attiributes" are. You need to answer with something positive. Like, "I care too much."

Good luck! What is the job you are interviewing for?

emily_the_spoiled
08-15-2004, 04:24 PM
One of the most important things is ... be early for the appointment. You never know what traffic is going to be like, so be prepared for it. If you are to early you can always go to StarBucks for a few minutes.

The advice everyone else gave is very good.

Good luck with the interview :)

Desert Arabian
08-15-2004, 04:40 PM
Thanks! The lady called a little while ago, the appt. is on Tuesday at 2:00.

Luckily my mom interviews people, so she also give me some good pointers and we did a mock interview just so I got a feeling for it.

I have to be interviewed by a man named Steve, which makes me even more nervous, I wanna be interviewed by a lady!! :o

Scared!!!

Sevens
08-15-2004, 06:38 PM
It's ok to be scared, just don't let it take you over.

Between everybody's advice here and your mom helping you get ready, I bet you will do great on the interview.

Also, to echo what catnapper said, a thank you note after the interview is a great idea. I did that for the last two jobs I've had (current one from 2002 to now and previous from 1998 to 2002) and in both instances, the bosses said that it was that well written thank you note that made me stand out from the other candidates. My guess is that many people just don't do the thank you notes nowadays.

Good Luck! All fingers and paws crossed for you here!

NoahsMommy
08-15-2004, 06:56 PM
Oh yea! I forgot about the thank you letter. Very good idea. :)

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Edwina's Secretary
08-15-2004, 07:47 PM
I have done many interviews. Here's a few tips to add to the great advise already given....those questions you prepare in advance (and it is perfectly acceptable to have them written down and take out the paper in the interview) "how much does the job pay?" "How much time off do I get?" or anything else related to what YOU get...DON'T ask those questions. Your questions should be about the company, the position, what will be expected of you, growth opportunities, etc.

IF you arrive more than 10 minutes early....sit in your car or as suggested...at Starbuck's. It is uncomfortable and inconvenient for the interviewer if you arrive too early.

No gum chewing....no jeans.

Do not give yes or no answers. Elaborate.

At the conclusion, offer your hand and say...."I would really like this job!" And...as so many have suggested....a thank you note makes a HUGE difference. (By the way....be sure and ask for business cards so you have the correct spelling of names and addresses!)

And it is very acceptable to have notes and refer to them so you don't forget anything!

Good Luck!

leslie
08-15-2004, 09:17 PM
when I first read your post, I had tons of things flooding back to me, but everyone here has covered it! MY mistake at my last interview (but I have been there 5 years so...) I bought a "power suit" at Sears for the interview. I forgot to see what would happen when I sat down. What happened was that my slip was too long for the dress! So I tried to roll the waist slip up around my waist but it was silky material and I panicked that it would slowly unroll. So I pullled it off in the car. But through the whole interview I was very self-conscious about how short the dress was when I sat! (I kept the suit jacket on to maintain some dignity and luckily- I never where "nude" colored stockings to something like an interview- had on black or something dark I'm sure!) Got the job and who knows what the too short dress did...
But DON'T YOU DO IT! I'TS AN ABSOLUTE NO-NO!! No showing extra skin! Definately wear a skirt or dress even if the job doesn't call for it- you'll stand out for the effort! but make sure it is no higher that a few inches over your knees!

Miss Meow
08-16-2004, 04:34 AM
Great advice so far :)

You can also pre-empt a lot of questions by looking at the job ad or description for clues, for instance, a customer service job will mean you'll be asked questions about customer service experience, dealing with difficult people, going beyond the call of duty, teamwork, flexibility of hours and so on.

When I've interviewed relatively inexperienced people in the past, I've also asked questions about what subjects they liked in school, what they didn't like, involvement in team sports, what their longer terms goals are, and what they like about my company/job to break the ice and get to know the candidate better.

Good luck!

neko1
08-16-2004, 06:28 AM
Also, if you are not sure of exactly where the place is, take a day before the interview and try to find the location. It was so annoying when I was looking for help to have these people come in 15 minutes late for the interview because they got lost, or better yet late and then calling me trying to get directions. Know where you are going!