PDA

View Full Version : The Blind Babies....

QueenScoopalot
08-15-2004, 11:33 AM
Are doing so wonderful! Out of the litter of five, the two blind kittens are the most adventurous. I named the boy Stevie Ray, but haven't come up with a suitable name for the little girl yet. Helen Keller...nahhh, doesn't fit her as she's most certainly not deaf or mute! She's the whiner of the pair!:rolleyes: :D Any suggestions? :confused:

jazzcat
08-15-2004, 11:41 AM
Glad to hear they are doing well.

RedHedd
08-15-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by QueenScoopalot
Helen Keller...nahhh, doesn't fit her as she's most certainly not deaf or mute! She's the whiner of the pair!:rolleyes: :D Any suggestions? :confused: Winny the Poo? Whoopi?

Craftlady
08-15-2004, 11:47 AM
I vote for Winny that's cute name.

Karen
08-15-2004, 11:53 AM
Frances "Fanny" Jane Crosby was a blind woman who wrote many, many beloved hymns - so was certainly vocal enough!

Fanny Jane, perhaps?

carla and mike
08-15-2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Karen
Frances "Fanny" Jane Crosby was a blind woman who wrote many, many beloved hymns - so was certainly vocal enough!

Fanny Jane, perhaps?

That one sounds good Jan.
I like Winnie too but since you had a double name for the boy then Fanny Jane may be best for her.;)

QueenScoopalot
08-15-2004, 11:57 AM
Fanny Jane is cute. I'll have to mull it over a bit! :p

rg_girlca
08-15-2004, 12:33 PM
I'm so glad Jan to hear how well these babies are doing.
Bless you for not giving up on them.:D

lizzielou742
08-15-2004, 06:27 PM
Good to hear they're doing well. :D Thanks for the update!

NoahsMommy
08-15-2004, 07:02 PM
My office manager has a cute Chihuahua named Ellie Mae and she's extreemly vocal. ;) Maybe that'll fit little girl?

I'm happy to hear they are doing so well. :D

catcrazylady
08-15-2004, 09:40 PM
I'm glad they are doing so well. If they are anything like Magoo they will be more adventuresome. I think it's because they can't see what's over there so they have to go over there to find what its all about.
I can't wait to hear about them as kittens. I bet we will all be so amazed.
Magoo sends them kisses and his famous nose rub!

sirrahved
08-16-2004, 01:22 AM
Okay, I know this is just way too corny, but everyone will have to put up with it. It's 1:20 and I'm not even close to sleep. I must have had 80 ounces of diet coke with dinner.

So.... my idea for the kitten name.... LOVE! (love is blind!) Everyone groan in unison now....

Barbara
08-16-2004, 04:15 AM
Oh that's so sweet that these babies are doing well. Cats are so much better in working with a handicap than humans are, so I am convinced that they will be happy and otherwise healthy kitties :)

jenluckenbach
08-16-2004, 05:20 AM
So.... my idea for the kitten name.... LOVE! (love is blind!) Everyone groan in unison now

LOL........cute :D

So Jan, where are the pictures????

catlover4ever
08-16-2004, 08:41 AM
Jan, thank you for the update. Do you think it possible for a couple of pictures of the pair.

P.S. I love the name Gracie for a girl.

catmandu
08-16-2004, 08:42 AM
I like Ellie Mae,as Donna Douglas,was on the Show,and in Real Life,a confirmed Animal Lover!And Bless You,for giving those Poor Babies,a Second Chance!

QueenScoopalot
08-16-2004, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by catlover4ever
Jan, thank you for the update. Do you think it possible for a couple of pictures of the pair.

P.S. I love the name Gracie for a girl.

Meg, I'll name her Gracie just for you! ;) That's a favorite name of mine for kitties. Last Gracie I rescued was an emaciated almost dead young female I found during the winter. It was two days before the temps dropped to 8 degrees below zero! After months of TLC Gracie was finally at a good weight, spayed and got a terrific home! So Meg....what do you want to name the boy? (wink, wink)?? Pictures coming soon..been straight out bottle feeding nine babies as their mom is having a tough time of it. She has five she gave birth to, and four more came down the pike soooo...:rolleyes: I'm getting in a new Dairy Queen later today from that lovely flea infested house near me. So hopefully this mom who has only two will accept a few extras! :) And hopefully she's not flea infested!:eek:

catlover4ever
08-16-2004, 11:54 AM
I told hubby again today that I want these babies and he said "yeah right...go move across the street". I have a new next door neighbor who adores animals.

I think my husband doubts that I could take on 2 special needs kitties...but I am really hoping to prove him wrong. Even my mom said something to him about how it would be good for the house to have some special needs kitties around. ;) ;) ;) I always have mom on my side. :p

Thank you for naming her Gracie. I just figure that by the grace of God you found these kitties..so Gracie is where I came up with that name.

As for a boy I was thinking of Julian. Julian and Gracie....now I need lots of PT prayers to help me convince my hubby that I can do it.

Keep up the good work...I still don't know how y ou do it.

catcrazylady
08-16-2004, 12:29 PM
Meg, maybe I'm confused but what does your hubby think you have to do that is so different for blind kitties?
I do nothing special for Magoo now. I try to keep the floor space normal so he doesn't find any surprises but I can assure you that hubby blows that out of the water daily! Shoes, towels, clothes, any old thing he happens to be working on is left where ever until he is done. Magoo doesn't care and just goes around it! I'm thinking that your hubby is thinking they are going to need so much extra care but they don't require anymore than any other cat.
If I can be of any help just let me know because I now consider myself almost a pro!! http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

catlover4ever
08-16-2004, 12:47 PM
Lisa, Mark just simply does not want anymore cats. Tigger and her brother Tony (RB) did some damage to our woodwork in the house. We actually need a new sliding glass door and trim throughout the downstairs. So since Smokey he has constantly said "NO More CATS"!!! But I usually get my way.

He is also afraid that I will not have the time to devote to the 2. He thinks that the odds are against them, that they will never be able to overcome their "disability". I told him that being born this way is not a disability for them...they don't know anything but being blind. I told him that yes it willl be an adjustment for everyone...the kittens, myself, the other cats....but they will do just fine.

I have laid out my plans for the kittens and I know it would work....just I have to get over the husband hump. I have shown him threads with Magoo....he is simply amazed...he just does not beleive that what has happened with Magoo could happen in his own house. I keep explaining to him that it would not be until the beginning of November before I could take care of them. We have 2 family vacations to take together and I have a 2 week vacation with my mom to Disney in October.

Please send some prayers my way...I need all the devine intervention I can get on this one. Meg

catcrazylady
08-16-2004, 01:14 PM
Prayers are on the way Meg! If it is meant to be then it will be. Hubby's can be such hard cases sometimes but generally they have the softest of hearts. It's just catching them in the soft moment!!http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/wink.gif :D :D http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

QueenScoopalot
08-16-2004, 01:31 PM
Meg, As Lisa said, kittens that have never known sight (unlike Magoo) acclimate very well. This pair are much more adventurous than the three sighted littermates, which is a good sign IMO. I have to keep them caged until they have their first shot anyway, but I let them out in the kitchen from time to time, and the dogs check them out and wash them. The mama took a stroll through the first floor this morning, but I didn't want her roaming too much. Though she's a sweet cat and hasn't spit once, she didn't like being picked up and put back in jail! :eek: I'd love to see them go together to a good home. And geesh...my house is predominantly special needs cats, and there's no problems! The 'normal' cats already seem to sense something is special about Gracie and her brother, and do the deep fur sniff! I'm not allowing any butt sniffing, or bathing until the kittens are combo tested though. I'll try to get some pics in a day or so! ;)

catlover4ever
08-16-2004, 01:49 PM
Jan, I know, I already have a plan for the babies. I know exactly what needs to be done for these little ones and what also needs to be done for my 5 so that they don't feel neglected....maybe hubby thinks he will be neglected...yeah right!!!!

I have to pick Mark up tonight after work and bring him home...he will have no escape from me as he will be walking in the rain if he does not want to hear it.

QueenScoopalot
08-16-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by catlover4ever
Jan, I know, I already have a plan for the babies. I know exactly what needs to be done for these little ones and what also needs to be done for my 5 so that they don't feel neglected....maybe hubby thinks he will be neglected...yeah right!!!!

I have to pick Mark up tonight after work and bring him home...he will have no escape from me as he will be walking in the rain if he does not want to hear it.

Women can be so smart when it comes to manipulating! :D You both have a few months to mull it over anyway! It will be tough at best to place this pair, when there's bazzillions of healthy sighted ones out there for adoption. I'm usually such a sucker for special needs ones, but don't want anymore except fosters at this point. Hope you and hubby can work things out! ;)

jazzcat
08-16-2004, 02:37 PM
Good luck Meg, I'll says some prayers that you can work this out.

I know what you mean about the no more pets hurdle. I am fighting this as we speak. Richard knows I'm in love with Aly's Chance and Lucky and would love to have them but he says I'm being ridiculous because they are in TX and I'm in TN. I know where there is a will there is a way but he refuses to entertain my ideas.

Now Kim has kittens and the location is close enough to be reasonable but he still says four pets is our limit. :(

leslie
08-16-2004, 07:51 PM
None of my buisness but if he did rescue work- 4 is a drop in the bucket!
Tell him your goal is 40, that way 2 more is no big deal!! (is that manipulative- no, just the facts!) Anyone that has less than me, needs more! (poor me and litter in the bed and cat hair on my clothes etc)...Misery loves company! And what's litter, cat hair (oh and that poop odor pretty much all the time) compared to being homeless, jobless, lonely, dispaired and depressed? I figure we all go through some pretty bad times and the more kitties- the better the outcome- motivates me to keep on keeping on many times over the last 20+ years!

sirrahbed
08-17-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by leslie

Tell him your goal is 40, that way 2 more is no big deal!!
This was essentially my tactic too only I started with a dozen. I finally backed down to "only" ten for quite a few months. So, getting the new "kitten" from Kim was no problem - adding one more "for someone to play with the same age" slid right by him:) So, now we are up to five. I realize there will be no more kittens, but we still have room to grow;) There will never be an end to the cat hair, scooping, etc anyway. I don't think it is manipulation - it is just...I don't know what to call it...paving the way or something?? He also knows I still want a special needs cat, someone who really needs me. The skinkids are all gone - I am not working any longer - we have room and I have always, always wanted a houseful of cats!!

catcrazylady
08-17-2004, 07:35 PM
Debbie, hmmm, special needs you say? There is a blind calico kitty at the shelter. Jsut thought I would let you know that although I do believe you are going to have your hands FULL with two babies! This is going to be so much fun!!! I can't wait for the stories your gonna have!!:D :D http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

leslie
08-17-2004, 07:40 PM
yes and had I known, I would have pushed blind Cora on you too!! (i don't know if that NC home has worked out at all- Cora was to take 3 different plane flights- egads!)