PDA

View Full Version : My bright idea...

catnapper
08-15-2004, 11:15 AM
Some things are just meant to be purchased... there's a reason they are so expensive!

Hubby's a teacher, and tomorrow we plan on decorating his classroom for the school year. We had this idea to tape vocabulary words to the windows and walls, so we went to the teacher store to buy posters and precut-out alhabets. Well, the posters were plenty cheap enough ($2 each) but the precut letters were VERY expensive.

Me being the cheapo smarty pants that I am, I told hubby that we'd just go into the computer and print out all the letters we'd need and I'll cut them out with my Xacto knife. No big deal, right? After 12 words, and still 12 more to go, my wrist is cramped and aching, I've got a yucky blister on my index finger and I am tired of cuttng out letters! WAAAAAAAHHHHH.

Anybody care to come over for a little letter-cutting-out party?

CamCamPup33
08-15-2004, 11:39 AM
It's sounds like you had the right idea, until you realized it hurt so much. :p OUCH! Sound's painful.. :p

I'll join in and help, 2 letter's please. ;) :p

Freckles
08-15-2004, 11:46 AM
Can't help much on the curvy letters, but...

This is from my old days as a printer, when I needed to cut masking papers and negatives...

Are you able to cut on a glass layout table? Something hard like that? Then with a metal ruler or straight edge, line up the ruler with the letter edge, and cut several light strokes with the exacto knife, rather than one heavy stroke.

Hope this helps!
:)

catnapper
08-15-2004, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the idea Freckles... I 've been cutting on one of those green mats made for cutting. I'm using card stockpaper, so not as thin as regualr paper, not as killer as matboard. I The letters are not all straight and even. Of course that would hvae been smart to use a staight font like arial or futura. Nooo.... I had to use Stylus because I thought it looked fun and funky. :rolleyes:

Sigh. Almost there. Why couldn't I have used small words like Egypt? Nooo.. I decided on Mesopotamia.

I'll have to take lots of pictures of his classroom when we're done. his room is GORGEOUS- real slate boards, wood floors, brights sun-filled room. :)

slleipnir
08-15-2004, 12:39 PM
If you want deformed letters, then sure I can help :rolleyes: Are you still thinking the precut ones are really expensive? :p hehe jk XD

NoahsMommy
08-15-2004, 02:46 PM
While it sounds like a lot of work, I bet its looking good. :) I can't wait to see pictures.

What grade does he teach again?