PDA

View Full Version : Lost/stolen cell phone

PJ's Mom
08-15-2004, 01:40 AM
We went to a Boston concert tonight, and I seem to have either lost, or had my cell phone stolen. It's a $300 camera phone and it was a gift. :(

Any *unique* ideas on how to get it back? I've done the texting, and calling, to no avail. (I even offered a reward) :(

Hubby offered to buy me a new one, but I'd rather have the old one.

Ally Cat's Mommy
08-15-2004, 04:00 AM
Is the phone still ringing or has it been switched off? If you have a contract (and not a prepaid account), you might be "lucky"and the theif may have stupidly made calls on your account, in which case you may be able to get him caught. Check with your service provider if the ohone is still being used.

In South Africa our networks are set up to recognise the unique number (IEMI) of each phone. When a phone is stolen it can be blocked and is then useless anywhere in South Africa (Doesn't help get the phone back, but is discourages theft as a stolen phone cannot be sold as it doesn't work!

catnapper
08-15-2004, 09:20 AM
Depending on youtr carrier, you can call them and have the phone "tirned off" - I had to do this when my son was using about 200 minutes a day when he was on vacation (the phone was supposed to be for emergency purposes only :rolleyes: ) At least then they won't kill your monthly bill.

I would say that if someone disreputable picked it up that you'll never see the phone again. Have you tried calling the venue's lost and found?

Tonya
08-15-2004, 09:53 AM
Don't lose hope yet. I've lost my phone a few times and wound up getting it returned. Do let your carrier know though so that you don't get a huge bill.

PJ's Mom
08-17-2004, 06:22 PM
After being as nice as I could be, the person who took my phone started using it to make calls. Luckily, my plan has a wide enough coverage area to where it didn't affect my bill.

We sent repeated messages (both voice and text) saying that all we wanted was the phone back, and that a reward was being offered for its return. All the person did was make calls. :(

What happened to the days where people would find something and turn it in? :(

Oh well, thanks for the advice, everyone. I spent $350 on another phone today. It was my birthday present.

Tonya
08-17-2004, 06:36 PM
You really need to cancel your phone!!! I was a service rep for the phone company before I started this job. I know it seems unimaginable, but there is a such thing as $20,000 phone bills. Although you may have a good plan, there are still plenty of crazy phone numbers they can call to rack your bill up.