PDA

View Full Version : I am kind of embarrassed, but touched too...

K9soul
08-13-2004, 09:43 PM
I had been sitting here thinking about my dogs' ages due to a thread in Dog General asking their ages. Just musing, and for no real particular reason, I typed in a search for Tasha's birthday thread that I posted in January. Much to my shock, the search brought up my own birthday thread started by Sandra last year in December. (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39209&highlight=birthday+tasha)

At the time I had only been on Pet talk for a month or so and hadn't really "discovered" the General forum, so I never knew about the thread, never saw it, until tonight! I'm kind of embarrassed because there were so many warm wishes there and I never responded :o. It was because I never saw the thread until tonight! I just wanted to give belated thanks to Sandra and the other well wishers, even if it is 7 months or so too late :D. I didn't want to bump the actual thread and have people thinking it was a recent thread, I know I forget to look at post dates if they are bumped up sometimes.

Also ironically, today is my husband's birthday. Isn't it odd how a few stray thoughts can all come together suddenly like that?

catnapper
08-13-2004, 09:58 PM
Awww.... life has a way of coming round and touching you at unexpected moments, doesn't it?

Lillycat
08-14-2004, 05:06 AM
funny thing that......early on in my pt life, i had accumulated several.....actually more than several pm's.....but i didnt know about them......when i finally found out about them a year or so later i really felt bad.....they never were answered.....i guess things like that happen......i am very sorry about that!

Pam
08-14-2004, 06:50 AM
Jessica I am sorry, but it seems I missed that thread as well. A belated Happy Birthday to you and a very present REAL DAY Happy Birthday to your hubby! Sandra is a jewel isn't she? She never forgets an important date or event and is always checking in on the sick critters and their humans at PT. How is hubby doing with the job situation? You have both been on my mind and I keep forgetting to ask.

chocolatepuppy
08-14-2004, 07:04 AM
K9soul Same here, I've only been here 4 months and last month Kay started a birthday thread for me in general. If she hadn't pm'd me I never would have seen it! I really don't get all around the board but now I do go to general!

K9soul
08-14-2004, 09:37 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one guilty of missing things like that. I'm also so glad though that I did end up seeing it! It is such a heart warming feeling when one finds out people have been thinking of you even when you don't realize it.

Pam, thanks for asking about David. He has been having a difficult time with finding anything so far, but he's really trying. He has put over 50 resumes/applications out there and recently bought a book one of his former co-workers recommended on finding jobs/careers that is supposed to be very helpful. One thing that has really become evident to me is how loved he was at his last job. He has former co-workers calling him 3 or 4 times a week, asking him how he's doing, or inviting him out to lunch and so on. Even his boss (not the one who laid him off, it was someone even higher than his boss who made that decision) from their corporate headquarters in Minneapolis called him to see how he's doing last week. They threw a little birthday lunch/party for him on Thursday. Some of them are even trying to help him look around for any job leads and letting him know anything they think he might want to look into.

We had a wonderful day for his birthday yesterday. I didn't really get any expensive gift due to us keeping a tight rein on our finances, and rather than get some cheap useless gift, I tried to give him a wonderful memorable day instead. The night before while he was sleeping, I set up the table with a vase of roses, a card, a bottle of champaign, and two champaign glasses. He rises very early, always before I do. After he had been up a bit, I got up and showed him the real treat, a cheesecake with fudge swirled in it :D. I took him to a movie he really wanted to see, one I normally might not have gone to :p (Alien Vs Predator), he really enjoyed that. Then we spent a big chunk of the afternoon sitting out in the back yard in lawn chairs with the dogs and talking about the yard and ideas and plans we might want to do with it. Then we came in and I ordered pizza and we had pizza and settled in the den downstairs to watch some TV. Afterward we had the yummy cheesecake of course. It was a very peaceful and pleasurable day.

Tonight his family is throwing their party with a dinner at his Mom's and I think then his brothers are taking him out to bar-hop or something but I will probably bow out of that since I'm not a big bar fan. They are often too loud and crowded for my taste and I usually am ready to come home much sooner than everyone else. But I think he will enjoy it.

Were you expecting a large essay as an answer Pam? LOL :D. Isn't it odd that although this year things are more insecure than they have been in many years, it seems like he is having his happiest birthday in a long time? I'm so glad. It makes me feel like God is definitely watching over us, and that everything is going to be just fine.

Pam
08-14-2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by K9soul
Were you expecting a large essay as an answer Pam? LOL :D. Isn't it odd that although this year things are more insecure than they have been in many years, it seems like he is having his happiest birthday in a long time? I'm so glad. It makes me feel like God is definitely watching over us, and that everything is going to be just fine.

I appreciated your novel Jessica! :) Thanks for taking the time to fill us all in. Your hubby's birthday sounds very special indeed. Birthdays don't need to be ushered in with lots of hoopla (believe me, the older I get the less hoopla I want! LOL!) In fact, I think when you two look back on this past birthday I believe it is one that will stand out years from now because of the stressful circumstances surrounding it. It sounds like your hubby is doing well emotionally and that is a big plus. When my hubby was laid off many years ago he was so depressed. Nothing anyone did could pull him out of it. I remember it well because he lost his job on Halloween and didn't start his new job until right before Christmas. We were prepared to totally let Christmas pass us by, then about a week before Christmas he was hired and I rushed out to the store to pick up a few things for the kids. It's amazing how unimportant "things" become when you are in that situation. I will keep you both in my prayers that he doesn't have to wait much longer before the perfect job that God has planned for him comes along. (((hugs)))

K9soul
08-14-2004, 08:46 PM
Thank you Pam :) I think you are right too, about his birthday being a particularly memorable one. As I've gotten older, I've become better able to recognize some moments that will become treasured memories as they are happening, and it is a wonderful feeling because in recognizing how special it is, I can really immerse myself in the happiness of it even more. I used to be dismayed how I often wouldn't realize just how special a moment was until after it was past, but maybe that is something one learns to recognize more after going through more of life's ups and downs.

Anyway, as far as birthdays go, I don't look at it as a celebration of a person being a year older, I look at it as a celebration of a person's life and existance. :) I think if you look at it that way, it takes on a less depressing light as you get older.

dukedogsmom
08-14-2004, 09:13 PM
Don't feel bad. I don't see my notes there either! Well, I guess she should get lots of birthday attention now :)