PDA

View Full Version : Can cats be prejudice???

catcrazylady
08-13-2004, 08:30 PM
I know this sounds like a stupid question but hubby and I have noticed that Stubby just may be! She will love all over the lighter cats in the house but will smack the tar out of all the dark ones that come within reach of her. Now don't misunderstand because she will smack anybody if they make her mad but not the light colored kitties until they do something to anger her.
She adores the ground Leroy walks on (orange and white) she will rub and headbutt Sammy (buff) she will snuggle with her brother Peanut Butter (orange) and she will play nicely with Pete (cream).
She hates Maggie Sue but I wrote this off as a girl thing. She will go out of her way to swat Lucky (gray/black) Pervy always gives her lots of clearance! Pepper Jack (gray) will get busted if he even gets near her and Magoo (dark brown/black) is a prime target!
Am I crazy or do you all see the possibility?

sirrahbed
08-13-2004, 08:36 PM
Sounds reasonable to me. A darker colored cat has made her leery perhaps - just like some animals don't like men or women if they have been mistreated by one, or a type of animal - why not a certain color? Makes sense to me. If she were around dogs - it would probably be the same thing.
What do the rest of you think?

catnapper
08-13-2004, 08:41 PM
Hee heee... why not? Perhas you can borrow some other light haired kitties and see how she responds?

catcrazylady
08-13-2004, 08:42 PM
Good point Debbie. I had never thought about a dark color cat offending her so mcuh that she doesn't like any of them. I really thought this was too stupid to post but that is the great thing about PT . With cats you can ask just about anything because most anything is possible with them!

Don Juan's mom
08-13-2004, 08:46 PM
Maybe I could bring Don Juan over and see if Stubby has a PROBLEM with him...

Liz

slick
08-13-2004, 09:45 PM
:D :D I'm so sorry for laughing but here's the scoop in my household.

You know that furry mice you can buy? Now they come in all colours, but NO, Speckles will only play with the white ones. I've tried and tried she she has no interest in the dark coloured ones. It's so sad because that's not what I tried to teach her.:rolleyes:

catcrazylady
08-13-2004, 09:49 PM
Slick that is so weird! A lot of "scientists" try to say that animals don't see color but I think they are wrong!

It is funny but it has become so obvious around here! I'm glad to know there is another one that seems to prefer one color over another! GEESH! I never taught my furkids such things either!!!http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/eek.gif :D :D http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

catcrazylady
08-13-2004, 09:52 PM
See! There's another one! I wonder what they do see?

catnapper
08-13-2004, 10:09 PM
Had to say something else... hee hee, even though Nicki's a dog, its relevant (somehow) She LOVES black people. The only black person she personally knows is our next door neighbor, but everytime one walks by our house and she's home, she wants to greet them (and happy, tail wagging wildly greeting) and she goes nuts if she's inside while one walks past. Any other skin color could walk by and she won't react... but a black person - male espceially - and she wants to be the neighborhood welcome wagon! I never taught her one way or the other about skin colors and she most certainly hasn't had any extended experiences with a black male. I'm just glad she loves them rather than act aggressively! :D I don't want anyone thinking I've taught my dog to be racist! :D :D

Randy_K
08-13-2004, 11:27 PM
I'll go with the bad experience theory. My mom and I catnapped a neighbor's young cat years ago because he was a sweet and gentle cat who was being terrorized by the neighbor "man of the house" (to use the term very loosely). The guy always wore a baseball cap. Here we are ten years later and "Sammy" is still frightened by anyone wearing a cap. It was a terrible experience for him.

We found a good home for him. He used to come when I called him and loved to be carried around snuggled in my arms. One evening a friend of my sister came over with a cat carrier and I called him... the rest is history. Since then he has lead the kind of life he deserved, being well cared for and well loved.

catmandu
08-14-2004, 08:34 AM
I always thought,that Cats go more,by scent,yet the Simese,are far more partial,to each other,than they are,to the Other found Cats!

Ally Cat's Mommy
08-14-2004, 09:16 AM
I have to agree that maybe she had a negative experience in the past with a dark-coloured cat. Connor was abused before we adopted him, and whenever an arab male comes to the house in his traditional dress, Connor gets into a total panic!

kuhio98
08-14-2004, 10:39 AM
Hmmm, maybe Stubby only like kitties that look like her (light colored). :confused:

jazzcat
08-14-2004, 11:48 AM
That is interesting. I'm sure there is something too it.

I would say Scout doesn't like dark colored cats because she seems to hate Ripley and she's always chasing him away from what she considers hers or just smacking him for no reason but she isn't that way with Jazz who is solid black so who knows. Maybe with Scout it is a male cat thing. Whatever it is she certainly doesn't let his huge size intimidate her.