PDA

View Full Version : Hubby's work van got smashed up last night......

carole
08-13-2004, 07:32 PM
NO-ONE is hurt, first off, we were all sitting watching average Joe, when we hear this almight bang, we look out the window, and the van has gone, it was parked on the roadside outside our house, hubby brings it in before he goes to bed usually.

Anyway to cut a long story short, this young guy had come around the corner, ploughed right into it, kept driving and then ploughed into our neighbours two doors down letterbox, ruining it , the fence and power and phone lines.

You guessed it this young man had been drinking, he said only a couple of beers, yeah right, police were called, but they took a while, hubby told him you are not driving that car, luckily he co-operated and locked his car up and began walking.

We have all his details, and he is a builder in the sub-division nearby, he fell asleep at the wheel , because he was tired and had too much to drink.

The Van went right across the middle of the road, took out a sign post, this was extremely lucky there were no on-coming cars.

The van will probably be written off by the insurance company, which will actually work out better for the company, but still it just makes you think of what could have happened.

We had the police van with the two dogs, who were going to track him, then another cop car turn up later, our big excitement for the evening on Friday the 13th.

I hope this young man has learned his lesson from this, but somehow I doubt it, he was not insured either, but said don't worry I earn good money, we shall see won't we, its like the saying the cheques in the mail., should be ok though as the van has full insurance.

As nothing terribly eventful ever happens in my life , thought I would share this with you all lol.:)

slleipnir
08-13-2004, 07:53 PM
Wow, I'm glad no one got hurt!

DJFyrewolf36
08-13-2004, 07:54 PM
Happy friday 13th :rolleyes:

Im glad no one was hurt! It could have been much worse!

buckner
08-13-2004, 08:48 PM
Wow, I'm glad no one got hurt. That's the number one priority, really. There's time to get mad at the stupidity of this man, and for the insurance to do what they need to do, but making sure everyone is okay is first.

Drunk drivers, agh. Makes me really think back to that MADD Poem (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/MissRatini33/Misc/MADDpoem.jpg). So sad, for everyone involved.

AbbyMom
08-13-2004, 08:56 PM
Really glad no one was hurt! I hope he learns his lesson as next time he (or some innocent bystander) might not be so lucky!

AmberLee
08-13-2004, 11:07 PM
As everyone else has said, thank the Lord that no one was hurt. And I'm glad the young man wasn't belligerent or whatever. Do hope that he's more responsible financially than he is behind the wheel, though.

Oh, odd. I witnessed a fender bender on my way home from work tonight. I don't believe in 'the curse of Friday the 13th', but it is an unpleasant coincidence.

davidpizzica
08-14-2004, 12:44 AM
Carole, I'm happy that you and your husband are safe. Vans can be replaced(I'm starting to hate that word) but your lives cannot be. That young man was also lucky to be alive. There is NO excuse for driving drunk. That's one thing about me I never drink alcohol, not even beer!

Miss Meow
08-14-2004, 01:45 AM
Oh my god! That could have been so much worse. I'm glad everyone is OK.

Ally Cat's Mommy
08-14-2004, 04:02 AM
Whew - thank goodness everyone is OK! (And that your van is insured - who knows if the driver will make good on his promises???)

I remember something similar happening to our ONLY car when I was around 6 years old - it was parked in the street whilst we were visiting my granny, and a drunk woman ploughed into it with her car, then damaged several other cars trying to flee the scene.:eek:

carole
08-14-2004, 05:02 PM
Well the young man turned up on our doorstep last night, to apologise for what he had done, the police caught up with him and breathalised him and he was fine, he apparently had a black -out, and is going to a Doctor today, I am giving him the benefit of the doubt, here, hope he does not prove me wrong, He was a very nice young man, who genuinely seemed concerned about what he had done.

He had only had two beers after work, so he say's, so we shall see if he comes good with coughing up the money, its going to be at least a thousand dollars.

The van is a work vehicle, belonging to the company, so hopefully everything will work out fine.

He does not even remember hitting the van or driving further on, so maybe he did indeed have a turn of some kind, I mean these things can happen sometimes.

I remember a worse incident, when I walked my daughter to school , I left her to continue on with a group of children, this car ploughed right across the road in to a house fence, and just missed my daughter and the other kids ,it was a close shave, the guy had a black-out and had three of his own children in the car, no-one was hurt, but I later met him in the supermarket and he admitted he has epilipsy(sp) and was not taking his medication, that angered me, he could have killed all those children including my girl and hit an oncoming car as well, that is irresponsible.

KYS
08-14-2004, 06:48 PM
Drinking and driving is one of my pet peeves. :(
Thankgoodness nobody got hurt.