PDA

View Full Version : I did a bad thing today . . .

christa
08-13-2004, 06:12 PM
I went to PetSmart.

They had cages and more cages FULL of kittens around the age that I've been wanting. TONS! And of course they were all looking so cute and innocent. Except for this one little guy, he was so tiny (looked sickly) . . . he squalled at me, but then he tried to bite my finger off. It was cute, but I've already got one obsessive biter at home!

Anyway, you all know how I've been thinking about another cat, a playmate for Josie . . . my trip to PetSmart turned me even softer!

I probably would have come home with one if their adoption fees weren't so darn high!!!

catnapper
08-13-2004, 06:19 PM
Isn't there a local rescue who's fees are a bit easier to handle? I hope you find the purrfect companion kitty for your obsessive biter!

christa
08-13-2004, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
Isn't there a local rescue who's fees are a bit easier to handle?

OH YES YES! Another reason why I left empty handed. They're just so easy to go and see when I'm around that area . . . There's a shelter somewhere around here. We're actually new to the area, so I need to figure out where it is!

leslie
08-13-2004, 06:48 PM
What makes no sense, is that the cats and kittens at petsmart have probably come from a shelter that's full, right? that's the case here. That's how jan get's her's adopted, the shelter is full so they bring them to the store. Are they charging for vaccines etc that they shouldn't be? I'm curious to know because pet store are notorius for double dipping!

catcrazylady
08-13-2004, 06:57 PM
Christa I have the three on my porch that you could pick from and I will even get them fixed!http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/wink.gif I'm just teasing. I'm sure that you will eventually find just the right one and bring it home.
It is expensive to adopt from a shelter. Our shelter charges $65 for an adoption but it does prevent people from coming in thinking they want a cat and then dumping it. People do think when they have to pay for it. Of course they come spayed/nuetered, FeLV and FIV tested, and all their vaccines so I guess it's cheaper than getting all that done at the vets office.
You really are wanting another kitten aren't you?

Craftlady
08-13-2004, 07:25 PM
Actually the animals at our PetSmart you have to go through the county shelter (fill paper work out, pay at shelter) to adopt. We got Eleanor for $40 and Thumper was about same price. Sometimes the county shelter charges a little more if they've had to spay/neuter and give shots etc. I've seen some kitties priced at $60-$65. The records show they got surgery/shots etc.

christa
08-13-2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by catcrazylady
It is expensive to adopt from a shelter. Our shelter charges $65 for an adoption but it does prevent people from coming in thinking they want a cat and then dumping it. People do think when they have to pay for it. Of course they come spayed/nuetered, FeLV and FIV tested, and all their vaccines so I guess it's cheaper than getting all that done at the vets office.

I think that the shelter that's close to me is $50 adoption fee, with everything included. Actually, they have reduced some of the fees on their cats/kittens this summer. I've been keeping my eyes open . . .

You really are wanting another kitten aren't you?

YES!!! Is it that obvious? :) I'd probably come get one of yours if I was closer!

christa
08-13-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Craftlady
Actually the animals at our PetSmart you have to go through the county shelter (fill paper work out, pay at shelter) to adopt. We got Eleanor for $40 and Thumper was about same price. Sometimes the county shelter charges a little more if they've had to spay/neuter and give shots etc. I've seen some kitties priced at $60-$65. The records show they got surgery/shots etc.

Most of the kittens/cats at PetSmart today were . . . $100 . . . isn't that outrageous???

There were some there from local shelters . . . they were all $50, but there weren't many of them. I think the 100 buck adoptions were all coming from the Lexington Humane Society.

leslie
08-13-2004, 07:34 PM
Any price under $100.00 with everything done is cheap! It would cost 2 or 3 times that at your vets office. Make sure you get paperwork for your vets file though. Don't quibble over anything less than a hundred- a spay alone with discount rate under rescue here is up to $55.00. Not to mention all the other. The fiv and felv tests are the most expensive. I'd like to find out why and expose them for exploitation if possible (it's like $30.00 for a silly test- all they do is draw blood and put it on a blotter) One would think vets would not want these highly contagious diseases in urban areas and might charge less. NOPE. So no one gets tested.

christa
08-13-2004, 07:39 PM
I understand that it's great compared to what you would have to pay out of pocket . . . it's just wierd how different places are so drastically different.

We adopted Josie, it was $40, which included everything.

catlady1945
08-13-2004, 10:06 PM
At our Humane Society, kittens are $145 and cats are $125. They have shots, microchips, and are spayed or neutered. So you are actually getting a deal. If you had to pay for all of that, it would cost a lot more.

christa
08-13-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by catlady1945
At our Humane Society, kittens are $145 and cats are $125.

That's crazy! But doesn't the exchange rate make up for the difference?

catmandu
08-14-2004, 08:43 AM
One Good source,is to check the ads,at your local Pet Food Store,as there are usually Mature Cats,already fixed,that are lookoing for Good Homes. I know many people,who have Fine Cats,as Companions,that way!

christa
08-14-2004, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by catmandu
One Good source,is to check the ads,at your local Pet Food Store,as there are usually Mature Cats,already fixed,that are lookoing for Good Homes. I know many people,who have Fine Cats,as Companions,that way!

Thanks for the suggestion, catmandu! Those ads are at a lot of vets also.

The problem is, we're wanting a kitten that is younger than Josie so it won't be such a battle. She's 10 months. Most of the cats/kittens on the BB's are either older than that or really young, which would mean that I would have to pay for the shots/surgery/etc.

I'm just waiting for the perfect cat at the perfect time . . . and hope that I realize that he/she is the one! Is that silly of me?

catlady1945
08-14-2004, 02:29 PM
$145 in Canadian dollars = about $109 U.S., so it seems not that unreasonable with everything done on the cat.

sirrahbed
08-14-2004, 03:14 PM
A new kitten without anything already done is an expense. It will need a vet checkup, bloodwork, worming, series of shot initially. Then later comes the neuter or spay. All of this is usually provided when you adopt from a shelter - I just don't see any problem with paying the $100 or whatever. We are about to get kittens from Kim - who were born at home to a stray and I am sure each baby will cost much more than that for their initial care. Kitten care is expensive - and that is if everything goes well.

christa
08-14-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
I just don't see any problem with paying the $100 or whatever.

I feel like this thread is going in the wrong direction!

I understand that $100 is a good price instead of paying to have it all done yourself . . . I'm just saying that instead of me going to PetSmart and adopting one there for that much, I could go to my local shelter and get one for half that price, same deal. Plus, I'm sure that the kittens at PetSmart will get more exposure to people wanting to adopt . . . much more than the kittens at the Louisa, KY Animal Shelter.

I'm sorry if I misled anyone. I'm taking this very seriously . . . I want what's best for me and for the cat, and that's even if I decide to get another.

sirrahbed
08-14-2004, 04:05 PM
Oh sorry Christa! I did NOT read the whole thread and I should have!! It is odd now that I read it because here at our PetSmart, cats are $50 which is the same price as the shelter (Fayetteville)where they get the cats from. The humane society in a neighboring county (Montgomery) charges $85. We got Dylan in Franklin County - about an hour away - and he was $80. None of it is outrageous - but a big difference in price. Then I read others pay as little as $40 and as much as $150 and it does not make sense to me!
Sorry I misunderstood the point of the thread - MY FAULT!

jazzcat
08-14-2004, 04:23 PM
I just wonder what the deal is with PetsMart. I adopted both Jazz and Scout from Animal Works, a shelter/rescue clinic that was running an extra adoption site in SuperPetz pet store. They charged $65 for cats/kittens. Now Animal Works had pulled out of SuperPetz and moved into PetsMart and they charge $110 for cats/kittens. Thing is you can go to Animal Works clinic in a neighboring town and adopt directly from them for $65. Sounds like PetsMart is the reason for the increase. Do they charge a big fee to the shelters for use of their store? That's a real shame if so.

Christa, I agree that the animals in PetsMart probably have more exposure and better chance than one at a shelter, especially a kill-shelter. Good luck with whatever you decide and I think you are wise to take your time and find that perfect match for you and Josie.

sirrahbed
08-14-2004, 04:36 PM
When we got Emily and Eliot at PetSmart - they specifically explained to us that they made NO PROFIT from the adoption and that all the money went right to the shelter - we asked why they did it and they said the pets drew in business. I asked because I did NOT like the idea of "buying" a pet. If I had thought or known they profitted, I do not think I would have taken Emily and Eliot. It bothers me to think they charge extra - hopefully my PetSmart did not fib to me!! Maybe some DO charge extra?? Now I am really curious because I would want to feel all of my money went to the shelter and even made a point to ask!!
One thing - the Fayette County animals go into the "adoption center" - a nice little room with cages, glass doors, etc and the price on them is the $50. On weekends, Montgomery County brings in animals in cages and their's cost the $85 fee and maybe part of that goes to the store?? I do not know the cost of adopting directly at that shelter. We did adopt directly from Franklin County and that was $80.

leslie
08-14-2004, 07:54 PM
queenscoopalots cats and kittens go to a shelter and often go from shelter to pet smart. I don't know if there is a price difference, I was assuming not because it's the shelter employees and volunteers at petsmart so all pet smart is doing is loaning space...

christa
08-14-2004, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
Oh sorry Christa!

Don't worry about it! I'm just glad we got things straight. I was afraid I was beginning to come across as one of those people who want a cat but don't want any responsibility.

I have no clue about the price differences. All I know is that at the Lexington, KY PetSmart, they ALWAYS have cats there from the Lexington Humane Society and they are ALWAYS 100 bucks. Sometimes they bring in pets from local shelters and they are usually lower priced. Usually 50. But I seldom ever see any of those cats. Seems like on the weekends, they bring in more from local shelters.

QueenScoopalot
08-14-2004, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by leslie
queenscoopalots cats and kittens go to a shelter and often go from shelter to pet smart. I don't know if there is a price difference, I was assuming not because it's the shelter employees and volunteers at petsmart so all pet smart is doing is loaning space... I find it an absolute Godsend that the shelter I bring all my rescues to got a space in the new local Petsmart! Not only do the volunteers from the shelter take care of the cats/kittens 2x daily, but also Petsmart pays for the litter/food/toys etc! Not to mention the space involved! It is the individual shelters responsibility to care for the animals in the space, but also they are fully responsible to say who does, and does not adopt. The shelter charges $125.00 now for kittens, but have "sympathy adoptions" where if a cat is elderly, and all medical work is done, they let the cat go for free. To the right home.;) Elderly cats get matched with elderly persons in the best case as well! Too often elderly persons come searching for kittens, and are sent in the right direction, and usually go home with a loving, altered, older lap cat!;) :D ;)