PDA

View Full Version : Have a dumb question :o

Kirsten
08-13-2004, 12:50 PM
Some of you may know that I'm working on a new cat website these days, www.catmom.de (http://www.catmom.de). It's supposed to be a very informative page and I'm putting many efforts into it and would like to do a good job.

The page is in German, but I'm working on an English translation (http://www.catmom.de/engl) also. Now my question is, how do I have to refer to cats in general in my articles, as "it" or "he"? I've read a book by Pamela Johnson-Bennett and she was always referring to them as "he" or "him". This sounded a bit strange to me, but then again, "it" would be so terrible impersonal, as if the cat was just a thing. So what is the best way to do that in English?

Would be thankful for some advice! :)

Kirsten

slleipnir
08-13-2004, 12:53 PM
I think he sounds better personally...:)

Tonya
08-13-2004, 12:54 PM
I personally use "he or she" or "he/she" before "he" or "it". But I am not very good with proper English, so you probably want someone else's opinion.

p.s. I believe "he" is proper English because that is how it usually is in books. Even my child rearing books that I have always refer to the child as "he".

Samantha Puppy
08-13-2004, 12:56 PM
I would say "it" if you cannot avoid it... otherwise, I would try and say "the cat/kitten" instead of him, her OR it. "It" is the correct use of English though - saying him/his is misleading and just as offensive to the female cats as it would be to human women to be referred to as "him/his". hehe

Now, if you're talking about different cats and they have names and genders, use their name and then you can say things like "his toy" or "her food" - but only after you've stated the name and gender.

English. It's so darn confusing. Ain't it great? ;)

Edwina's Secretary
08-13-2004, 01:05 PM
"It" refers to an inanimate object --- which have no gender in English. "He" has been traditionally used as you suggest. However, today it is usual to either use "he/she" or a disclaimer that when using "He" it refers to both male and female.

Another idea I have seen used is to alternate. Using "he" sometimes and "she" sometimes.

micki76
08-13-2004, 01:07 PM
Kirsten, the only dumb question is a question not asked. :)

I would use "he".

RICHARD
08-13-2004, 01:10 PM
How's about "Your cat"?????

:)

jazzcat
08-13-2004, 01:15 PM
I think most tend to defer to 'he' when no specific gender is known.

Kirsten
08-13-2004, 01:32 PM
Thanks!!

Oh wow, this is compliacted! LOL I've noticed I've switched between "he" and "it" in my articles, but I don't like it.

Well, I'm trying to use terms like "the cat/your cat" as much as possible, but I cannot use it all the time, otherwise it would sound very stupid.

I remember I have learned "it" for animals at school, but that is a long time ago, and I saw it's barely used for pets these days.

I saw "he" is used a lot in books when the cat has no specific gender. In German, it's just the other way around, the word "Katze" (cat) is female, unless you're referring particularly to male cats.

Kirsten