PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on roommate/dog problem

defbringer
08-12-2004, 10:49 PM
This is a long post, but I would very much appreciate your input!

Ok, I'm a pretty clean guy. Not obsessive, but clean and tidy. The idea of living some place where an animal poops inside of it is, frankly, foul.

My sister and her boyfriend, recently-become fiance share this ill-behaved dog (and I LOVE dogs, but not this one), a mini-dachshund that is

* not housetrained
* pees on furniture (my two sofas that are now ruined)
* craps on the throw-rug in my computer den (at least a dozen times)
* pees on the floor (thank god for hardwood floors) every time I or one of my friends tries to pet her

My sister and her fiance are LAZY and will NOT housetrain the dog. They insist the dog HAS been housetrained and that it is natural for her breed to relieve themselves when excited. I know friends who have had this breed, and it is a load of BS.

The dog craps/pees on my furniture or on my rug, but has never gone potty in any of my sister's rooms (my part of the house is on the main floor). I have a toddler gate I have to keep up to seperate my part of the house from the living room so the dog doesn't come to urinate in there, but whenever I'm gone, somebody ends up using my bathroom and forgets to put the gate back up. I came back from a movie tonight...and voila...3 little neat turds on my rug. Sister and fiance response to me telling them the dog crapped in my room: "She did?". Not a "sorry" or even an explanation.

I've already brought this problem up to my sister, she refuses to do anything about it so I've told her she's taking over the house by herself and I'm finding a new place. But I am stuck here for another 2 months until she can afford the payment herself.

SO....what do I do?

Options:

1) "I'm deducting $100 from what I pay for the house each time I find poo or piss on my rug.."

2) "If I see dog poo in my room again, I'm putting it in your bed."

3) "If I see dog poo in my room again, I'm moving out and you're stuck with the house payments."

I know these seem ridiculous but keep in mind...I have had this dog literally ruin two very nice sofas, ruin a nice $500 rug. When i move, I'm throwing all these things away because they're RUINED.

I am a dog lover and I bear the dog no ill-will. The owner is the problem, not the dog.

Can any of you people give me some advice? Please?

micki76
08-12-2004, 10:54 PM
My opinion? If you're not on the lease, give her a final warning that should it happen again, you're leaving and then if it does happen again, leave.

How rude and disrespectful!!! Not to mention gross & nasty!:eek: How can anyone stand a dog peeing/pooping in the house?? Yuck!

Aspen and Misty
08-12-2004, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by micki76
My opinion? If you're not on the lease, give her a final warning that should it happen again, you're leaving and then if it does happen again, leave.!

Agreed!!

Ash

Shelteez2
08-12-2004, 11:49 PM
When you pick it up put it in a bag and deposit the bag at their room door. Or hang it from the door knob. And I'm not even joking. That's disgusting.

lovemyshiba
08-12-2004, 11:55 PM
I would get out of there as soon as possible. That is just disgusting, lazy and disrespectful!!
I wish they would take some time and train their dog--such a shame.
I'm glad to hear you bear no ill will towards the dog though--some people would.

Until you can get out, I like your idea of putting it in their bed:p

phiala
08-13-2004, 08:13 AM
I like the idea Shelteez2 had..

defbringer
08-13-2004, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the advice, folks!

My sister is very defensive about her dog and her response to my complaints about the doggy poo is

"Well, at least it is dry and easy to pick up. It's no big deal!"

No big deal? :rolleyes:

Anyway. I feel relieved that you folks don't think I'm some crazy person from my suggestions on how to deal with this problem!

catland
08-13-2004, 05:14 PM
you are not the one that is nuts. That's just disgusting. You should definately move out of there as soon as you can.

But please don't do anything rash or mean with the dog poop. She is your sister, so try to part on a somewhat amicable term. If anything, lie about your reason or develop "allergies".

Quite honestly, anyone who could live like that sounds a bit loony and it is never good to put a loony person on the defensive.

As for waiting two months, why? She obviously has zero respect for you and your things. She can get another part-time job if that's what she has to do to make ends meet.

get out of there!

and let us know how you are - this is a great community here at PetTalk.

DJFyrewolf36
08-13-2004, 05:51 PM
That is really gross and rude! I would leave too, and be tempted to ask for at least some payback for the things the dog has ruined. I feel sorry for the dog, really because later in life the habits of the dog are really going to be hard to change.

I respect you a great deal for not bearing ill will towards the doggy!

anna_66
08-15-2004, 09:34 AM
As mean as it is to say, I think I would do #2:o

She has no respect for you and your things. I hope you do find a way for you to live together until you can find a new place.

Good Luck!

teenster3
08-17-2004, 12:17 AM
Oh boy, I don't know if I should even put my 2 cents in. I feel your pain, I have the same problem. I don't have to worry about a "roommate" just my husband!:rolleyes:
Our Eskimo, Waffles keeps pooping on the living room carpet & it's driving my husband Matthew insane!!!!!:mad:
I try & try though to get her to go potty outside. We have a good-sized, fenced-in backyard, so I don't see why she won't go! It is VERY frustrating & I can understand the anger. Especially is your sister is being inconsiderate about the whole situation! It doesn't sound like it's your responsibility at all & she should be the one taking care of it if she cares about the dog.
All you can do is move out when the time is right for you! I hope it doesn't break your relationship up but, she needs to be more active in caring for her animal!
I TRY believe me, I try......I hope my dog stops this nasty behavior too! I get a little defensive about Waffles too. The reason in my mind is there are so many unwanted animals that I don't want to ship her off because of this "problem." I'm just hoping that I will get her to stop & things will be "normal" again!
You can call me crazy if you want.
I just get attached easily & I'm willing to try just about anything for my husband not to kill me & the dog!!!:eek:
I hope everything works out for you!
Tina

kingrattus
08-17-2004, 12:45 AM
I feel ur pain.
I'm kinda in the same situation.

I rent a room in the basement of my inlaws, Rob & I have to sleep in diff rooms (don't ask).

Well his mother has 2 dogs. One is 6 & the other is 12 or 13.
I had to buy a baby gate to the basement cause I couldn't stand the dogs craping & pissing all over the basement several times a day. These arn't small dogs. one is 40 pounds & the other is 80 pounds. so there is a HUGE mess each time.

I refuse to pick it up or even go near it. I am alergic to dog poo & get quite ill if near it (I like breathing if u know what I mean). Outdoor dog poo is ok, I can kinda handle it better cause of the fresh air.

But down here there is no such thing as fresh air. SO I have a fan that is always blowing out of my room & the tiny window is always opened year round.

When the parents go to sleep they almost never put the dogs out. & the dogs will whine ALL night long if they can't get the gate opened by them selves.

I can put the big one out & don't mind doing it, shes a good girl. But I can't & WILL NOT go near the smaller one. That dog is screwed up in the head. She attacks me for no reason & the bigger dog. & everytime I catch her, to put her outside she pisses EVERYWHERE!!!

I have never layed a hand on that dog when I was here for the first 2 years, nor yelled at her, same with everyone else. But last year I had to kick her hard several times to get her off of me. & Rob had to grab her by the throat to get her off of the big dog & his father. The dog is nuts!! & is getting worse. But since the dog is attacking everyone in the house but the mother, thats ok, shes a good dog.

Well I swear the parents open the gate in the middle of the night for the smaller dog, cause she comes down here & craps everywhere !! there is so much pee in the far side of the basement there is an everlasting puddle 8 feet long & 5 feet wide. its sooo sick!!!!

I'm glad I work all day long, cause the smell down here is sick.

Also the father cleans the "mother's" cat's litter once a month!!! the cat craps in crap, there is no litter left. & when he does change it he always tells me, there it should smell better down there & I alwasy say under my breath, no it wont. u dumped the litter into a pail that'll sit there for a nother month. & the dog crap & piss smells much worse.

I can't afford to leave here yet. But Rob's younger bro might have a sweet job soon & then the 3 of us r outta here & were staying unlisted & no one is gonna know where we live.

there r also many many more problems with the mother (shes psycho & I'm not kidding, she refuses her meds)