PDA

View Full Version : Do you make friends easily?

teenster3
08-12-2004, 07:16 PM
I have about 2 REALLY good friends that I would consider sisters. Other than that, I talk to a lot of people but don't consider them close.
I seem to get along better with guys... (My hubby, #1)
I AM close to my family though- my dad, mom, grandma, father-in-law, brother-in-law, niece & nephew. (that's it for hubby's family)
:)
And I can't forget Wicket & Waffles!
I enjoy talking to you guys but can't say I'm close to anyone here yet.
:( <<<A lot of you seem very close to each other...lucky!

jenluckenbach
08-12-2004, 07:21 PM
I do NOT make friends easily. I don't even have any friends locally, the kind you go and do stuff with. Kim (catnapper) is the closest :D:D I have never had many friends. :(

wolf_Q
08-12-2004, 07:24 PM
No, I really don't make friends easily.....I'm very shy, not outgoing at all. I also have this great talent of becomming invisible. So not many people talk to me.

I've made friends easier online, but it's alot easier to talk (at least to me it is) online vs. face to face. Most of the people from PT I've been able to become good friends with is through talking to them on AIM. I was here for a year at least and didn't really have any close friends from PT...that's because I just posted and didn't send any pms, etc.

jazzcat
08-12-2004, 07:31 PM
Nope, not at all. I had lots of friends in high school and college but moved away for a few years and lost touch with them. Now that I'm back in the area I just haven't made any friends, and I've lived here for 11 years now. I'm not big on going out with people so I guess that is one reason it's hard for me. I pretty much do everything with my husband.

Aspen and Misty
08-12-2004, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
I do NOT make friends easily. I don't even have any friends locally, the kind you go and do stuff with. I have never had many friends. :(

Ditto!!

I have ONE friend really. I mean, I talk to alot of people, but I don't go out and do things with them.

Ashley

sirrahbed
08-12-2004, 07:48 PM
I guess I am a loner. At work, I can be very sociable and appear at ease and friendly and outgoing even- but I am really an introvert by nature. We have always been in the military and so moved every 2-3 years and so making friends for long term has been difficult. I have one best friend but she lives many states away and I only see her several times a year although we talk on the phone once a month or so. Actually my "friends" are several girls here on PT that I have come to know over the past year.:D Those are the folks I run to if I need a friend! If you are asking about PT friends - it does take some time - I have been here over a year now. Eventually you will "click" with some folks, start exchanging PM's and e-mail, real mail, life events etc. Then you have a new friend! I still e-mail with my very first "cyber-buddy" from 15 years ago!!

I have no local friends and hubby is my best friend:D

BitsyNaceyDog
08-12-2004, 07:51 PM
I certainly do NOT make friends easily. I have always suffered from anxiety, some days I am even afraid to go to the mail box. I really don't have many friends at all, I do everything with my husband. Other than Justin I have my sister and I'm close to 1 of Justin's sisters. I do have 1 person who I'm really close to and she is 38 years older than me, she is my best friend and like a mother to me. I have a few other people who are "friends" but not close friends.
I've been on PT since the end of January and I post, but haven't made any friends here either.

My best friends are my pets!!

GoldenRetrLuver
08-12-2004, 07:56 PM
I'm social in real life, and have a good number of friends, but only two or three that I consider *best friends*.

I wasn't social up until High School [last year], and was very shy and distant. But, once High School kicked in, I came out of my shell, and from then on you can't get me to be quiet. :p But, now that I'm changing to a brand new school where I don't know anyone, it might be tough.

As for the "Pet Talk friends" issue, it does take time. I've had the privelige of becoming great friends with a number of people here. Don't worry, you'll make friends. :) Just look for those that share your interests, and you'll have some in no time!

RubyMutt
08-12-2004, 08:22 PM
No, not at all. I'm pretty reserved and quiet, not much of a social butterfly, I never have been :p I have a few close friends, but that's fine, I wouldn't trade them for anyone else!

Tonya
08-12-2004, 08:26 PM
I make friends pretty easily. I moved around alot growing up. I used to get excited about walking into a new school and all the new opportunities and friends to make. I have never been shy.

Amber
08-12-2004, 08:28 PM
Kinda, I have a nice group of friends, that I hang out with. But they are just "friends" I do have 1 *very* close friend. We were friends since we were babies, and our moms were friends.

But if I were to meet someone new, i'm pretty shy at first, but I open up more until i know them.

popcornbird
08-12-2004, 08:35 PM
Nope. I'm shy, quiet, and reserved around people. I have two very close friends that I call/visit all the time, but other than them, I don't have any *close* friends. I have many, MANY *friends*, or should I say *long time aquaintances*, but they are just people I know and talk to when I see. They're not *true* friends. I believe the reason is that I'm not very outgoing. While I'm certainly not as shy as I was in the past, I'm still reserved, and don't open up to people that quick. I need to know someone for quite sometime before becoming close to them. When I *do* become close to someone though, I usually can't let go of them. In other words, I have few strong friendships, but the ones that I do have are very strong. I am very close to my family and relatives though.

I am close to a few people on PT, and became close to them by getting to know them through PM's, and then IM'ing, several times a week. I have been here for over 2 years now, and for a whole year on PT, I wasn't close to ANYONE. Not really. It does take time. Now that I've been here for quite awhile, I do have some very close friends. Even then, the friends here that I consider * very close* are just 2 or 3. A lot of people PM me but like I said, it takes me sometime to actually *feel* close to someone. You'll make friends here for sure. It just takes time. :)

slleipnir
08-12-2004, 09:06 PM
I'm horrible at making friends :o 1, I don't go out a lot and 2 I'm really shy

joanofark
08-12-2004, 09:31 PM
I have tons and tons of friends! And the are all really close to me! :rolleyes:

micki76
08-12-2004, 09:49 PM
I'm not shy at all. I'm pretty outgoing and "know" a lot of people. Ironically I have just 2 close friends, everyone else is just someone I don't invest anything in. I don't like to let people get close, and I honestly don't know why. :(

cali
08-12-2004, 09:50 PM
nope I am very, very, shy. but I am getting better with that, I actually have plentie of freinds at school because I hang out in like 3 differnt groups lol theres group1-tonya, kim, simon, sesaria, sara,nick. group 2-Tara, Bryant group 3-laurin, sara(different one) allison.... and of coarse of outside of school friends-Kat, steph, maddie, jen...:p

anna_66
08-12-2004, 10:20 PM
I am usually pretty shy when I get around people. Now if I'm one on one with someone I usually do fine, just not in groups.

I have few close friends (husband, mom and niece), but I have recently started a great friendship with a member from PT (you know who you are;)).

MariaM
08-12-2004, 10:34 PM
Eh...long story. Let's just say sometimes I get in a really hyper mood, and am VERY outgoing. (at camp, my friend and I introduced ourselves to EVERYBODY in the cabin as Blake and Zest, I was Blake) But..most people thought we were weird:p But there was only one that I really got along with. So... I do make friends easy, but its hard for me to have one I could trust. I have 3 that I completely trust, one whom I haven't spoken to in years, one whom I've never met:p

Uabassoon
08-12-2004, 10:36 PM
In person I make friends really easily, I'm pretty friendly and outgoing. I will talk to just about anyone and I love meeting new people. I can pretty much talk to anyone about anything. Online though is different and I don't make friends as easily. I think I was a member of PT for about a year before I actually became friends with anyone. Now I LOVE my PT friends and I'm thankful for them.

neko1
08-13-2004, 05:52 AM
I do not make friends easily, as I am shy and most people don't seem to like me.

I've kept in touch with one friend from high school. I see her about 2 times a year. My maid of honor at my wedding has decided that she has too much fun hanging out with her other friends every weekend and I have not seen her in about 4 months.

The only person I hang out with is my husband. I think I'd die if I didn't have him and my cats.

Ally Cat's Mommy
08-13-2004, 08:00 AM
I don't really have a lot of friends, as I tend to be quite introverted in social situations. When I was working for IBM, I could give a presentation in frontof hundreds of people at a conference - no problem - but I dreaded the cocktail parties etc afterwards, as I am quite a shy person (although my workmates would never have guessed).

I have made loads of wonderful friends on Pet Talk, and I am grateful for all of you every single day!!

Brenda - My best friend in the whole world is in South Africa. Her son Shane and my son Cameron started school together, so that is how we met. She is the ONLY person who comes to the airport EVERY time I leave South Africa after a trip, and it is like having a part of me ripped out every time I say goodbye to her. I enjoy her company so much that we even pay for her and her sons to come on holiday with us (she is divorced, so money is a bit tight). She really is like the sister I never had, and I miss her terribly. (We had a really weird experience last year. We correspond via email almost daily, but only phone each other for birthdays, as it is so expensive. One day last year I had an overwhelming urge to call her. When I did she started crying and told me her mom had just died (very suddenly - she wasn't even sick). It was like our connection is so strong I could feel that she needed me:(

When I went back in June, I didn't tell her I was coming and I just walked into her office!! I will never forget the look on her face - priceless!!

This is us on vacation together last December:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v153/JulieBahrain/DSCF3293.jpg

Ally Cat's Mommy
08-13-2004, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by neko1
I do not make friends easily, as I am shy and most people don't seem to like me.

The only person I hang out with is my husband. I think I'd die if I didn't have him and my cats.

Please don't say that - I like you LOADS - you are SUCH a wonderful person, and such a valuable member of Pet Talk!!! I only have one close friend in real life, and I also spend all my time with my husband, or online with my friends here, or with my cats. (My kids have their own friends - seems like they only come home to sleep, raid the fridge and my wallet, and ask for a lift from Mom's Taxi:rolleyes: )

Harmanie
08-13-2004, 08:10 AM
I am a big social butterfly!!!:D

I get in trouble at school because of it!!!:D
I love to make friends usually because I love to give advice. I just love to be around people. Its usually what makes me happy. I also have two friends who are like my sister. But I do not have a best friend. I consider all my friends to be my best friend!!
Kate:D

phiala
08-13-2004, 08:17 AM
In school, I'm very outgoing, but when like my parents or other friends introducve me to someone outside of school, I'm really shy, until someone makes me laugh.. LMAO

Samantha Puppy
08-13-2004, 09:10 AM
It depends on the other person - I base my behavior on them. If they make me feel comfortable and welcome, I will be open and friendly and chances are, we will become friends. If they remain cool and stand-offish, I stay quiet and while we may be cordial to each other, nothing more will come out of it.

I usually have an easier time making friends with men than women. All through high school, there was me and my group of friends (except my one best girl friend). Now we're all getting married and their wives range. One of their wives is such a sweetheart, she and I hit it off right away and after only knowing her for a little over a year, she was a bridesmaid in my wedding. She and I hang out all the time, with and without our husbands. Another friend's wife is cool towards me, so she and I have never done anything on our own.

So, it depends. The older I get though, the more I long to find more female friends. I've got four, plus my mom, that I am very close with so I'm doing better but I'd still like to make more... maybe it'll be easier once I start having children and meet women through them. :shrug:

teenster3
08-13-2004, 09:52 AM
**So, it depends. The older I get though, the more I long to find more female friends. I've got four, plus my mom, that I am very close with so I'm doing better but I'd still like to make more... maybe it'll be easier once I start having children and meet women through them. :shrug:

I feel this way as well. My 2 very close friends both have children. One of them I'm very close to, their like my own but, my other's friends children.....how do I put it nicely? They can be really good but aren't warm & as friendly as my other friends kids. It's very hard to find TRUE friends these days. I had a friend from high school that I thought we were close. Come to find out, 2 years ago for my house-warming party she decides it's a good time to tell my CLOSE friend (1st time meeting) what a TERRIBLE person I am! :( :eek: ........I couldn't believe it! She just went on & on about me like we were the worst enemies in the world! I guess sometimes you really don't know people at all. Although, I should have seen the warning signs when none of my other friends liked her & said how they thought she was a user. I don't know I always trried to see the BEST in people.
I really wish I had more friends though. There are times I feel absolutely lonely & very depressed! If I'm having a WONDERFUL day, I'd like to share that too!

**(We had a really weird experience last year. We correspond via email almost daily, but only phone each other for birthdays, as it is so expensive. One day last year I had an overwhelming urge to call her. When I did she started crying and told me her mom had just died (very suddenly - she wasn't even sick). It was like our connection is so strong I could feel that she needed me

That's really cool how you have such a strong connection like that! I bet she was relieved when you called her! With my friend Tara, we say the same things at the same time a lot. It's really weird how those things happen!!!:)

Tina
08-13-2004, 10:10 AM
No I don't make friends easily, I'm very shy person and usually don't know what say to people. I am not outgoing at all.

I only have one friend from highschool but we are not close as we use to be. I have talked to my other friends from highschool maybe about 10 times over the past 6 years.

I am pretty close with my husband and he is my best friend. But I still wish I has a friend go out and do stuff with.

primabella
08-13-2004, 10:37 AM
I'm shy around strangers or if I'm not interested in being friends with a certain person. I have gotten a lot better though -- I used to be really nervous when ANYONE spoke to me but I think I finally came out of my shell. I've had a few bad experiences with past "friends" so I was really skeptical about meeting new people.

When I'm with my friends, I'm a lot more outgoing, comfortable, loud and a total nutcase. :p I guess I have a fair amount of friends online. Basically, if someone wants to be friends with me, I'm willing to be friends with them.

cloverfdx
08-13-2004, 10:45 AM
I dont make new friends easily because i am quite shy and reserved. But i do have an awesome group of friends that i hang out with (Be it clubbing, going to the movies or dinner).

We have all been friends since the first year of Highschool, yes we have had fights and not everyone gets along but we pretty much always work things out (Or just ignore one another ;) ).

They have been a great support to me over the last couple of years, and i am so gratefull for their support. *Happy tear*

Ahhhhh i love my friendlys. ;) :D
I will stop rambling now. :o

Edit* Shayna just reminded me about friends away from school/ that i went to school with.

My friends from dog club, we have been travelling around the country for 2 years now and have become very close (Some people call it Clique (Spl?) :rolleyes: ). I found it extremly easy to make friends with them all because we have the same interest and all want the best out of our dogs. :D How could i forget them.

moosmom
08-13-2004, 10:58 AM
I have 3 friends that I've known for almost my whole life who I consider family.

I think I'm a very friendly person. I like schmoozing with the customers at BB&B. I've made alot of wonderful friends here on PT.

Teenster3,

I enjoy talking to you guys but can't say I'm close to anyone here yet.
<<<A lot of you seem very close to each other...lucky!

We ARE very lucky to have each other. Just be patient, give it time. I'm sure you'll make many friends here once you've posted a while. ;)

DJFyrewolf36
08-13-2004, 03:30 PM
Well, I don't have a lot of really close friends...I have lots of "buddies" for some reason. *People I know and sometimes see when they want something. But most of them will be glad to return the favors* I am kind of shy but find it easy to babble with people I just met. Usually that puts people off because I act like I've known them for years lol. Im the master of small talk!

In high school, I was really a loner but I hung out with the same group all throughout...I go off to college for a year and found out that they all dissapeared! :(. For about a year after I got back I had NO friends at all. Then I met John (hubby) and found out that he was friends with some people that I was close to in high school lol! It was funny the first time he took me to meet his friends, and it turned out they were the people I knew too *I dated his adopted brother in high school and was good friends with him at the time*

Now I live with some of my best and closest friends. Its more like a family thing now. I treat the people I am friends with like family and treat aquatences like friends *Until they do something mean to me or my family that P**es me off* I'm just that way.

I used to have a ton of online pals, but my computer went down for about two months and I couldn't find any of them anymore. I am kinda close with a couple of people here on PT *ya know who you are :D* but I haven't been here all that long. Im just going to give it time!

lizzielou742
08-13-2004, 03:55 PM
I guess I make friends fairly easily. I was on my high school dance team (www.butlerkickline.com) and in a sorority at college (http://www.geocities.com/sherilynaopi/ukaoii) so those two experiences really forced me to learn how to get along with other girls. I just moved to Louisville in December, and so far really haven't made that many new friends here, but that's mostly because everyone I work with is over 40 (I'm 23). I do however have some friends here that were in my sorority, so I mostly just hang out with them, and with my boyfriend's friends. But I stay home more often than not, because I like being alone with my boyfriend most of the time. :D

CamCamPup33
08-13-2004, 04:30 PM
Usually no. In school, i had my group of friends, who i hung out with all the time. In class i was *Usually* quiet, depending on who was in the class, around alot of the popular kids i was really shy. But if their was a class full of people i knew, i was a complete goof.

As for PT, i consider my self very outgoing, although i only have about.. 2 *CLOSE* friends that i really can talk to about anything. I consider them some of my very best friends. :)

I'm freaked about going to highschool, and to make it worse I'm going somewhere where i know *NO ONE!* I'm scared that i won't make any friends. :p

buckner
08-13-2004, 06:46 PM
I don't want to sound conceited or anything, but most of my friends have stayed back in a land that I do not want to visit. Most of my friends do stuff that I don't want to do (illegal stuff, I'm saying), so why should I get close to them? Sure, they're still my friends, but I guess I'm just a few levels "up" from them. Everybody who meets me and knows me always say I'm not like people my age. It's so hard to tell online (anyone can be who they want to be on here), so really it's only in person that you can tell. My dad always introduces me as "This is my daughter, Sara. She's 16 going on 39." That pretty much sums it up, in my eyes. My mom tells me that she wishes she had my knowledge (not necessarily book smart) about life 10 years ago.

With that said, it's hard to get close to anyone. I have 2 people in person that I'd say are my best friends. Both are girls, yes. One's a Christian, and one's not. That's another thing. I've always wanted a Christian friend that I could go to, and get moral advice about, and I finally found her. She's at my level of maturity, and knows just what I know. My best friend who is not a Christian is just as mature, and everything, but it's just not the same. That does not mean I don't love her just as much, it's just not the same.

I have another best friend, and he's 28. I'm 16, and he's 28, and he always forgets about my age. By the way I talk to him (online, not in person, because he lives in Philadelphia) he just can't remember "she's only 16". I've learned to lean on him in ways that I can't lean on anyone else, and I know he's not going anywhere.

So, after all this babbling, I have trouble making "close" friends. I'm a very outgoing person and not shy at all, but that doesn't make me reserved. I know who's good for me, and who's not good for me. That's not supposed to be mean, but a lot of people that I know and are friends with are just meant for me. Life will go on, and we'll never talk to eachother again. Since I'm not close to them, I'm not going to be heartbroken. I guess that's a good thing. I don't get heartbroken too much because I'm only close with 3 friends (other than my parents, and family) and no one else. *sigh*

carole
08-13-2004, 11:33 PM
Although I class myself socially introverted, I do not have trouble making friends, but it is me who is very choosey about who I pick as my friends, I prefer one or two very special, close friends to having a lot, who IMO are just aquaintances.

I am a very loyal and devoted friend, and once you have me , its for life.

I guess I am also quite a loner , preferring my own company and that of my cats most of the time, but I do enjoy company too, and its when something bad happens that it is good to have caring , loyal friends around you.

Kfamr
08-13-2004, 11:42 PM
I can very easily make friends, even when I don't want to. Just the other day a girl on my bus was laughing and laughing on the ride home because I was joking around with my friends, then when we got off, she started talking to me as we were walking home. Now she waits for me to get off the bus everyday.

Sometimes I'm just fine with only the friends I have already, so then it's hard for me to accept new friends. :p

Of course, a majority of my friends are into the drugs and on.. but there's no way no how i'm getting sucked into that little stage.

ScantyNebula
08-14-2004, 12:44 AM
Good question .. looks like a lot of us here aren't that great at making friends.

I'll join you guys too .. I'm pretty shy. I find that I do much better and open up more when I'm around someone who's outgoing. But being around someone else who's shy is just awful! Silent treatment! lol I'd like to be that type of person that has all kinds of friends and is very social, but honestly its just not me. I actually prefer to be alone and with my bf and of course the cats. When meeting someone new I kinda find it stressful to have to think of something to say .. I'm not a schmoozer or small talker.

Unfortunately I lost all touch with my close friends once I finished college ... and now we just moved to a new province so I definetely don't have any friends now .. heh

As for PT, I don't have any close friends but thats my own fault cause I haven't been around the past while.