PDA

View Full Version : Need You're Opinions Please

rg_girlca
08-11-2004, 04:36 PM
I'm sorry I know I don't usually post on the Dog side, I do come to read some of the posts though, but I really need you opinion in regards to my Lhasa Apso, Buddy.
He is about 13-14 years old. We don't know his exact age as he was abandoned on the streets.
Anyway, since he has gotten older, he is afraid of thunder, which he wasn't when he was younger. Also, the past few days, some kids have been outside playing with cap guns and they make quite a bit of noise. It didn't register to me at first as to why he was sticking to me like glue. I mean, he is always in the same room as me, but not as close as he has been. The minute I would get up to go into another room, he would be right by my feet. Well today, the kids started with the cap guns again and poor Buds jumped up in my lap and was literally shaking like a leaf. Then I realized why, the bang noise from the cap guns. So I went around closing all the windows to drown out the noise. He is better now and laying under my com desk by my feet.
I'm sorry this is longer than I expected, but my question is, "Is this a normal behaviour because he is older?"
Since I have never had a dog before, always cats, I don't know what is normal behaviour for an elderly dog.
I would appreciate your opinions on this.

Toller 42
08-11-2004, 04:40 PM
he might be more sensitive to noise now that he's older, I have a 8-11 year old I don't know how old she is exactly but she's more afraid of loud noises now then she was when she was younger. My Toller mix is 1 and she gets terrified when she hears thunder or any loud noise, she jumps up on my lap and pants and shakes really badly sometimes she shakes so much it weakens her to the point where she can't walk.

KYS
08-11-2004, 05:33 PM
Not sure why it started when Buddy got older.
But Sheba hates the noise from cap guns and
anything with a bang.

dogs_4_me
08-11-2004, 06:15 PM
My previous pup was like that, as he got older he got very jumpy, he got to the point where if he heard the base on car radios going by he would get scared, lawn mowers and motercycles were what he was most scared of though, he only started been fearful around 7.

rg_girlca
08-11-2004, 06:44 PM
Thanks for your replies, I really appreciate it.
So from what I can gather, this is a normal behaviour and nothing to worry about. He just started being nervous about thunder last year and I also notice that he pants heavily also when he is nervous.
I just talk to him softly, hold him and tell him. "It's okay, the big bad noise will be gone soon."

carole
08-11-2004, 07:34 PM
Yes I can re-assure you that it is quite normal for a lot of dogs, our cattle dog, who was an outdoor dog, used to sit on the courtyard and if the ranchsliders were open and there was thunder he would crawl inside and hide, he was so scared, I don't think there is anything you can do to help the dog be less scared ,just give lots of cuddles and pats and re-assuring words.

pitc9
08-11-2004, 07:39 PM
I'm sure you talking to him while it's happening is helping! I try to do that with Buddy during thunder storms..... It seems to help.

primabella
08-12-2004, 09:40 AM
Wow, I can't even imagine how Buddy must have been during that thunderstorm two nights ago.

I'm pretty sure it is normal behavior.. Mickey isn't afraid of thunder but he hates the noise of aluminum pans or anything like that. Is that normal? I'm guessing so. I'm sure you comforting him is a great help to him. :)

binka_nugget
08-12-2004, 09:49 AM
I don't know how true this is but I've heard that reassuring while the dog is afraid is interpreted as praise by the dog. I know one group of people who say to never pet and baby talk a dog while it's afraid, and another group of people who say it's completely fine to cuddle and talk to it softly while it's afraid.

But yes, that's pretty normal. Kai's afraid of some loud noises. It takes one loud bang to tramatize Kaedyn. He won't even step into the kitchen anymore unless I coax him in.

CatMama78
08-12-2004, 11:43 AM
I don't have experience with this so can't say for sure, but think about people as they age. They are a lot more sensitive to noise, so I think it makes sense that a doggie would be too. Poor Buddy - tell those kids to quiet down.

kimlovescats
08-12-2004, 03:48 PM
Awwww, poor Buddy! Lorraine, please give him extra kissies and pets from his Aunt Kim!!!!;)

jazzcat
08-12-2004, 05:02 PM
Poor Buddy.

Disney is 12+ years old and I haven't noticed this from her but she is probably losing her hearing a little (or just ignoring me more).

clara4457
08-12-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by binka_nugget
I don't know how true this is but I've heard that reassuring while the dog is afraid is interpreted as praise by the dog. I know one group of people who say to never pet and baby talk a dog while it's afraid, and another group of people who say it's completely fine to cuddle and talk to it softly while it's afraid.

You are absolutely correct, you should not "baby" a pup when they are having a fearful reaction. Otherwise it inadvertently reinforces the fear reaction. What you can do, however, is try to act as matter of fact as possible - talking to your dog is great as long as you do it the same way as any other time. You need to come across to your dog that it is "no big deal". You might want to engage the dog in a play session or a training session - which will distract them from the loud noises. Both Leo and Penny are scared of fireworks, so the week of Fourth of July - I have their crates in the basement where they seem to feel the safest. I leave the door open to the upstairs, but they will go down there when it gets too loud or are frightened.

Generally a dog that gets older starts to loose some of the hearing. I find it interesting that your dog is becoming more sensitive to loud noises. It could have been something that frightened him when you weren't home and he is associated all noises with this thing. Buster, my RB dog when he was about 8 years old inadvertently knocked a vase off a shelf which shattered right next to him. He was petrified of all loud noises from that point on. :o

carole
08-12-2004, 06:24 PM
Well I have learn't something here, I never knew that, but come to think of it, it does make sense, so sorry scotty dog for all those years we confused you.

rg_girlca
08-12-2004, 07:01 PM
Thank you all so very much for your replies.

Primabella, during that storm, I swear if Buddy could have crawled under my skin he would have.

Extra kisses given to Buds from his Aunt Kim.:)

Clara, I don't baby talk to Buddy, I use my normal voice whenever I talk to him.
I found that very interesting what you said about something maybe might have frighten him when we weren't home and in regards to his hearing, he can still hear a low whistle from across the street as my neighbour always whistles to him when she sees us. Sometimes I don't even hear it myself.

lizzielou742
08-13-2004, 12:18 PM
Aww, poor Buddy. My doggie Dixie (lives w/my parents back home) shakes like a leaf at thunderstorms or firecrackers. She always did it when she was younger, but it's worse now. Maybe they feel more vulnerable and therefore more scared because of their age? I don't know, just an idea.

I think this is a good time to beg for some Buddy pics!! :D
Pleeeeeze? ;)

chrissycat21
08-14-2004, 09:51 AM
Poor Buddy! Snowy gets so scared during storms and the 4th of July because of fire works. She even gets scared if you stomp on the floor really loud!

Make sure to watch Buddy well when there are loud noises. Snowy took off once when she was a puppy but since Buddy is older (and probably better trained) he might not. (I don't know him, so you have to use your judgement.)

-Chrissy

K9soul
08-14-2004, 10:03 AM
I was going to suggest that maybe it is BECAUSE he can't hear the thunder as well but feels the vibration of it and that could be frightening him, but then saw where you said he can still hear really well. I know my RB boy Cody developed anxiety in his senior years, which he never had as a young dog. He would get frightened and cry if he woke up and found himself in a room alone. As a younger dog, he had always been the really self-assured one of my two collies. My vet explained that it is fairly common for older dogs to develop anxieties and quirks, the same way people can, as they get older. Cody's wasn't severe enough to medicate but there are medications out there for canine senior dementia, although I think they are very expensive. My vet just had me give Cody St. John's Wort.

Tasha is afraid of storms and I let her hover near me but try to act casually and speak/act normally. Nothing on earth will distract her from her fear of a clap of thunder, but I have gotten so I lead her downstairs in the basement where she curls on the couch and can't hear the thunder as well or see all the lightning down there. She usually settles down then and she seems to consider that her safe spot.