PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Charlie =(

Kfamr
08-11-2004, 02:04 PM
There's supposed to be a Hurricane coming very close to us.. maybe even directly at us by Friday. I'm so scared and worried. why does Florida's weather have to be so damned stupid?!

Ugh.....
Sorry for the pointless rant. :(

dukedogsmom
08-11-2004, 02:38 PM
Yeah, he's supposed to hit at about 1am on Saturday. I hope everyone over there will be ok! Want to hang out at my house? Can you see all four dogs there? Now that would really be a hurricane. I hope it's not bad. Oh, I get the joy of driving to work in that crap, too when really I want to hide under my covers.

catland
08-11-2004, 02:40 PM
be careful everyone. Check back tomorrow and let us know how you are.

dogs_4_me
08-11-2004, 03:17 PM
Be carefull guys! I've never been in a hurricane before, let us no about it tommorow

BitsyNaceyDog
08-11-2004, 03:29 PM
I was thinking about how much rain Charley is going to dump on us, inland, I didn't even think about you guys on the coast. I hope you guys are alright.
This is the estimated path :(
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/kblaix/furbabies/hurricanecharley.gif

jungle4u
08-11-2004, 03:31 PM
I've been in hurricans and near hurricans. they can be pretty scary but beautiful at the same time. But if they tell you that you need to leave. do it. flood warnings are no joke! Dont' be scared. I hope youll be okay!!!:)

jennah

primabella
08-11-2004, 03:33 PM
I'll be praying that everything is okay. Stay safe guys. :(

chocolatepuppy
08-11-2004, 03:35 PM
Kay yeah hurricanes suck, I lived in Florida a few years back! Up here we have the dreaded tornadoes!!! One hit the little town I live in but I was still in Fl then!I hide in the basement with all my furkids any time the wind picks up whether there's a warning or not.
Please be careful all of you down that way!

jungle4u
08-11-2004, 03:36 PM
Same here!! I had your guys prayers when I needed you so you'll definetly get mine! stay safe!

Jennah

Toller 42
08-11-2004, 03:36 PM
I hope everythings okay! let us know tomorrow.

dukedogsmom
08-11-2004, 03:38 PM
Thanks guys. It's not supposed to hit until Saturday, though. I'm sure it will be nasty before then.

lovemyshiba
08-11-2004, 04:45 PM
Stay safe all of you in Florida, make sure you check in when it's all over with.

My husband's grandmother is in Florida, as well as my stepmom's mother, but I'm not sure how close they are to the storm areas. I hope everyone's alright.

gini
08-11-2004, 05:36 PM
Kay Ann, don't apologize for what you think is a rant! Wow, if I had a possible hurricane coming my way I would be doing more than ranting!

Please do take care and I hope that you and your family will be safe. Please keep in touch with us as Charley progresses.

We all want to know that you are safe.

phiala
08-11-2004, 05:43 PM
Oh, I hope everything goes ok! You'll be in our prayers!

Harmanie
08-11-2004, 05:45 PM
I hope you'll be alright! I'll pray for you indeed. Be safe

anna_66
08-11-2004, 06:05 PM
I've never been in a hurricane and I think I would be scared to death.
I'll be keeping you and all the others in my prayers. Check in often to let us know how your riding it out.

CamCamPup33
08-11-2004, 10:06 PM
It's also supposed to be up to 105 mph by friday night! And a catagory 2. That's what sucks about being so close to the ocean -- you most will most likely see plenty of hurricanes in your days. :p We have started to stock up just in case it doesn't decide to change path's and keep the path the forcaster's intended. Ahhhh, all i can hope is the power isn't out and it's not *too* bad! :p

dukedogsmom
08-11-2004, 10:09 PM
I HATE this time of year because of this. And, because I'm considered emergency personnell, I can't even stay home and hide from it. I just hope I don't get stuck at work. I'm off the next two days but have to work Saturday. Good Kay and Amber. At least I'm halfway inland.

trayi52
08-11-2004, 10:20 PM
Please stay safe, all of you in Florida. I don't blame you for being worried Kay. I would be scared to death! Stay safe and keep us informed.

Willie

Fox-Gal
08-11-2004, 10:52 PM
This is the one thing I really hate about living in Florida. :mad: I'm thankfully I live in the middle of the state at least, it usually slows down some by the time it gets my way. But you can never trust them or where or what they will do, so be pepaired.

I know one year, the news said the hurricane had changed course and was going into the gulf. So we when ahead with our plans to go down the peace river, camping. As we are flotting down the river in the middle of no where, the radio says it's didn't move and it was coming our way. :eek: :eek: No time to paddle back to the cars, so we pulled up as high as we could onto dry land, set up camp and sat through the hurricane in the woods. The next morning, the boats, that where on dry land, where now in the river and we where camped in water. :eek:

After that, I don't count on anything they say 100%, I make sure I'm ready for anything. I'm sure that the power will go out, ours goes out for everything, thats the only thing I can count on. :(

I just worry more about the pets right now more then anything. It's not like we can move chickens, ducks, the goose, goats etc in the house with us. So fingers crossed it's not that bad.

Try to fine the bright side of everything...........Mmmm???..... At least it's not a catagory 5. Just stay inside, hug you pups, and try not to worry to much, it will be over shortly and hopefully the worce you'll have to put up with is picking up branches in your yard.

Kfamr
08-11-2004, 11:17 PM
My neighbor, who works for a local news station, said that the hurricane is supposed to go south of us. She also said that the storm surge is going the other way, as in pushing the water out so the water won't come in.

I'm still very worried.

Fox-Gal
08-11-2004, 11:40 PM
Kay is this your first hurricane? Just wondering.

Please try not to worry to much and 2 isn't that bad, it's not good, but not bad. The most people that have to worry, is those on the water and if what you say is true then that will help them alot. It's the storm surge that cause alot of the damage and if you live in a strong house you can fell a little safer. Just don't go hanging out side or at the window. ;)

I've been through 4 from a 1 to a 4 and even camped through one. LOL You'll be ok, if you perpaired right. If there damage or water that comes into you home etc. it can all be repaired. No biggie in the long run.

Kfamr
08-11-2004, 11:44 PM
I've never been IN an actual hurricane but lots have come close. I always worry. I could careless if it takes our house, damages it, what not.. I just don't want my family, friends, and especially my dogs to get hurt. :(

I've lived in Florida my whole life so i've definetly seeen my share of bad storms.

slick
08-12-2004, 12:03 AM
I heard about this on the radio tonight on my way home from work. All they said was that one was to hit the Florida Panhandle and other one will hit the Florida Keys. Please be safe people and check in so we know you are OK.

Logan
08-12-2004, 06:15 AM
We getting the rain from the first one this morning. Thankfully, by the time it gets to where we live, it is usually heavy rain, and sometimes flooding. Sounds like what Floridians are going to have to deal with, with both storms, is the same thing, just a heavier dose than what we will get.

Take care, everyone, and hopefully it will all go ok. We lived through Hugo in 1989. I thought our house was going to blow off it's foundation. My hometown had horrible damage from that one, and they live about 2 hours inland. It was a much higher catagory hurricane than either of the ones out there now, though.

Logan

ramanth
08-12-2004, 08:18 AM
Bonnie is supposed to make landfall this afternoon and Charley later this weekend. Everyone in FL, be safe!! I'm thinking of you all.

*HUGS*

prechrswife
08-12-2004, 09:14 AM
Stay safe, everyone in Florida. We are in south Georgia, and it looks like we'll be getting the leftovers of Bonnie and Charley. Fortunately, we're far enough inland that we should just have some nasty weather.

CatMama78
08-12-2004, 10:02 AM
Oh gosh. How scary. Be Safe!!!!

I used to live in New Orleans and we had a couple of scares but nothing too bad ever hit.

Amber
08-12-2004, 10:18 AM
Be safe you guys!

Katiesmom
08-12-2004, 10:24 AM
Keep safe!

I was in a Hurricane one time and that is when Hurricane Hugo came through North Carolina and that was sooo scary but at the same time exciting...but you guys will definitly be in my prayers:)

Kfamr
08-12-2004, 10:49 AM
*sigh* I stayed home today because I was just too damned worried.... i'm ready to jump up and do what I have to do.

They JUST said on the news "The storm could very well head into Tampa Bay..."

It could come directly to Tarpon Springs.... which is just to town over from mine. If that's so, it's possible that we well be heading off to my cousin's house in Tennesee.

Is it bad that i'm more worried about me, my family, my friends, and especially my dogs than I am everyone else and my home. It can take my home... take my school.. take everything else just not anyone I know and especially not my dogs.

I feel selfish because of that.

After I get off of here

joanofark
08-12-2004, 11:40 AM
No that's not selfesh at all! I would be thinking the same thing. Oh I have no clue what to say. I geuss just keep watching the news and update us if you can!

{{{{{Hugs}}}}}
{{{{{Prayers}}}}}

Kfamr
08-12-2004, 11:45 AM
I just finished packing up a bag for the dogs.. Food, treats, toys, their folders, extra harnesses/collars/leashes ect...

luckies4me
08-12-2004, 11:51 AM
I am so sorry you guys are going through this scare. Please take care of yourselves and especially the pets. Keep us all updated!

dukedogsmom
08-12-2004, 12:03 PM
I've been wondering about you. They're saying right now that it could hit right at Pinellas county. Stay safe! Hope you don't have to go to Tennessee but it's good that you're getting prepared. I am so stressed out so I can imagine how you feel. Hug all the dogs for me.

Harmanie
08-12-2004, 12:05 PM
I hope you'll be allright! I'm am too, glad that your preparing. At least your taking safety percautions. Stay safe!

Kate

Kfamr
08-12-2004, 01:13 PM
I'm sitting here crying. I'm going insane.
I want to do something. I want to be safe. I don't want to be sorry.

My dad keeps saying that we have 24 hours. We will decide what to do later. I want to have a plan. I want to know what we're going to do. I don't like not having plans. The wind is already very strong here.

I can't stop crying now.

My mom can't even get off work. Neither can my brother. Neither can my sister. I feel sick to my stomach. I want to get the hell out of Florida. Forever. I HATE Florida.

Harmanie
08-12-2004, 01:16 PM
I am just so sorry!!! oh please stop crying! I'm sure everything will work out for the best ya know? I know your scared for your family, but I am praying for you!

Stay safe.

Kate

Cinder & Smoke
08-12-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr

My dad keeps saying that we have 24 hours.
We will decide what to do later.
I want to have a plan.
I want to know what we're going to do.

Your Dad's right!

"Bonnie", the storm that's hitting near you NOW -
has been downgraded to a "Tropical Storm" -
no longer a Hurricane.

"Charlie" is the one for you to watch -
he still IS a :eek: Hurricane!

But "Charlie" won't hit your area till sometime around noon - FRIDAY.

And in the next 24 hours - "Charlie" could change course and not
be much of a threat to you (we'll HOPE for that!)

Your Dad has been through these storms before - and HAS a "plan" -
you're going north, out of danger, IF the storm gets too close.

Visit these National Weather sites - for current info >>>

NOAA - National Hurricane Center (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/)

MAP ~ "Charlie's Path" (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_astorm3+shtml/121453.shtml?)

Hang in there! ;)

Kfamr
08-12-2004, 01:41 PM
I KNOW that. I want to have a plan I want to be ready, but what is my dad doing? Sitting on the porch smoking a cigarette! WHAT A WONDERFUL PLAN!!!

I want to get out of here.

gini
08-12-2004, 01:48 PM
Kay Ann, try going out to your Dad and talking to him calmly and ask his advice.

Have you thought of everything for your dogs? What does he suggest? Any other worries on your mind.

Keep in mind that perhaps your Dad is just as worried as you are......he may not show it though.

Please try to get a hold of yourself and be as rational as you can because if you do have to evacuate - your dogs will count on you to be as soothing and calming as you can be.

Kfamr
08-12-2004, 01:53 PM
We're going to go get Caeleigh and Orion from my brother's house right now. He's in a flood zone and they won't let him fof work. If we leave, we're going to bring them with us.

lbaker
08-12-2004, 02:20 PM
Gini's right about trying to maintain your composure if only not to freak out those dear dogs. You know how they can pick up on your "vibes". I'm keeping a candle in the window for all of you in Bonnie & Charlie's path. I've always found the water danger (especially when the ground is already saturated) can do more harm than even the wind. If driving DO NOT TRY TO DRIVE THROUGH STANDING WATER. DON'T DON'T DON'T. Sometimes staying put is the best thing unless advised to evacuate. I've been through several hurricanes and you have every reason to feel fear, just keep faith and try to maintain control. Check back in when you can... you too DDMom.

Amber
08-12-2004, 02:28 PM
Oh, Kay. your just like me in storms. I get all panicy and worried, and i feel sick too.

Take a deep breath, everything will be okay. It's good that you are ready if you have to go. (((HUGS)))

ChrisH
08-12-2004, 02:53 PM
{{Hugs}} Kay. Will be keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers.

popcornbird
08-12-2004, 03:09 PM
I have *never* seen or experienced a hurricane, tornado, or any major storm in my life. I know I would be scared to death. It sounds so scary. The most we get here are very mild thunderstorms, like only once a year for one or two nights. Living by the ocean doesn't mean you have to experience hurricanes. It all depends on which ocean you live close to. I guess that's the good thing about California. Our ocean isn't that mean. ;) Our earthquakes are pretty scary though...

I hope everyone in Florida stays safe. Keep us updated. :(

chocolatepuppy
08-12-2004, 03:21 PM
Kay, Your dad knows what he's doing.I know it's hard when you're not the one in control. Sounds like you are well prepared in case you have to leave. I will keep you and yours in my thoughts and prayers.

joanofark
08-12-2004, 03:32 PM
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Prayers}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Pt prayers always work.:)

lizzielou742
08-12-2004, 03:36 PM
Be careful everyone in Florida!!

(((hugs)))

Kfamr
08-12-2004, 04:12 PM
We have three cats here now. Caeleigh, Orion, and Chloe.

I'm hoping we'll be leaving.

dogs_4_me
08-12-2004, 04:17 PM
Is really windy out there?I would be so terrified, you sound prepared though, so that it good!

Toller 42
08-12-2004, 04:18 PM
I hope everything will be okay! I have never been in a situation like that, i can only imagine how you feel. but try to stay calm for the dogs. please keep us updated on how things are going. Atleast you're prepared.

GoldenRetrLuver
08-12-2004, 04:24 PM
Stay safe, you guys.

Be careful!

lizbud
08-12-2004, 04:28 PM
Be safe, be careful. I be thinking of you guys & hoping this
storm passes quickly & everything can get back to normal.:)

Hugs to all the furry ones.:)

BitsyNaceyDog
08-12-2004, 04:29 PM
Kay- I sent you a PM. I am 100% serious, you and your family (you, your parents, your sister and brother along with the dogs and cats) are all welcome to stay here.

primabella
08-12-2004, 04:39 PM
That's a very nice offer, KBlaix. :)

I'll be praying for everyone down there. I'm getting really worried, not only for all of you but one of my best friends is vacationning in Florida now. I hope everything turns out okay. :( :(

dukedogsmom
08-12-2004, 04:39 PM
I hope it's not bad over there. So far, all we've got here is some wind. I know that's going to change, though. I'll be so glad when it's gone! I hate storms and hurricanes. Having good comfort food for supper. rotiserie chicken, stuffing and a strawberry pie for dessert. Going to keep Duke close all night. I'll bet you're having fun with your mini zoo there. If you're not too nervous, get some pics. That will take your mind off it a little. You've got my number if you want to talk. Call me!

CamCamPup33
08-12-2004, 05:04 PM
I have been watching the news and they are saying now that it's going to the SW. It's completley passing me, although their is going to still be tropical storm winds. Unfortuntley it's heading towards other's here. Hope everyone's prepared and ready.

Here's a picture to show..

http://images.ibsys.com/sh/images/weather/auto/at200403.gif

Kfamr
08-12-2004, 05:06 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
We;'re staying here. MY PARENTS ARE INSANE. I hate this state. I hate this house. I DO NOT FREAKING FEEL SAFE. I want to leave now.

hrgenwgwerewnreq-jfeqwpnjnppnjuifqpojnipw4fpn4qjnpoofprffbf

dogs_4_me
08-12-2004, 05:12 PM
I'm sure your parents have a plan and they think they are doing what is best Stay safe!!!!

Kfamr
08-12-2004, 05:15 PM
No, they don't. I've already asked them many times what we're doing, what I should and so on. "I don't know" is their response.

UGH...... why oh why was I chosen to live in Florida...stupid, stupid Florida.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-12-2004, 05:17 PM
Kay, I've never been in a hurricane, but I do know that if the authorities think it's bad enough they will send out the evacuation notices. If they do that, you really should try and convince your parents to leave. My theory is it's always better to be safe than sorry - hopefully they'll agree too.

Good luck and try and stay calm. We'll be thinking about you and hoping all goes well!

Kfamr
08-12-2004, 05:20 PM
They have been telling people to evacuate. I told them it's better to be safe.

UGH.... I guess the STUPID kids at school got their wish. They kept saying "I hope it comes so school is closed"

FREAKIN idiots. They need to be in school if they wish for such a thing.

dukedogsmom
08-12-2004, 05:20 PM
Hey, if you weren't down here, chances are, we never would have met! I'm going to move up north eventually but right now I have to live in this horrible humidity with no snow for Christmas.

CamCamPup33
08-12-2004, 05:22 PM
I'm still watching the news. It's saying that the storm is getting more dangerous at the minute, they think most likely by tonight it will be a catagory 3. Found this article.

380,000 Tampa Area Residents Asked To Evacuate

POSTED: 12:41 pm EDT August 12, 2004
UPDATED: 1:08 pm EDT August 12, 2004

Some 380,000 Tampa Bay area residents have been asked to evacuate from coastal or low-lying areas because of Hurricane Charley.

Charley's Projected Path

The order is being recommended by county emergency management officials. It will take effect at 6 p.m.

The evacuation order also affects residents of the county's 50,000 mobile homes, although many are winter vacation homes and are empty this time of year. Officials estimate the evacuation will take 16 to 19 hours.

Pinellas County has 70,000 shelter spaces. But experts have told commissioners that demand is expected to be 104,000. Many residents are expected to seek shelter with friends or relatives.

Officials say Pinellas residents who refuse to evacuate will not be arrested or forcibly removed. But forecasters warn Charley is expected to hit Florida's west coast Friday and could pack winds of 105 mph. Another worry is the storm surge tide, predicted at six to ten feet above normal.

At 11 a.m., Charley was about 420 miles south of Miami. A turn to the north, northwest is expected over the next 24 hours. Winds are near 90 mph, with gusts reaching 105 mph.

Some strengthening is expected over the next 24 hours as the storm moves toward the western half of Cuba at about 16 mph. Charley could be a Category Two or even Three hurricane by the time it reaches the west coast of Florida, according to Ed Rappaport of the National Hurricane Center.

Yikes!

popcornbird
08-12-2004, 05:45 PM
Yikes! :(:eek:

There's evacuation notices for Floridans by the bay on every news website. GET OUT OF THERE if your area is really threatened. I'm serious. Do whatever you can to convince your parents. Its better to be safe than sorry.

I hope everyone in your area will be alright. :( I am so glad I don't live in Florida.

My uncle was on vacation there during hurricane Andrew, and he was in a ferry, in the Atlantic when the hurricane struck. Just imagine. People were evactuating their cities, and he was crazy enough to go on a ferry tour during a horribly dangerous hurricane. He made it out safely, but he said, when the hurricane started tormenting their ship, he thought that was the end of him.

wolf_Q
08-12-2004, 05:48 PM
My mom was just asking me about you this morning, Kay, when she heard about what was happening over in Florida. This is so frightening for all of you over there. Please keep safe everyone! You are welcome to move to Utah, we don't have hurricanes here. ;)

Corinna
08-12-2004, 06:02 PM
Kay I know you are frecked out right now but you need to take a deep breath you can't be doing the kids any good they will pick up on your fear . I know it's very hard but as a mom you have too. I was in Iowa when they started talking about a tornado, being from Washington state we never had them. I started frecking I scared the crap out of my 2 skin kids. (all the rest of them have lived in Iowa for ever )just kept fishing on the lake until golf ball sized hail came down.But my fear had my kids so worked up they were nausous (family trait for extreme stress) All prayers coming from Montana to surround you and your family.

Kfamr
08-12-2004, 11:32 PM
*Sigh*
We're just waiting. It's supposed to start reaching us at around 11 tomorrow (or today)

Please everyone think of us..

The cats went with Lauren's mom. My grandparents are here.

They estimate 12 hours of stormy weather... hopefully iy all goes smoothly for us. :( I'm so worried and feel like crying again.
I don't want to be here.

Charley... I'll never forget you.... but please go away... get over with.. and leave us all safe and sound. :(

Please, please think of us.

lovemyshiba
08-12-2004, 11:36 PM
Still thinking of you and your family Kay, and hoping everyone is alright.
All of you Floridians are in my prayers tonight.

gini
08-12-2004, 11:43 PM
Kay Ann, I think all of us are very worried for your family's safety and all other Floridians.

Please keep posting every once in a while to let us know you are alright.

Prayers are being said for your safety.

Charley - what a trouble maker you are!

Toller 42
08-13-2004, 12:24 AM
I hope you're going to be okay! please keep posting every once in a while so we know how you're doing, I hope charlie decides to change paths. Fingers and paws crossed that everything will be okay. we're thinking of you and all the other Floridians.

RubyMutt
08-13-2004, 01:24 AM
You and the rest of Florida's coast expected to get hit are in my thoughts! Be safe!

(((HUGS)))

BitsyNaceyDog
08-13-2004, 03:55 AM
Wow it was 4: 30 in the morning and bitsy was barking like crazy "momma get up". The wind is already blowing like mad and the dogs are sensing the storm. Kay- I can't imagine what it's like over there. You are in my thoughts and prayers, I wish you the best.

For those of you who don't know where St.Cloud is, it's very near Orlando. I am 2 hours form the west coast and 1 hour from the east coast. The storm is coming up from the south west. I will get nothing compared to Kay, please keep her and everyone else on the west coast in your thoughts and prayers for the next few days.

Kay and others will be without power, I'm sure. I will keep you posted with whatever I know. (as long as I have power, but I don't anticipate it going out here.)

koxka
08-13-2004, 05:00 AM
They are in my thoughts.It must be so scary!:(
Please,take care!

Ally Cat's Mommy
08-13-2004, 07:42 AM
Kay, I am praying that you and your family are safe. Please give us an update when you can!

(((HUGS)))

Julie

lizzielou742
08-13-2004, 08:24 AM
Kay, you better quit, you're making me nervous about my grandparents! :) (My grandparents also live in Palm Harbor, FL, very near whrere Kay lives). Just kidding, you're allowed to freak me out. I think my grandparents already evacuated.

anna_66
08-13-2004, 08:34 AM
Thinking about you this morning Kay, how ya doin'?

Kfamr
08-13-2004, 08:41 AM
Everything's fine here, as of now.

The pups and I just woke up.. they had their morning potty and their breakfast.

It's actually rather calm out right now...

Today's Friday the 13th. I bet the superstitious people down here are flipping out right now.

I think we have about another 2 or so hours until he comes......and 12 hours of him visiting. He's like ones of those annoying aunts that come over uninvited and overstay their visits. I sure could name a few.

Harmanie
08-13-2004, 08:43 AM
I'm so glad that you have calmed down from yesturday!!

Stay safe!! I'm still praying!!:)

Kate and harmanie

phiala
08-13-2004, 08:45 AM
Stay safe, guys!! Good Luck!

Kfamr
08-13-2004, 08:46 AM
I haven't calmed. I'm just more worried. I guess what's going to happen is going to happen and we're not going anywhere.

I still do not feel safe.

I guess the part about being somewhat calm is that i'm very tired. My grandma here isn't making it any better... she's walking around saying "It doesn't look very promising"

:(

Holly's mom
08-13-2004, 09:16 AM
Are you supposed to be evacuating? Or did you have to board up windows and such to prepare? Forgive me if I appear ignorant, I have no clue about being in a hurricane. I just know I would be freaking out. Obviously we don't have hurricanes here, but we do have have violent thunderstorms and tornadoes, and that's enough to freak me out.

I hope everything turns out o.k. for you.

Harmanie
08-13-2004, 09:21 AM
I am so sorry!

try taking a couple breaths. have you tried to talk to your family about how you feel and what their doing isn't helping?

I wish i can make you feel better and say everything will be fine but i don't know anything. I can only pray and hope for the best. Maybe u can do something. maybe your family is scared and doesn't know what to do. Maybe if you were to talk to them and tried to sort things. out. have you guys talked about what to do. or is it all just a i don't know what to do situation. is there some where you folks can go?

I'm still praying for you and your families safety!

(oh, and your pets too!)

Corinna
08-13-2004, 10:34 AM
Kay ann , We here are keeping you and the kids in our thoughts and prayers . Sounds like a good time to remain in your room with the kids, I know about not helpful relitives , we just had every one here for a wedding. I remembered a little thing I did as a kid ( I couldn't handle these relitves then eather) I find a picture in my mind a place I felt safe and comfy with my favorite dog. them I pictured myself there too. Amazing how you can then tune out the annyoing comments and such. Hope it helps . Sorry your parents arn't listening to your fears.

Kfamr
08-13-2004, 10:57 AM
Nothing yet..... "It's moving our way" they say on the news.

Everyone and their mother is at my house. My cousin, his wife, his little baby, my brother, my grandparents, and me and my parents. The dogs too of course.

cloverfdx
08-13-2004, 11:00 AM
Prayers and positve thoughts on the way for everyone in the area. Stay safe and check in when you can.

Kay {{Hugs}}.

lbaker
08-13-2004, 11:10 AM
Have you boarded up windows & such? Have you an inside room away from windows if they are not already boarded up? When Isabelle hit us last year and huge trees started falling, at least I/we (with dogs & cats of course) had a large basement to camp out in. :( :(

Kfamr
08-13-2004, 11:45 AM
Yes, we boarded the windows.

We just got done eating grilled cheese sandwhiches and cut up fruits for lunch. We have food and drinks waiting in the hall way. That's where we'll all go. I have the dogs leashes ready , they'll stay right by my side.

lbaker
08-13-2004, 11:54 AM
It sounds like you've done all you can. This may sound silly but it always works for my dogs when they and I are stressed. I can't sing my way out of a paper bag but they don't mind if I quietly sing one of their silly songs to them. Even better, I will read to them out of a book. Just the sound of your voice will calm them - and you when you look into their trusting eyes. Silly I know, but it works for me :rolleyes:

dukedogsmom
08-13-2004, 12:06 PM
Ok everyone. It's starting to get bad here now. I just got done unloading the 15 sandbags. We had to do our own and I'm pooped! Mom and I just got them by the sliding glass doors and the rain has started. I hate this! I hate normal storms and these really make me nervous. Going to turn off computer now until this passes hopefully later tonight. Thanks for all your well wishes.

countrycowgirl
08-13-2004, 12:09 PM
OMG! Kay I am so sorry I haven't cought this before ...... I know that you must be so scared I would be I will be praying for you and your family and please let me know if there is anything that I can do I know I prob. can't do much being way down here in texas but if there is anything let me know......

catnapper
08-13-2004, 12:09 PM
My SIL called this morning. She had to be evacuated and her house is one of the ones they say will be underwater by the time she returns. She took the dog and cat and ran.

lbaker
08-13-2004, 12:13 PM
:( :( :( :( Candles in our windows everyone.... hurry! PTPrayers - get flying! Now I have tears in MY eyes....

momoffuzzyfaces
08-13-2004, 12:17 PM
Prayers flying from me for all of you and your pets and families in this hurricane's path. :(

Kfamr
08-13-2004, 12:23 PM
Here comes the rain!

slleipnir
08-13-2004, 12:23 PM
:(

-still thinking about you guys in florida-

gini
08-13-2004, 12:24 PM
And my prayers and my tears join yours.

Please God, take care of our dear Pet Talkers and their pets and families. May they get through this unharmed.

Kfamr
08-13-2004, 12:25 PM
Val.. you guys stay safe. I'll be thinking of you all. Hug Duke for me.

cloverfdx
08-13-2004, 12:29 PM
:( Prayer mode has gone into overdrive. Stay safe. :*(

momoffuzzyfaces
08-13-2004, 12:42 PM
Just heard, Charlie is now a cat 4 hurricane.
Prayers are still flying for all of you!:(

Kfamr
08-13-2004, 12:43 PM
Yeah... And supposedly he may be turning towards Valerie! :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( But... we never know until he hits land.

pitc9
08-13-2004, 12:46 PM
..... I'm watching the news thinking about you both Val and Kay!

countrycowgirl
08-13-2004, 12:47 PM
I am praying that everyone in florida stays safe!

slick
08-13-2004, 12:50 PM
OMG I can't imagine how frightening this must be for the the Florida people. I'm praying so hard right now that no hoomans or pets are injured.

Toller 42
08-13-2004, 12:54 PM
Kay, I hope you'll be okay! It sounds like you did everything you can. We'll be thinking of you.

molucass
08-13-2004, 12:55 PM
I'll be thinking and praying for all of you in Florida!

*HUGS to you and your pups, and your family*

chrissycat21
08-13-2004, 01:01 PM
All you Florida people are in my prayers! I've never been in a hurricane, there are none in Chicago! (Thankfully!) I have been through and earthquake and a tornado, though. I get freaked out in little storms after we learned about tornados and such in class.

Best of wishes to all of you! Hope you and your fur babies are safe!

-Chrissy

CamCamPup33
08-13-2004, 01:22 PM
Their saying the eye of the storm is moving toward's fort myers. And here we will get the 'Tail' of the storm. It should be here in two hours from now. (It's 2:22) It's extremely windy outside, no rain or thunder yet.

Stay safe Kay and Val.

lizzielou742
08-13-2004, 01:23 PM
Looks like it's gaining strength...

Scary!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

http://www.weather.com/newscenter/tropical/

Charley, a very dangerous category-4 hurricane
1:31 P.M. ET Fri., Aug.13, 2004

M. Ressler, Senior Meteorologist, The Weather Channel

After hitting western Cuba with wind gusts up to 124 mph and brushing by to the west of Key West with gusts nearing 60 mph at the airport, extremely dangerous Hurricane Charley, now a major category-4 storm, takes aim on the Gulf side of the Florida Peninsula. Charley could come ashore between Tampa and Fort Myers at any time between mid-afternoon and early evening. Destructive winds, high storm surge and torrential rains will all contribute to extreme tree, power line and structural damage along with widespread flooding over the western side of the peninsula especially along the northeast quadrant of its track. Most of the Florida Peninsula is already soggy with August rainfall over the first 12 days 1 to 8 inches above average. Charley will head inland toward coastal Georgia overnight, gradually weakening. Charley will still produce damaging hurricane-force winds and torrential flooding rain across northeast Florida and southeast Georgia. Over the weekend, a weakening Charley will cause flooding up the East Coast as it rapidly zips northward. East of its track, the threat for tornadoes will be high. In the central and eastern Atlantic, two tropical disturbances have potential for development as the 2004 hurricane season moves into high gear. In fact, the one just to the south-southeast of the Cape Verde Islands has become Tropical Depression Four and will head west to west-northwest across the open Atlantic, slowly but steadily increasing.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-13-2004, 02:49 PM
Last time Kay posted was 1:49 pm central time, so that's about an hour ago now. I checked the NOAA site and here are two pics of the storm. I couldn't quite figure out what time they were taken, but they said they were the latest. I marked Tampa and the eye of the storm. The colored one is quite dramatic.

Kay, hope you're safe!!! And the rest of you Floridians too!!!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid134/p977e0ef0aef73c9a0a70bc97fcbc40b3/f770c287.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid134/p758f69bbe19fd64ca37158f5cc615828/f770c286.jpg

sandragonfly
08-13-2004, 02:54 PM
*sigh* it took me a few days to think what to say... I just couldn't repeat what other people have said, *be safe* *prayers* etc.

really, keep this in your mind, everything happens for a reason and I don't think God'd want you yet!! dogs need you! so far what I've seen you been doing, you WILL survive, I promise.

*hugs each of you* --a calm californian :)

ps; needless to say this, I would love to experience this! :o :rolleyes: *tv is on, go go go kmfar!*

Kfamr
08-13-2004, 03:04 PM
We're fine here! We've basically only had a tiny bit of rain and a bit of wind. Just hanging around, eating snacks, and watching the news!

Doggirl
08-13-2004, 03:08 PM
Hope you're alright, please try to stay calm it'll help. I don't really know what else to say. I just hope everybody'll be alright. Will be thinking of you guys.

{{{{{HUGS}}}}}
{{{{{PRAYERS}}}}}

anna_66
08-13-2004, 03:08 PM
I juest heard that is was coming inland now and was so worried. I just had to check and make sure you were alright before I go back to work. Glad things are alright there! Hope it stays that way.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
08-13-2004, 04:22 PM
I would be panicking just as much as you, Kay. I know you are being careful and safe... I can only wish MORE safety upon you and your family. I have my fingers crossed, Abby's got her paws crossed, and Charlie's even crossing her toes... PLEASE BE SAFE!

Kfamr
08-13-2004, 04:58 PM
We're fine here still... We have the grill ready for dinner.

I'm worried about Valerie though.. it's closer to her.
We only have a bit of wind no rain at the moment.

chocolatepuppy
08-13-2004, 05:19 PM
Great to hear from you Kay, have been thinking of you!

dukedogsmom
08-13-2004, 05:20 PM
Hey all. I decided to turn on computer for a bit. We've had rain and winds, on and off. The wind is picking up quite a bit now. I get kind of scared because our house is completely surrounded by huge pine trees and others. We've bascially got a house dropped in the woods. So everyone please pray that none fall on the house. I get so nervous about that happening. I just got done chopping up the okra to fry and we're also having mashed potatoes and sauted mushrooms. I have a splitting headache from not having my normal caffine fixes every day so just had some coffee. I hope this mess is gone by early morning because I have to work tomorrow :( It's going to be horribly busy, I'm afraid. I'll be so glad when it's gone.

Cincy'sMom
08-13-2004, 05:22 PM
I haven't talked to my sister (Dakota'smommy) recenty, but Brian's dad lives in Naples. I think the storm should be north of them, but it wouldn't hurt to send a few postive thoughts there direction too.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
08-13-2004, 05:25 PM
I think it's crazy that people have to WORK in these types of storms. I wouldn't go to work and leave my babies home alone even if you paid me.

Best wishes for you, Val. There was a large pine tree right next to our house a few years back, and it always scared me during storms. Luckily, we cut it down. :) Be safe, and give good ole Duke a kiss for me.

BitsyNaceyDog
08-13-2004, 05:28 PM
Our area had a mandatory evacuation for manufactured homes, which is us. :( We loaded up the dogs, cats, birds, and rodents and took them to my work. We don't have facilities for the reptiles, so we had to leave them behind. After they were all settled in at the Inn (my work), Justin and I went to his parents house, which is where we are now. I've been crying so much. I can't handle the stress of being seperated from my babies, but Justin made me leave. I was only able to bring Buster to his parents house. I'm scared.:(

dukedogsmom
08-13-2004, 05:28 PM
Well, ya know, I'm actually considered emergency personnell so I really can't complain. I just hope the winds have died down by morning time. I hate driving in that. A few years ago we had a bad storm and we thought we might be stuck at work. They brought over jail food for us to eat. It was horrible! I'll never eat that stuff again. Of course, I'm glad it was horrible because who wants inmates having gourmet food :p

Kfamr
08-13-2004, 05:29 PM
Whew! I'm so glad to hear from you Val. I was just about to get on here for your Cell # and call you.

Kari please stay safe and i'll be thinking of you all.

I'm very happy it didn't hit us hard but now i'm even more worried about our friends!

dukedogsmom
08-13-2004, 05:37 PM
Duke is barking at the wind :) It's getting really bad here now. I probably won't sleep worth crap tonight. Ugh. I don't want to go to work tomorrow!!

chocolatepuppy
08-13-2004, 05:40 PM
So glad to hear from all three of you! You will still be in my thoughts and prayers. Been watching the WC to keep track of the storm. My two aunts and one uncle live on the west coast, will see if my mom heard anything, will see her tonight.Today is my Dad's birthday Friday the 13th. I'm sure this is a Friday the 13th none of you in FL will ever forget!:eek:

leslie
08-13-2004, 05:57 PM
I don't know how you can go to work when you have trees laying all over your property. I want to know what town you all live in, or what counties you are in because I see these bullitins all day but don't have a clue as to where you all are in relation to the hurricane! I talked to Jan about it and so there are 2 of us wondering where you are! We have had hurricanes up here in MA. We live on the shore area so know how bad- but not as bad as FL- it can get!

Kfamr
08-13-2004, 07:15 PM
I'm in Pinellas. :)

We're just eating dessert now. My brother, Cusin, his wife, and baby all to home.

I'm really worried about Val now. It said hurricane-strength winds in Winter Haven and I believe that's where she is.

And Kari too. :(

You guys.. stay safe and check in ASAP and as much as possible!

slleipnir
08-13-2004, 07:36 PM
I don't know where that is, but I'm glad you're safe! I hope Val and anyone else around there are ok too!

Toller 42
08-13-2004, 07:40 PM
I'm glad your okay!:D I hope val will be okay too!

Corinna
08-13-2004, 07:47 PM
sorry about you 2 out there getting hit hard. Glad to hear that Kay is being missed some what. Prays still going out to you all there.

Kfamr
08-13-2004, 07:53 PM
According to my dad, it just went by St Cloud, where Kari (Kblaix) is.

Lets all think of her and Val.. I hope they're ok. Hopefully thins thing dies off enough not to go up in the Carolinas or anything.

Kfamr
08-13-2004, 08:57 PM
Talking to Val on AIM.. She's ok thank gosh!

Logan
08-13-2004, 09:20 PM
I feel better now. I'm glad I checked in one more time tonight. Glad you're ok, KayAnn, and Val too.

Logan

Kfamr
08-13-2004, 09:24 PM
Now lets just think about Kari! :(

anna_66
08-13-2004, 09:32 PM
Kay & Val I'm glad your all alright. I hope Kari is too.

slick
08-13-2004, 09:37 PM
I'm so glad you guys are alright. Thanks for checking in.

Kfamr
08-13-2004, 10:28 PM
Libby, you out there anywhere??

dappledoxie
08-13-2004, 10:39 PM
Thank goodness you guys are ok, still thinking of Kari though! Hugs you guys!

Kfamr
08-13-2004, 10:53 PM
Oh no.. They just said on thew news that Charley is re-entering the Alantic and could possible be a threat to the Carolinas around next week. :( :(

slleipnir
08-13-2004, 11:06 PM
Glad Val is ok too!

Logan
08-13-2004, 11:21 PM
Two counties on the SC coast have been evacuated on the ocean side of US Hwy 17. (Horry and Georgetown Counties....this is the Myrtle Beach area) But Kay, it's tomorrow, around midday, not next week that it is expected to hit. The good news is that right now, it is a Catagory 1 storm, so it has lost a lot of it's strength. We just have to hope it doesn't get it back while it's over the ocean again.

Kari and our other Florida friends are still in my thoughts and prayers.

Goodnight, everyone.

Logan

Kfamr
08-13-2004, 11:26 PM
In next week I meant monday. That's what the news said. They said possibly it'll become a cat.2 storm.. definitely won't be anything Florida recieved.

From the looks of it, you're pretty west though, aren't you?

cloverfdx
08-14-2004, 03:10 AM
Great to hear from you Kay :), it is good news that Val and family are OK. :) Kari and all other Floridians will be in my thoughts and prayers tonight.

ChrisH
08-14-2004, 03:31 AM
Oh, Kay, I am so glad to hear you and Val are ok. :)

Keeping the prayers going for Kari, Libby, Amber, and all our other friends who are in Charleys pathway.

equinelover23
08-14-2004, 07:40 AM
My grandma is in jacksonville, luckily it wasn't bad there. We were able to call her. My aunt and three cousins are on vacation in disney land, and my other aunt in uncle are on vacation in south carolina. I hope everyone is alright... stay safe!

Kfamr
08-14-2004, 11:19 AM
I just heard on the new that is touched down in SC. :(

I'm just looking at all of the damage in Charley's path....
The trailers, the homes, the hospitals...everything destroyed... And that could have been us. So far they've found 15 deaths, but that number is sure to climb. :(

My friend made this.... it made me giggle.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/yay72/CHAR.gif

slleipnir
08-14-2004, 11:35 AM
:( That's horrible that so many died :(:( I'm really glad stuff like that doesn't happen here. It would be so scary.

(btw, the thing your friend made is funny lol)

Samantha Puppy
08-14-2004, 11:49 AM
Anyone heard of what happened to Sanibel Island? All I'm getting up here is a blurb on MSNBC's ticker saying it sustained significant damage. It's where I went on my honeymoon just two months ago and it was such a beautiful place... I would love to get some updated info/photos whatever, if anyone down that way knows where I could find some (of Charley's damage). Thanks... :(

I'm glad to hear our PT Floridians made it through safely. You all were in my thoughts and prayers yesterday and last night.

Kfamr
08-14-2004, 12:30 PM
www.channel10.com is our local news station qhich i've been watching.

Pam
08-14-2004, 12:39 PM
My brother-in-law lives alone in Key West. He wrote that the brunt of the storm missed him by 85 miles. This is what his beach looked like this morning. Quite a mess with seaweed but certainly pales in comparison to the areas that were hit with real damage.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/Belrip/Charleykeys2.jpg

CamCamPup33
08-14-2004, 12:42 PM
Everything is fine here. Hurricane charley fortunately only gave us some gusty winds while passing. I'll include a video to show you, it was really windy! I'm glad we weren't in the *STORM* itself. We only really got the 'Tail' of the storm.

This is how windy it was..

BitsyNaceyDog
08-14-2004, 01:02 PM
We got hit pretty hard. Trees are down everywhere. We stayed at Justin's parents house, which is where I an now. My house has no power, phone, or water. It is absolutly unreal and the single most scarry thing I have ever been through.

All my babies are fine!!!

My house is fine, just lots and lots of branches everywhere. My favorite tree is coming out of the ground though. It's such a mess, but I'm just glad the house is fine.

Justin's parents house is fine, The power just came back on a short while ago. Their neighborhood is a mess. A tree fell on a car across the street. There is a large palm tree laying across the road.

My parents got hit bad, but everyone is alright. The oak tree in their front yard is mostly down and what a mess that is. Their fence is down. The screen and the frame over their pool is completly distroyed.

The worst was one of my friends lost her home. She lives in a moble home and the roof was completly blown off of her house. Her home is completly distroyed. Luckly she wasn't there.

My church also took a bad hit, no church tomorrow.

My town is a wreck. No traffic lights anywhere. Power lines are down everywhere you look. Road signs are down. Everything is an absolute mess.

I'll post pictures when I can get on my computer at home, it might be a couple days, I don't know.

We were truely blessed, No one was hurt. It could have been a lot worse than it was.

It's nap time now, I've only had 6 hours sleep in the past 2 days.

Thank you all for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers. Please continue to pray for those who lost their homes.

I'm glad that Kay and Valorie are okay. Libby please let us know how you made out.

CamCamPup33
08-14-2004, 01:08 PM
Kari-

Glad to hear from you, and hear all is well.. Glad your okay!

anna_66
08-14-2004, 02:27 PM
Glad to hear everyone is safe and doing fine:)

ChrisH
08-14-2004, 02:29 PM
Kay, Amber, Kari, thank God you're all safe!

There are reports from some people affected by the storm on here
BBC news online (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/3563136.stm)
This is one of them.
Sebring has been laid wasted. I work on the police force. We are guessing over 50,000 homes are no more in the Sebring area alone. Reports from law enforcement in the Fort Myers metro area indicate widespread destruction. I'm guessing $70 to $80 billion in damage. Probably over 400,000 people will be homeless. This was huge!
Chris McClure, Sebring, Florida, USA

And this is in a report on another page http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3565052.stm

Ten people were confirmed dead in Charlotte County, north of Fort Myers, officials told the Associated Press. Five people were killed elsewhere in Florida.

Punta Gorda, a town of some 15,000, took the full force of the
storm, with few buildings left untouched.

Chris

Sara luvs her Tinky
08-14-2004, 03:37 PM
Glad everyone is o.k.

We were at Hilton Head island over the weekend and I was so worried about our Florida Pet Talkers...

What a terrible storm.. :(

trayi52
08-14-2004, 04:48 PM
Glad to hear that out PT friends are safe, I just hate to hear there was such a loss to life elsewhere over the state. My heart and my prayers goes out to all.

Willie

Kfamr
08-14-2004, 05:54 PM
Whew. I'm so glad you're okay Kari! I was very worried about you. Now where's Libby? :(

Wow.. I'm just so thankful it didn't hit us directly... I could only imagine...

BitsyNaceyDog
08-14-2004, 08:50 PM
Well, I'm still at my in-laws house and probably will have to stay here for at least a couple days. Officials said it could be up to a week before we have power. Without power we have no water and of corse no a/c. Our phone is also still out and our cell phones aren't working either.

Kfamr
08-14-2004, 08:56 PM
Are your furkids still at home?

dukedogsmom
08-14-2004, 09:03 PM
Good to hear from you, Kari. We were very fortunate as to not have anything serious. I'm sorry it wasn't the same for you. I hope you and all your critters get together again soon.

leslie
08-14-2004, 09:03 PM
does anyone know if there are pet rescue groups down there?such as EARS ;emergancy animal rescue service (EARS) put togeth by Teri Crisp?

Kfamr
08-14-2004, 09:05 PM
The only rescue i've heard of down here is SAFE, but i'm sure there are others. Why?