PDA

View Full Version : Bo is having radioiodine done Aug 18th

boscibo
08-11-2004, 09:39 AM
My Bo was diagnosed hyperthyroid in early July. The pills have been causing him to vomit and lose hair on his face, and he continues to lose weight, so we decided to have the radioiodine done. It is a very safe procedure. The doctor will give him a sugar capsule with the radioactive iodine in it, and the iodine will target only the benign tumor on his thyroid. Healthy tissue will not get touched. He will not get sick, he will not have to be put under, and it is proven 100% effective in the majority of cats treated. This will completly cure his hyperthyroidism. it is an expensive procedure, but I'm willing to go into debt for it.

The bad part is, he will need to stay at the facility for 9 to 11 days until all the radioactivity has left his body. I don't know how many of you read the dog side, but I had to have my beloved dog Bandit put down last week. He had diabetes and was impossible to regulate, then he went into kidney failure. He was not eating anything, and getting very skinny. I had to let him go, and it has been unbelievably painful.

Having Bo gone for so long after losing Bandit will be so hard for me. Bo sleeps with me on my pillow every night, and I know he will be lost and confused at the facility.

So if you can spare some good thoughts for Bo (and maybe for me), I'd really appreciate it. I'm going to miss him so much. It sounds like a nice place, but it isn't home.

slick
08-11-2004, 09:43 AM
Sounds like this will be for the best. I know it's hard when your babies have to stay away so long and after you've lost Bandit. Positive thoughts and prayers coming your way.

CatMama78
08-11-2004, 09:44 AM
I'm so sorry for the loss of your Bandit.

And while I'm glad Bo is going to be better soon (sounds like a great procedure), I know it will be a somewhat lonely time for oyu. Prayers for you, Bo and RB Bandit. Soon Bo will be home with you and best of all - he'll be all better!

catlover4ever
08-11-2004, 09:45 AM
First let me say I am so sorry about Bandit. Loosing our beloved "furkids" is difficult. :( I know as having been there before, that we all heal in our own ways and in our own time.

Now as for Bo....positive thoughts and prayers are being sent to you and Bo. I had a thought to make Bo feel a little better while he is at the vet's...maybe you could ask your vet if it would be OK for Bo to have a favorite blanket/kitty bed or a toy with him while he is there....or maybe a blanket with your scent on it to make him feel better. Ask your vet if they allow visiting Bo, my vet allows this if you make arrangements in advance.

Please keep us posted on Bo. I will be thinking of the both of you.

K & L
08-11-2004, 10:22 AM
Oh no! I wish the best for all of you! Please update!

Logan
08-11-2004, 11:01 AM
You and Bo will be in my prayers. You have been through too much in recent weeks. :(

Keep us posted and we'll keep up our positive thoughts and prayers for both of you!!!!

DJFyrewolf36
08-11-2004, 04:20 PM
Positive thoughts your way for Bo! It sounds like a great procedure and hopefully they will allow visits, and if not at least something familiar he can take with him!

AmberLee
08-11-2004, 04:32 PM
{{{Bo, and you, both}}}

My dad had something similar to the radioiodine done ... oh, it must be 10 years ago now. It's quite effective. And easier to explain to a human. ;) :p Hoping you both get through this quickly.

Warm regards.

boscibo
08-11-2004, 07:45 PM
Thanks everyone. :)

Unfortunately, due to the radioactivity and regulations I won't be able to visit him - but as soon as his levels come down I'll be able to bring him home. Then I have to be careful with his litter - can't just throw it out, I'll need to get special litter and flush it. I am bringing his foods and both my SO and I will each donate a smelly t-shirt for his cage.

It's just so scary - not the actual procedure, but taking Bo over to the Cities (Minneapolis) and leaving him in a strange place, with a strange vet - but he comes highly recommended from my vets. I tend to sulk when my animals need to spend the night, I don't know how I'll deal with 9 to 11 days. :(

But in the long run it wil be for the best. I'm just glad I have a place to talk about this - most people I know think I'm slightly crazy to spend $1000+ (that I don't really have) on a cat that is already 14 years old...for a condition that can be treated with pills. Bo just can't handle the pills' side effects.

One more week til I drop him off....

catmandu
08-12-2004, 09:28 AM
You know that Prayers,are Coming for our Friend BO,from all the Found Cats,and we hope that Bo,is well,soon!

kimlovescats
08-12-2004, 09:30 AM
Oh NO! (hugs) for the loss of your longtime friend, Bandit!:(

So sorry that Bo has been having such a bad time of it too ... but this new procedure sounds just wonderful. I pray that it all goes well for him, and that your healing can begin!;)

(((HUGS)))
Kim;)

sirrahbed
08-12-2004, 09:35 AM
:( I am so sorry to hear you lost Bandit...but glad that Bo can be helped. I had the very same thing done for MY hyperthyroidism and agree that the treatment medication was just too nasty! The radioactive iodine took care of it. I know you will miss Bo very much though...hope the time passes fairly quickly for you and the two of you have a happy reunion. Blessings to you!!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-12-2004, 09:48 AM
Good luck Bo! :)