PDA

View Full Version : My son vs. the dentist

Katiesmom
08-11-2004, 12:47 AM
I took my son to the dentist today hoping this time he would let them clean his teeth and even put a flouride treatment on them but oh no it took everything we had to hold him on the table for her to just look in his mouth...The first time he went it took like five of us to hold him down...today it only took two so that was an improvement....I just hope he eventually lets her do something more than just look at his teeth next time....I didn't want to force christopher (my son) to lay there any longer for them to clean them in fear that it might scare him and then he would never want to go back...any advice on how to get him to relax:D

neko1
08-11-2004, 06:37 AM
I was absolutely terrified of the dentist when I was younger. Kicking, screaming, the whole nine yards. I remember them getting me drugged up in the waiting room so I would calm down for the exam.

But now I love my dentist and have no problems going. I feel so bad for what I put my mother through all those years!

I guess for me it was a fear that just passed with time. One thing that helped when I was in my teens was that I always brought my CD player with me with the loudest music I could get. So when they started on me, I would just close my eyes and turn up the volume and try to think of being somewhere else.

Pam
08-11-2004, 07:06 AM
I worked for a dentist for years and, when we would get a really frightened little one in, the dentist would refer the parents to a dentist who specializes in pediatric dentistry. You might ask your present dentist for a referral. I personally wouldn't like the "holding down" tactics. To me that would just make the child more fearful and start the little one down a path of dental phobia that is often very hard to get over.

Ally Cat's Mommy
08-11-2004, 07:25 AM
I really think it comes down to the dentist himself - his "bedside" manner. Not everyone is at ease or related easily to kiddies, and kids pick up on that.

I would chat with other moms in the area and maybe try a dentist who has a reputation for being good with kids.

My son's dentist used to let him ride the dentists chair, spray the water etc, and at the end of the visit blows up the exam glove into a balloon and draws a funny face on it, and gives the kid a small toy. He also had a TV in the ceiling playing cartoons, and would let them listen with headphones when he was drilling to drown out the noise. My son is still totally relaxed at the dentist, and has a positive attitude about visiting the dentist despite having EIGHT teeth out last month.

My dentist is so gentle that I have actually fallen asleep whilst he works on my mouth:eek: :eek:

catnapper
08-11-2004, 07:56 AM
My brother had the same problem and mom took him to a pediatric dentist and that really helped him a lot. They know what to do with scared kids and experienced in soothing them.

Tonya
08-11-2004, 08:19 AM
How old is your son? There are a few things we did to make my son Jaden comfortable. For one, I got my dental work done first while he watched and I pretended that I liked it. Also, I explained to him that he has to get it done because cavities are way more painful. I told him he can either take good care of his teeth, or spend twice as much time and pain on a cavity.

My dentist also told me that if it didn't work out, they have dentists that specialize on children. I think the dentist's attitude makes a big difference too.

Katiesmom
08-11-2004, 09:47 AM
My son is 3 and he goes to a pediatric dentist.....This is just the way he is I'm hoping he will grow out of it....I don't like the holding down tactic either but I lived at the dentist when I was little and it wasn't because I didn't take care of my teeth so I'm really wanting to take care of problems when they first exist...

Tonya
08-11-2004, 10:43 AM
The first time I took Jaden, he was 5. I felt sooo horrible and like such a bad mom because he had two cavities. :( He's got to go back next week to get fitted for a mouth guard, he grinds his teeth.

trayi52
08-11-2004, 11:07 AM
Wow, Crystal, it has been so long, I just don't remember! I know, my kids had the same problem with my grandchildren, and they even acted that way with the doctor! My two grandsons were always getting boo boos, and sometimes even having to have stiches, and we would just have to pile up on top of them and hold them down for that!

I wish I could help, I do know they have gotten better with age, so hopefully so will your son.

Willie:)

Tonya
08-11-2004, 11:11 AM
P.S. Good old fashioned bribery goes a long way too! I always chant "You'll get a chocolate sunday if your good! Keep thinking Chocolate Sunday!!!!" :D

Katiesmom
08-12-2004, 10:14 AM
Where my son goes to the dentist at there is a Thomas the Train set and he loves to play with it and he has like 4 sets of Thomas so I try to brive him with Thomas...hasn't worked yet tho:D but I'm not giving up:p

MariaM
08-12-2004, 12:22 PM
Hmm, I don't really know. I was 7 the first time I went to the dentist, so I suppose its different. I was never scared of him, I always just sat there. Sure, I hated going, and I have the annual appointment coming up soon, but I just like getting it over with:p