PDA

View Full Version : Reading Part Iv.

RICHARD
08-10-2004, 06:02 PM
What are your reading superstitions?

Who is the writer you'd like to meet the most?

Some writers auction off characters in their upcoming books
(a character is named after you for a donation to their charity)
Would you?
And how much would you pay?

What book could you read over and over again?

If you see a movie that was taken from a novel will you go back and read it?

Will you see a movie that is made from a book you have read???

How often does the movie meet your expectation?

What is your biggest peeve about the book publishing/book sellers world??

AmberLee
08-10-2004, 06:15 PM

Not sure I understand the question, but I do like to read series books in order...

I did meet Terry Pratchett of the Disc World series recently...

Would you?

It doesn't really interest me...

Oh boy, I'm an avid re-reader. I particularly enjoy The Bridge of Birds, The Tangled Web, the Harry Potter series, the Pern books.... for rereading

Yes

Yes, but I'm usually disappointed. The written world tends to be richer in concepts...

Almost always ;) I preferred the movies Enchanted April and 11 Harrowhouse to their movies...

Price markups, and the way they push authors to 'fit' into marketing grooves... (at least that's what authors I know say who are struggling to break into print. Some of them are VERY good, too.)

08-10-2004, 06:43 PM
Hi! thanks for your help. but to answer your questions.

If I could meet a writer I think it would be Wally Llamb only because I absolutly love his books. He is so good at what he does.

I don't really know how much I would pay! :)

I think the book I could read over and over again is the harry potter series, shes come undone, Thriller street and umm, the Willo tree.
all very good books.

RICHARD
08-10-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by AmberLee

Not sure I understand the question, but I do like to read series books in order...

LOL, sorry....

I will read a used book, BUT if it's one of my favorite authors I HAVE to have a brand new copy of that book.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

My peeve is seeing a movie and going to pick up a book the movie is based on.....You pick up book and the movie characters are on the cover...

:mad:

MariaM
08-10-2004, 07:34 PM
1. I don't have any reading superstitions:)
2. Probably J.K.Rowling or...Tolkien, but obviously thats not gonna happen!
3. Of course I would! I'd pay all the money I had! (Which would probably be about $20, think I could win??)
4. Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, The Secret of the Rats of NIMH (Book is waaaaaay better than movie)
5. Probably not. I figure the only way to go is read the book first. The book is always better (IMO) If I see a movie and know there is a book, I try to read if first.
6. Yes. Sometimes I am disappointed though.
8. My expectain is USUALLY low, so quite often. There are exceptions.
9. I think they are taking too many books and making them into movies. It just bugs me sometimes.

sirrahbed
08-10-2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD

If I know a movie is going to be made, I MUST read the book first!!

Patricia Cornwell

anything by James herriot!

if I have not already read it - ABSOLUTELY! I am driven:)

yes

I am usually disappointed more often than not because I picture characters differently and I hate when directors change things! I prefer books to movies anyway.

high prices....making movies out of books(don't usually like it)....putting good titles out in hardback at outrageous prices, then making me wait for the paperbacks:) (I prefer softback because I read in bed)

wolflady
08-10-2004, 08:10 PM
I also like to read "series" books in order

Probably J.K. Rowling. My aunt was lucky enough to get to meet her at a book signing in LA!

Would you?
I haven't heard of this! I think it would be too wierd. What if they made my character not likable? LOL

Definitely the Harry Potter series of books. I can also read those Chicken Soup books over and over again and I still cry!! :rolleyes:

Absolutely! Usually the books are better than their movie counterparts, so if I like the movie, I'm sure to like the book! Quick anecdote: when I saw that The Prince Bride movie was based off of a book, 1. I couldn't believe it and 2. I spent many years looking for the darn thing! I finally found it in a little mom and pop bookstore, of all places...and now I see it all the time! LOL

Most likely yes, even though I know that the books are always better than the movie. I was sceptical when I found out Harry Potter was going to be made into a movie, but they did a pretty good job on those! :D

They're usually just ok, but The Lord of the Rings movies blew me away!!! The Harry Potter movies are also pretty good! :D

What is your biggest peeve about the book publishing/book sellers world?? I have to agree with the waiting for the paperback thing. The only hardback books I own are Harry Potter, and that's because I just couldn't wait for the paperbacks to come out! :o

sirrahbed
08-10-2004, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by wolflady
I can also read those Chicken Soup books over and over again and I still cry!! :rolleyes:

I almost said the same thing! I am currently reading Chicken Soup for Grandparents and for Petlovers - I LOVE those books and can absolutely read them over and over and never run out of tears!!http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/sirrahbed/sad-smiley-046.gif

catnapper
08-10-2004, 08:24 PM
I have to approve the cover... I know, I know, don't judge a book by its cover! I have to like the cover!

I don't know who I'd like to meet. ??? I have no idea to be honest!

Would you?
I would LOVE to do that!!! Since I'm broke right now, I can only afford $5! LOL

Ok, I'm an exciting person, but I have and will continue to read and re-read the Encylcopedia of Needlework! I get so many inspirations from it! :D

No. The suspense it gone. I know how it'll end. The only thing that keeps me going while reading is my need to find out what happens.

I have. One time I read Dean Koontz's Funhouse. I HAD to rent the movie. The movie was SOOOO bad. REALLY bad. It was NOTHING like the book.

See above :p

What is your biggest peeve about the book publishing/book sellers world?? The cost! Its outrageous to charge $7 for a paperback that will only take a day to finish.

MariaM
08-10-2004, 08:59 PM
The cost! Its outrageous to charge $7 for a paperback that will only take a day to finish.
I completely agree! Which is why I usually borrow books or get them from the library, unless I plan on reading them 2+ times. (Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings)

Crikit
08-11-2004, 12:44 AM
I don't really have any.

either Banana Yoshimoto or Susan Conant.

Would you?
nope doesn't interest me at all.

probably "Fried Green Tomatoes at the whistle stop cafe." by Fannie Flagg.

it depends on how interested I was in it in the first place.

It depends on how much I liked the book, and also who is in the movie.

not very often. To often they remove parts from the books or adapt it so much that it just doesn't seem the same.

What is your biggest peeve about the book publishing/book sellers world?? hehe considering that I work in the booksellers world I could go on and on about this but I won't.

Just a little info though, it takes a book at least a year to come out in paperback after it's been published in hardcover. I say at least because it all depends on how well the book sells in hardcover. There are some books that do so well in hardcover that it can take over a year to be published. It also depends on the genre of book. Business, history, and Biography books tend not to be published in softcover why I don't know, it could be because the sales of the book aren't good enough to warrant a printing in softcover.

As for the price thing, I know the company that I work for can't do markups or really markdowns on books. Unless the book is on our bestsellers list you're stuck paying the cover price. The reason stores like Walmart and other places are able to sell books at such a discount is because they don't care about taking the loss on the product because they make their money selling other things. Where as bookstores don't get all that much of a discount on the books or really make much of a profit either.