PDA

View Full Version : Losing a Pet

treybabe
07-13-2000, 10:04 AM
Today is the anniversary (2 years) of the loss of our cat, Kip. We thought we would never get over that and that none other could take his place. No other can in our memory and affection. There was only one, but his mother who still lives and is our pet-friend and another new friend--Billy have helped fill the gap. Kip left us a legacy of love to share with our other wonderful feline companions and that is what we celebrate today.

Gio
07-13-2000, 11:03 AM
I know how it feels to lose a pet, one of my two cat died 3 years ago and I still miss her (I had a particularly soft spot for her). We had 18 wonderful years together. But equally I would not stay without a pet in the house. A few months after Titti passed away someone found this little kitty half dead in the street, they could not keep her because they already had 4 so I took her home. I also said that I did not want another black female cat, well a year later another young female joined my household (she was found after she was run over) and yes she is black. She reminds me a bit of Titti... They have not replaced her, they are very special in their own right, now I could not be without my 3 babies.

bettyinbc
07-15-2000, 10:34 PM
I appreciate both your sentiments and am so happy to hear that your new babies are helping you heal.

Our tabby died a year ago last week (age 16) and our Maine Coon died four years ago (age 11) - both succumbed to kidney disease. Although we got them a year apart, they were inseparable for 11 years.

When Roxy died, August was the saddest kitty I've ever known. He would cry at night, wander around calling to Roxy, lost weight and did not enter their favourite room for about 6 months. It was heart breaking, first of all to lose our precious little girl and then to watch this poor little guy's heart break day after day. We gave him all of our attention and coddled him. He did finally cheer up and appeared to be himself but became very needy.

We thought of getting another kitten but couldn't imagine "replacing" our little princess. When August died last year, the thought of getting another kitten was so painful because again, we were worried that we would only be looking for a replacement.

As times goes on, we still really miss our kids, but have recently begun talking about finding a couple of baby kittens (this is a good sign). I know there are so many unfortunate kitties without homes and someone to love them. I can only hope we are fortunate enough to be adopted by two as sweet and special as Roxy and August.

treybabe
07-16-2000, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Gio:
I know how it feels to lose a pet, one of my two cat died 3 years ago and I still miss her (I had a particularly soft spot for her). We had 18 wonderful years together. But equally I would not stay without a pet in the house. A few months after Titti passed away someone found this little kitty half dead in the street, they could not keep her because they already had 4 so I took her home. I also said that I did not want another black female cat, well a year later another young female joined my household (she was found after she was run over) and yes she is black. She reminds me a bit of Titti... They have not replaced her, they are very special in their own right, now I could not be without my 3 babies.
Gio--thanks for your post. Good to know someone really knows how it is. When Kip died I was given the nicest poem by a friend
about the loss of the kitty and will post it
soon. Treybabe

treybabe
07-16-2000, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by bettyinbc:
I appreciate both your sentiments and am so happy to hear that your new babies are helping you heal.

Our tabby died a year ago last week (age 16) and our Maine Coon died four years ago (age 11) - both succumbed to kidney disease. Although we got them a year apart, they were inseparable for 11 years.

When Roxy died, August was the saddest kitty I've ever known. He would cry at night, wander around calling to Roxy, lost weight and did not enter their favourite room for about 6 months. It was heart breaking, first of all to lose our precious little girl and then to watch this poor little guy's heart break day after day. We gave him all of our attention and coddled him. He did finally cheer up and appeared to be himself but became very needy.

We thought of getting another kitten but couldn't imagine "replacing" our little princess. When August died last year, the thought of getting another kitten was so painful because again, we were worried that we would only be looking for a replacement.

As times goes on, we still really miss our kids, but have recently begun talking about finding a couple of baby kittens (this is a good sign). I know there are so many unfortunate kitties without homes and someone to love them. I can only hope we are fortunate enough to be adopted by two as sweet and special as Roxy and August.
Thanks Betty. We have a Maine Coon Cat now who is a delight. As I posted to Gio above I appreciate there are cat lovers or should I say "cat whisperers" who really understand. I am going to post a poem soon about losing a cat which a friend gave me when we lost our little boy kitty. Treybabe

blue_heeler
07-31-2000, 08:13 PM
I know how it feels to lose a cat. My cat, Glacier, is very miserable where she is living now. We might have to give her away, which would be best. But we can't find her! She has run off into the woods at my grandparnts house. She is not used to wide open spaces. She isn't used to wild animals either. She's probably in a tree somwhere starving. But I have to think positive. My grandparent's distant neighbors are mennonites and they might have found her and are taking care of her. I sure hope so.