PDA

View Full Version : Ready to use the bathtub

catnapper
08-10-2004, 02:25 PM
Pouncer's been having litterbox problems lately - he kept missing the box when he went poop, and then getting sand EVERYWHERE when he was done. I thought it was the size of the box, so I bought a new (much larger) one. Well, he's able to get all the poop in the box (so the larger box fixed that) but he's now somehow managing to get half the sand on the bathroom floor! He used to get a lot of sand on the floor before, but he must work REALLY hard to get all that sand up and over the high sides of this new box! :eek: And he gets a lot of sand out!!!

Next move... filling the tub with sand. Lets see him fling sand over the sides of THAT! :D

Anyway, WHY is he getting sand everywhere? Did I put too much in? There's easily 5 times as much sand on the floor now than before! What is this silly boy trying to tell me?

Equus217
08-10-2004, 02:34 PM
Maybe you put too much litter in?
:eek:

To Vegas and Reno though the litter box is as much of a toy as it is a toilet....they LOVE to fling litter!!! (Could this be a Catalympic event??:rolleyes: )

The only way I solved it was by switching to a covered box, I can still hear them flinging away in there.....but nothing can escape over the edges anymore!!

Barbara
08-10-2004, 02:36 PM
Maybe he is practicing for some Olympic jumping competition? Just a guess:p

slick
08-10-2004, 02:45 PM
Max does the same thing when I put too much litter in. I was once told that only 1/2 " will do but I usually keep it to about an inch. Max loves digging a hole to China before depositing his "pee biscuits". :D

catlover4ever
08-10-2004, 03:02 PM
I think it should be a Catolympic event. Tigger does the same thing... I swear she is digging to China. She flings it out of the box as well....must be that I put too much litter in the box.

catnapper
08-10-2004, 03:09 PM
I was afraid it would be too much sand. Problem is living with two cats - Allen likes to have a lot of litter. I am currently down to one box right now because of flood damage to my basement - where the other two boxes are located. We have the basement locked up until we can get down there with all the de-molding and cleaning solutions. There is no place else that is "good" to put another box in the meantime. I guess Pouncer will dish out more and more sand until its low! :rolleyes: Thank goodness for Dustbuster vacs! The best $13 I ever spent! :D :D

Glad to see my boy's practicing yet another Olympic event! :D

Harmanie
08-10-2004, 03:10 PM
:D

Lucky for you I went through the same thing but only your cat was smart enough to use the cat box in the bathroom. My cat used to crap in the tub. she didn't even want to use the litter. try not to put two much litter in the box next time. trust me it works!lol
Kate

Tonya
08-10-2004, 03:30 PM
I have the Booda Dome Clean Step Litter Box. It's large and bulky, but it rocks! The lid keeps everything contained, the little stairs inside knock all the litter off of their paws. It works so well that I often forget to clean it because it never ever smells.

http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store.com/shop/shop_image/product/eac8858387a35f82b11320f7153010b4.jpg

RedHedd
08-10-2004, 03:54 PM
My Mitzi is in the running for the litter flinging olympics! AY YAY YAY! It's a regular beach! and it doesn't matter how much or how little litter I put in her covered box .... she manages to do her fling-thing. ARRGH!

Cinder & Smoke
08-10-2004, 05:23 PM
wow!

http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store.com/shop/shop_image/product/eac8858387a35f82b11320f7153010b4.jpg

Gud Grief! :rolleyes:

Is there a Light at the Top of the Steps?

And does the Attendant demand a Tip for a Towel?

wow! Hope da KAT doesn't see THIS thread! :p

Cinder & Smoke
08-10-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by catnapper

Next move... filling the tub with sand.
Lets see him fling sand over the sides of THAT! :D

Careful what you *wish* for!
He might *like* that tubby idea! :p

Boots, da Kat, was a CatOlympic Flinger, too! :eek:
AND, he'd Poop Over the Side, too :mad:
(He'd stand and balance with both Left Paws on the EDGE;
Rights in the sand;
50-50 chance of stuff going In/Out-side of da Box!)

"Fix" was a SUPER High-Side Sandy Box - almost a FOOT High! :cool:

At least NOW "most" of the stuff stays INside da box;
However ~ the Sand Toss at 3:00 AM gets a bit OLD...
The HiSide seems to :eek: AMPLIFY the sound of Flyin Sand!

:rolleyes: .

AmberLee
08-10-2004, 05:39 PM
I recently got a much cheaper version of the Buddha (sp?) box but we've given up on it already. Cas and Liv are intimidated by the swinging door :rolleyes: and the lid doesn't fit properly -- flung litter (oh, yeeeeaaaaah, we fling litter here) slides right out and on the floor. I'm discouraged and we've gone back to the tried and true already. :o :(

Tonya
08-11-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke
wow!

Gud Grief! :rolleyes:

Is there a Light at the Top of the Steps?

And does the Attendant demand a Tip for a Towel?

wow! Hope da KAT doesn't see THIS thread! :p

The cats have yet to tip me! The nerve!

No light, but it does have a charcoal filter.

aguu
08-13-2004, 10:56 AM
Catnapper - I saw this at Petsmart the other day. I though it was a pretty neat idea and I am think if picking it up mylsef.
Perhaps this could be a solution for you....

Clevercat Top Entry Litterbox
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/aguu14/litterl.jpg

"Cats adapt easily to the revolutionary design of this top-entry litterbox. Provides the privacy that cats require while reducing odors. Eliminates over the edge mess and built-in mat helps prevent litter tracking. Great for households with dogs! 20" L x 15" W x 15" D with 9" diameter opening. Use for up to 2 cats. One year warranty and 30-day money-back guarantee. Pan liner samples included."

catnapper
08-13-2004, 11:06 AM
It looks like a rubbermaid storage tub! :D I don;t know if Allen would use it - he never used the hooded box. Pouncer would think I'm providing a really cool new hidey hole! I'll have to do some research on it!

moosmom
08-13-2004, 11:09 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/aguu14/litterl.jpg

What a GREAT idea!!!!

leslie
08-15-2004, 10:59 PM
Re the top entrance box last shown- my co-worker tried it (multi-cats) and it failed. (Cats peed on the top of it).
She swears by the expensive http://www.pfprivy.com
I am going to spend the 160.00 to try it. It's just a well made cupboard with tracking that forces the cat to walk across it. I have a tiny apt. I walk and sleep on litter! Anything to limit this is a miracle! I have tried the plastic runners from the hardware stores and pet stores and they work, but scamp pees on them. He won't have the room to squat and pee on this one. My co-worker bought one at a cat show (friskies) 2 years ago and really liked the woman who makes them. Anyway, they are advertised in cat fancy magazine. Does anyone else know anything about them before I make the plunge?

shais_mom
08-15-2004, 11:51 PM
My litter box is similiar to the Booda one Tonya posted except mine doesn't have the stairs. ;)
Another thing you can do is get a large Rubbermaid container. One of the other cat sites, I go to occasionally, someone suggested this and it works great for them.

shais_mom
08-15-2004, 11:57 PM
similiar to this that I keep Keegan's food on, I have a smaller one for litter.

Ally Cat's Mommy
08-16-2004, 12:29 AM
I use the boxes with the "lip" that curves inward, which helps SLIGHTLY but I still have a beach in the utility room!! Ally uses hers for therapy - when she is cross she gets in there and flings sand around!:rolleyes:

catmandu
08-16-2004, 09:08 AM
Pouncer,and allen would definitley get some competition,in the Litter Tossing event,from Old Pros JJJ3,and Moose The Magnificent1 And I cant see Cats,using the Top Loader,and they will use the Booda Box,as a sleeping place!

christa
08-16-2004, 09:17 AM
I'd try using less litter. I know you say they like to dig to China, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they wouldn't use it if it had less litter. We switched Josie from a huge covered litter box that held 40 pounds of litter, down to a LitterMaid that holds 2 inches of litter. Big difference but once we put them together, she only used the LitterMaid. You might have to change the litter more often, but it might be worth not having it all over the floor.

catnapper
08-16-2004, 09:28 AM
Well, after a week of Competitive Litter Tossing, the litter is fairly low, and there is not too much on the bathroom floor. I now HAVE to scoop twice a day or Allen will tell me about it, but thats not too bad. My choice was pick up sand 5 times a day, or scoop twice a day. Easy choice! :)

I can't believe the variety in litter boxes!

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
08-16-2004, 10:53 AM
Aaah... I wish I had a cat again... the attitude! :D Glad to hear things have gotten back in order!