PDA

View Full Version : How Did You Get Your Dog?

chrissycat21
08-10-2004, 11:44 AM
I'm sure many of you have interesting stories of how your dog came into your family. Mine isn't too interesting, though....

Snowy was a gift for my birthday 3 1/2 years ago. I had no idea because my mom just the week before had said I would never get a dog while living under her roof! I opened up the card and it said "Please take me home soon!" and had a picture of Snowy. I have to say that was one of the happiest days of my life. I was screaming out of excitement SO much that the owner of the place where I had my birthday party almost kicked us out! lol

-Chrissy

BitsyNaceyDog
08-10-2004, 12:52 PM
Justin and I bought Bitsy 2 days before our wedding as a gift to one another.
When Bitsy was about 10 months old we decided we wanted a second dog, so we found a lady who was looking for a home for her daughters min-pin. Her daughter lived in texas and was getting a divorce and couldn't keep her dog, so she put him on a plane to her mom. She also didn't want the dog, as he was 2 years old and not at all house trained or neutered. Justin and I went to meet "Shortie" and fell in love with him the moment we saw him. When we got him home we changed his name to "Charlie". Three days after he came home with us he was neutered. We worked with him and got him on a schedule and before long he was house trained.

Just 3 months after we got Charlie, a lady I hardly knew wanted to give me Buster, one of her 4 chihuahuas. We felt we needed to take him to get him out of the home he was in. The 4 dogs had NEVER been outside before and the house was dark and filled with cigarette smoke. The dogs went potty on newspapers. The house was dirty and there was trash everywhere. I also found out that the woman's grandson who was in his 20's was abusive to the dogs. We wish that we could've gotten all 4 chihuahuas and found them good homes, but at least we got Buster. He now loves to go outside and bask in the sun.

We just got Nacey back, we had fostered her for a few weeks, about a month and a half ago. She is 9 months old and was passed around to 3 different homes before coming to me, because no one would take the time to work with her and train her. Well, now she is in her forever home and we love her very much.

pitc9
08-10-2004, 01:21 PM
Sierra was picked us as a stray by a dog warden when she was 5 months old. Was going to be PTS because she nipped at the dog warden.

Buddy was dumped off in the woods, it took the APL 2 weeks to catch him. He was only days away from being PTS when I found him. He was 1.

cali
08-10-2004, 01:33 PM
lets see Shadow was given to my dad by a naighbor who found her wandering the ally the rest of us were in kelowna for the summer, then one day my we got a letter in the mail with picture of little shadow sitting on top of her doghouse! I did not meet shadow till like 2 months later.

Happy, well I had wanted a puppy ever since I was little, I was told I could have one when I was older, when I was 13 I still remebered that promise and I decided I was old enugh lol so me and my mom started researching different breeds, my mom was set on me getting a silky terrier, but I prefer the bigger dogs lol later we started looking at border collies, after I found out about them looking in a book. we had also been looking at the shelter for dogs. we looked at several farms for a BC puppy, till my mom found out about Happys litter looked at the website and everyone fell in love with the pic of Happy at 7 weeks. oh I also almost adopted a german shorthaired pointer, but he was gone within the day. but when we went to see happys litter I fell in love of Happy and brought her home!(after some begging lol) :D

Perky, we adopted the same year as we got Happy, because both me and my mom were handling Happy in flyball, and my mom wanted her own flyball dog, so she started checking out the shelter till she found Perky fell in love with her, brought me and the other dogs later that day and brought her home in the same trip.

Ripley, well we had been looking for a companion for shadow since the others did not like her much lol, just a pet, not an athlete or anything right, well my mom saw him at the shelter, called my dad at work who ordered her to adopt that dg right NOW. lol so she did and whne I came home from school that day I had a little black dog I had never seen before run to greet me at the gate lol

Misty, after we retired Happy from flyball my mom TOLD me I needed another border collie lol. believe me that shocked me right there! so we started hunting, and found the ad for mistys litter at master feeds, so we called, aranged a time to see the pups, picked out Misty and reserved her, and went to pick her up the morning of christmas eve.

Blair, well my mom was looking for another dog but she NEVER planned on a pyrshep lol but Blair has some problems as a puppy and his breeder(also Happys breeder) asked if we wanted him, for free because she did not want to sell a sick pup, and she thought he would benifet from being fed RAW so we took him :p

Toller 42
08-10-2004, 01:35 PM
I got Jesse from a vacuum sales man when she was 2, she was also pregnant when we got her so thats how we ended up with Tia. The guy bred Jesse with a very well bred Dachshund and he was a very good looking dog but it wasn't the right match for Jess because Tia doesn't look really have a normal doxie appearance, thats okay though. We got Echo from the shelter when she was 6 weeks old, and we got Tango from my moms friend/chiropractor.

GoldenRetrLuver
08-10-2004, 01:42 PM
Both were from breeders.

We found Molly in the newspaper over three years ago, and drove around three plus hours to go see her. She was kept in a wire cage [kind of like a playpin] at the far end of the backyard with a doghouse inside. She was five months old when we got her, had an umbilical hernia, and was the last of the litter, so who knows what she could have gone through for all those months.

Daisy was also found in the newspaper over two years ago. She came to us when she was 11 weeks old, and was one of two Golden Retriever pups to choose from [her sister and her]. The puppies [he had Labs, younger Golden Retriever pups which he said were eight weeks old, and Daisy and her littermate sister], were kept in the patio of the backyard with a few "Igloo doghouses" to sleep in.

Getting both of them were one of the best decisions we've ever made. :)

MariaM
08-10-2004, 01:53 PM
Well, my dad farms and he was at the meeting and he overheard this person he sort of knew asking another person he knew if they wanted any puppies. My dad asked about it, and she said that 6 lab puppies and a father were dumped on the side of the road near her farm. On Good Friday, after mass, we went to go look at them. My mom picked up Major and really liked him (I don't regret getting Major at all, but at the time, I would have picked the odd furry one named Furball) So, then we went home. On Monday we picked him up, took him to the vet, and then brought him home:)

primabella
08-10-2004, 02:14 PM
I'll try and keep this as short as possible. The actual whole story is paragraphs long, lol. :o

I've wanted a dog for as long as I can remmeber and begged my parents to let me have one. Two years ago, they finally gave in so I began research on what breed would fit our lifestyle best. It doesn't make sense to me to buy a dog just because I like how it looks but make it suffer because we can not offer it all it needs. So I liked the Sheltie and looked for them in every shelter around us. After a summer of no luck, I came upon a breeder who was in the area and we made plans to reserve and pick up a pup. :)

Glacier
08-10-2004, 02:31 PM
Do you want the whole list? This could take awhile.....

My husband bought Muskwa from a breeder. He had Muskwa before we met. Contract had a breeding clause in it. Breeder wanted one litter sired by Muskwa. Our "stud fee" was Earle. I got to pick a puppy. Earle picked me. He started nursing on my fingers when I first met him. My bridge baby Hoodoo was also from that litter. Hoodoo was adopted and then neglected so we took him back.

Sleet was a gift from my mushing mentor. Sleet was about six when I got her. She wasn't happy living in a dog yard, but still wanted to pull. My friend recognized that Sleet wasn't happy and thought she would fit in a recreational team like mine. Sleet's my soulmate dog.

Kayleigh came from the shelter. I was in there one day for no apparent reason when this big, black dog jumped up on her kennel gate. She was way too big for that little room so I took her home. Turns out that there was a reason I was there--if the shelter had enough time to really get to know Kayleigh she likely would have been euthanized. She has/had some major issues, but she'd doing better now.

Bandit we basically stole from former neighbors. They tried to sell him to us. They were his third lousy home. When he ran away, he always came to our place. One time, we just didn't return him. A week or so later, his owner left a bag with his AKC papers, vet records and leashes on our door. We never heard from them again.

Preacher and Franklin were our first foster dogs and our first foster failures. They were a package deal, had to stay together. They had been in the shelter for a year. Franklin was so timid no one could catch him. Preacher was so depressed he stopped eating. Six months later, I was laying on the floor with Preacher and my husband walked by and said "why don't you just adopt him? No one will ever love that ugly old mutt like you do?" So first thing the next morning, I adopted both of them.

Goldie arrived shortly after Preacher and Franklin. She'd been in the shelter for two years and so depressed. She eventually became an adoption!

Raven and Heyoka arrived at the same time. My husband really wanted Heyoka, but he was highly adoptable. The shelter would have had no trouble placing him. Stuart thought we deserved "an easy one" for a change, but he felt really guilty about it. So to ease his mind, we took Raven too. Raven had been in the shelter for a year. She turned into a great sled dog so we adopted her too.

Delta and Antare arrived after a disasterous foster. Summit, the foster, tried to kill Kayleigh. She was highly dog aggressive and would escape just to beat up another dog. She did major damage to Kayleigh. I had no choice but to return her to the shelter. Of course they were full so I said I'd take a timid male. Delta and Antare were another package deal, so they both came.

Pingo was from a musher friend of mine. She wasn't abused, but he had dropped her to his B team. He's really serious, has run the Quest ect. Pingo wasn't getting enough exercise and a bored sled dog is a bad thing! She was one of his first dogs and he wanted her to go somewhere he knew she would be well loved. I don't think he expected her to be a house dog, but she really likes the couch!

Chase came from the shelter. Kira had just been adopted and we had an open foster spot. Again, good sled dog, so I kept him.

Pacer arrived after a long debate about which shelter dog to take. Deciding factor was that the volunteers would no longer take Pacer out for walks, runs on the weekends. So he came home. A couple weeks later, hubs brought home Founder.

You all know Hobo's story.

Chum arrived after the shelter considered putting him down--he's dominant and growly. He just needed to know he wasnt' the boss and that someone else would take care of him. Then someone claiming to be his owner showed up at the shelter. They were drunk, rude and abusive to the staff--clearly Chum had been treated the same way. I walked out the back door with him and he's never gone back.

Mac & Ozzy are more long term shelter residents that all seem to end up at our place.

I think that's everyone.

Amber
08-10-2004, 02:35 PM
When I was 6 years old me and my brother wanted a dog really bad. It was kinda late, and we were searching for a petstore. (yes, i know it's bad, but i didn't know about them at the time) We went to the 1st petstore, no puppies, the 2nd petstore no puppies, but a kitten was there. We were giving up hope, and it was pouring down rain, when we tried our last stop. Just our luck, Katie was there, and we got her. :) And I don't regret it at all.

I wanted a puppy ever since Brodie. (my old dog) I remember begging, and doing anything to get one. One night when we were at captain Ds we were talking about getting a puppy. My dads said we would wait till summer time to start looking. Well, not really. On Easter break, April 8, 2004 my parents brought me to a breeders house. Where there were schnauzers puppys in a pen. First one that caught my eye was Elvis. and thats how Elvis came.

Best decisions we have ever made! :D

EssTer
08-10-2004, 02:39 PM
what an intresting stories :)

Samantha Puppy
08-10-2004, 03:01 PM
My neighbor found Samantha and her puppy sister abandoned alongside a busy highway when they were 6 weeks old. She stopped to rescue them and brought them over my house to see if I knew anyone who was interested in a dog. I took one look and knew I had to have her.

stacwase
08-10-2004, 03:23 PM
We got Max at the shelter. I took him for a "test walk" and he saw an open truck door and pulled me off of my feet to get into that truck! I knew I had to have him.

We got the chihuahuas when my mother became too ill to care for them and I agreed to take them home and housebreak them. I made it clear I had no interest in keeping them. My husband, my kids and I all fell in love with them. It looks like we're keeping one or both of them.

We got Jake from a breeder. I wasn't conscious of the dog overpopulation problem at the time.

dappledoxie
08-10-2004, 04:29 PM
Ok well...

Rebel:
My dad went through a phase of breeding dachshunds (Only a few litters but still too many in my opinion) and the last litter one of his females had I wanted one of the black and tan. I picked out little Rebel and he was mine from then on! He's such a mommas boy. :D

Claire:
I've wanted a dapple dachshund since I knew they existed so once I got old enough and had a job. I saved up some money and contacted a few breeders. I found Claire's breeder and when I saw Claire I fell in love and knew I had to get her into a great loving home.

Niki:
My friend's mom was breeding Australian Shepherds and Boston Terriers. He asked me if I wanted one because they weren't finding homes for them so he said I could come pick out a puppy. I found out later after checking out aussie sites and talking to breeders that Niki's mom and dad were both merles. Luckily my vet checked her out and she is good and healthy. (I felt very angry at my friend's mom for doing her dogs that way, one of the pups was almost all white with blue eyes, I still wonder what happend to that pup) :(

LorraineO
08-10-2004, 04:39 PM
totally uninteresting answer here,,, Newspaper advertisment....private sale... she was a birthday gift for our son.

chocolatepuppy
08-10-2004, 04:42 PM
Lacey and Mandy both came from a shelter.

binka_nugget
08-10-2004, 04:48 PM
Kaedyn's story is really long. Long story short, he was from the shelter. He was found wandering. The owners never claimed him (he had a license on him). I saw him during my first day as a dog walker volunteer and just knew I had to take him home.

Kai came from a breeder roughly 4 hours away.

cocker_luva
08-10-2004, 04:49 PM
i got Jesse on Christmas of 1994! my parents got her from a breeder in Kentucky that shipped her here afew days before the 25th. my dad kept her at his contruction shop until the morning. (she loves it there; the people, machines, etc.) :rolleyes: which is good because loud noises dont freak her out. i was sooo happy to find her that morning! :D

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
08-10-2004, 04:57 PM
We got Abby from a breeder. My mom had an Airedale as a child, and she wanted another when we decided to get a dog. She was $700, and 2 and a half hours away, but it was well worth it!

Actually, she was in FLORIDA!! (Mind you, we are in Wisconsin... :eek: ) and we didn't know until we were almost ready to agree to take her... but we got SOOOOO lucky... The man who had her was vacationing in Kenosha, which is in Wisconsin, so we could get her.

And we decided to name her Abby, and we told the man, and he told us that it was her mother's name, too! So she's Abby the second... :D

dogs_4_me
08-10-2004, 05:28 PM
haha Are story is.... A year after the death of my first dog, we went to watch My Dog Skip in theaters, it was upsetting, you no..Skip was in the vet and he gets beat up, we went to a pet store after to pick up some fish food, and looked at the dogs, you know how they circulate humane society dogs from pet store to pet store, well we saw the special one! He had been at the humane society for over 2 months, wouldnt want anything to happen to the pup! I guess i do believe in love at first sight, because i was never planning to get another dog anytime soon....hehe till I saw Moko!:) ;)

and when getting Emma, we were at a pet show and the breeder was there, we saw here dad and mom, haha soon after we got our first golden;);)

Buddy Blaze Lover
08-10-2004, 06:54 PM
Well, I got Blaze (border collie) from a breeder a week after my previous border collie died about 2 1/2 years ago. He was 7 weeks old at the time, and has filled up that sadness that Bandit left behind when he passed away! I couldn't ask for a better dog!

Kfamr
08-10-2004, 07:19 PM
I got all three of mine from the shelter...and wouldn't have any other way.

Simba came from the St Petersburg SPCA (www.spcaofpinellas.org)

Kiara and Nala came fom the Humane Society of North Pinellas (www.humanesocietyofpinellas.org/)

veegan
08-10-2004, 07:26 PM
I had wanted a dog all my life, and actually we had had a Boxer for about 8 months several years ago but things didnt work out.. (long story *bitter*). but right before Christmas of last year my friend's oldest sister was looking for a new home for their 5 month old St Bernard/Spaniel mix and I asked my parents if I could take her. She was the sweetest dog, and she had already been trained fairly extensively, but they didnt want a dog, especially not a big dog. But.. it got them thinking, and they eventually said I could get a dog.

At first I was just thinking of getting a mix. Then I considered a few breeds. Seriously considered Pit Bull, Border Collie, but then finally settled on Aussie or an Aussie mix. It took a lot of persuading to get my parents to agree to an aussie, but once they met Brock we all knew he was the one.

I adopted him from Aussie Rescue & Placement Helpline, Northwest (http://aussierescuenw.org) on Jan 26th this year. He had been in a foster home for a month before I adopted him, and previously had been found as a stray and brought to a shelter before being transferred into rescue.

Cookiebaker
08-10-2004, 07:28 PM
We got Malone from an ad in the newspaper; and Emerson's breeder gave him to us because he wouldn't make a good show dog. :rolleyes:

Corinna
08-10-2004, 07:38 PM
I looked for Merlin for 4 years. I finally found a breeder that was MORE than I had been looking for. (I had raised and shown springers all my life . Dad raised hunting dogs)
Lady (newfy) came to us via my daughter she was working at the dollar store . She had a customer (70yr old lady) asking about her children , Clarissa just said I have furry kids . Then the lady started talking about this newfy she had and needed to find it a home. As her grandkids had moved in and brought their dog (he was used to the 2,4,6 yr old)
Lady wasn't a good kids dog too hyper,kept knocking them down. So daughter got her # and we called and well 2 years later shes still a nut and bouncy.

wolfie
08-10-2004, 10:14 PM
How exciting chrissycat21! I bet that was the best birthday ever. :D

We got Cocoa when we bought a house and could finally own a dog. My mom's a teacher, and asked her students if they knew of any dogs for adoption, and we found Cooca. She was 2 1/2 and her old owners didn't want her anymore for some reason.

Daphne we got from the pound when she was 6 months old. I'm so glad we found her - she was supposed to be put to sleep that day!

anna_66
08-10-2004, 10:53 PM
Mark worked with a lady who had a rottie and she had just studded out her male. We went to check out the puppies and what a disgusting place that was. They definately were back yard breeders (but we didn't know about them at the time). We decided to take one of the puppies & Mark definately wanted a male and Angus was the best looking one of the litter. Of course they wanted $100 more for him but Mark didn't care so we took him home and he's been with us ever since:)

Roxey we got from a pet store (yes, a pet store. Didn't know about puppy mills at the time). We had just lost our RB Keisha and just happened to be at the mall so we decided to check out the puppies so of course we did and after much debate we decided to bring her home. I've never regreted our decision, she is a wonderful dog!

And Huney well, she has a different story.
When we were thinking about getting another dog because Angus was so depressed after loosing Keisha we wanted a chow but were unable to find any. So when a co-worker called me and told me there was a chow pup dumped at her brothers house my neice and I went to check it out. Of course my intentions were to find this pup a home, but she turned out to be such an awesome dog we decided to keep her. She was the chow we had been looking for a year prior:D

wolf_Q
08-11-2004, 12:05 AM
A guy my dad worked with mentioned that he had bred his schnauzer and they had one pup left they couldn't find a home for. I remember my parents talked about it with us kids, but never really said we could get the dog. Then one day my dad had me go with him (didn't tell me where we were going) and we ended up bringing Reggie home. He was an older pup (can't remember the exact age, it was so long ago) and he was free.

With Nebo, I had been wanting a siberian husky all of my life. That was (and still is) my dream breed of dog. My parents finally agreed to let me get a dog. Yes, I *had* to have that breed of dog. I wanted a puppy as well because we Reggie and Smokey were older and don't really like other dogs...I don't think introducing a large adult dog into their territory would have went over well. Anyhoo, I was REALLY excited about getting a siberian husky puppy and so I'll admit I didn't take much time looking. I wanted a black and white female. We looked at 3 litters. The last litter we looked at had two red males left. I don't know what it was about them but I just fell in love. I called the breeder the next day and told her I wanted one...the smaller, darker one with the cute markings on his belly. And that would be the Bebo Brat Boy....

Just for the fun of it I'll add Sydney lol. She's my sisters dog (from a breeder). My sister doesn't want to take care of her so she's been living at our house since the beginning of the year. I don't know if my parents will end up keeping her, she'll go back with my sister, or what. :rolleyes:

jazzcat
08-11-2004, 12:21 AM
I got Disney from a shelter. In 1992 I had to put my 11 year old poodle, Pepper, down because of illness and I wanted another pet. My husband didn't want a dog so he agreed to a kitten and I got Ripley. After a year with Ripley I knew that I still really wanted a dog and I begged hubby into letting me get one. He really didn't want one and he didn't like her at all at the shelter but I won out.

molucass
08-11-2004, 12:40 AM
Molly:
When she was about 4 weeks old, I found her abandoned on the side of the road.. It had been raining a lot, and when I was going home from school, I saw her laying there in a little ball shaking, so I pulled over and went to see if she was ok... She was freezing and very scared, so I brought her home with me. Once my mom saw her, she couldn't let her go, and she's been here ever since.

Annie:
The people that had Annie owned both of her purebred parents. When I had originally went to rescue her pregnant half sister, Baby (she is a pug/boxer mix, and was pregnant by a boston terrier), I saw Annie and asked her if she was trying to find a home for her too (she was a tiny pup, then), and she said no, but that if she ever decided she didnt want her anymore, she would let me know..
Well, about 2 1/2 weeks after Baby's pups were born, she contacted me and asked if I would like to have her, and of course I said yes. She had told me that Annie and Baby's mom had been hit by a car and killed, and that Annie's dad died from heartworms. :( So that tells you what kind of home she was in.
We were originally just going to find a home for Annie, but I decided that I couldn't part with her... She's my baby.

Bailee:
Her mom, Annie, was in heat, and we didn't know it... We were babysitting our friends double dapple dachshund, and he got her pregnant....Annie never did get that fat, and I didn't know she was pregnant until I saw her puppies moving around. Bailee was the only girl in her litter, and the only black and tan dapple one.. My mom and I fell in love with her and decided not to find a home for her.

Felony:
After my little pit bull boy, Jackson, was killed my mom knew how upset I was, so she waited until a couple days before my birthday and went and got Felony for me. She had been planning it for a couple weeks. Unfortunately the people she got him from were very bad backyard breeders, and they lied to her.. They claimed that he was a full-blooded pit bull and even showed her his "parents". I got to see a picture of Felony being born, so I know that his mom was a pit bull, however, I guess we will never know what his dad was.

lovemyshiba
08-11-2004, 12:56 AM
My husband and I bought Kito from a breeder a month before our wedding--sort of a wedding gift to each other.
We found Abbey 4 months later through beagle rescue.
Riley was an accident--my husband had said after we moved into our house (that we were about to close on in 5 days), settled in, and put a fence up, we could think about a third dog. I went to the shelter the next day, and came home with Riley.
Jada was my anniversary gift to my husband last year. He had rotties in the past, and really wanted one, so on our anniversary we happened to take a drive out to the spca--there she was, and she came home 3 days later.

Cincy'sMom
08-11-2004, 05:58 AM
Sadie came from a friend of a friend who took in her mom. "Mom" was going to be shot for getting pregnant!

Cincy was a free ad in the paper.

Spot was in a shelter and was suppposed to be PTS the day BEFORE we got him. The girl at the shleter couldn't do it and the manager gaveher one more day. Mugsy got an email about him, called me and he's been here since :)

cloverfdx
08-11-2004, 08:34 AM
Here we go this may take a while ;)

First off, the first 2 dogs took ALOT of begging and whining, oh i guess Theodore did as well. :D

I had been wanting a dog for years and had wanted a Staffordshire Bull Terrier (English Stafford) but i was told by my Father that i was not allowed one those "Fighting Dogs" :rolleyes:, so my Staffy was definate NO.

I was told i could have a small dog nothing bigger than a Jack Russell Terror so we started looking at Shelters (And i always found the most beautiful natured Staffys :( ) but had no luck, just before Christmas 1997 a friend of my Mums was given a spayed JRT well it turned out she was not and she had 4 pups one being Penny. End of story. ;)

Clover was another begging for months job, as "Penny needs a companion" ;), Father gave in once again but their was the no Staffy rule still standing and i said i did not realy want a dog with Rottweiler or Cattle dog in it as i did not think i could handle a dog of those mixes.

We went to check out a litter of Rotti X pups from an add in the newspaper (I was only looking) but when we got there my Father spotted a little Black and Tan female pup that he wanted, we went to pick Mum up to take her to see the babies and thankfully the Blk and Tan pup had been sold so i got to chose.

We placed all the female pups up one end of the room and i called them and the little red pup i had taken a liking to that morning ran strait into my arms :D and as they say the rest is history. Mum stills say that it is the only wise decision my Father ever made and i have to agree. ;)

2 more to come *Sorry*:o

cloverfdx
08-11-2004, 08:45 AM
Theodore came from a Pet Shop :(, (We will never do it again). He had been at the pet shop for a few weeks and no-one wanted him so we decided dog #3 was coming home.

And my baby boy Elvis was a gift/ freebie, Elvis' breeder is a friend of my Mum and i, Gloria just happened to mention that they had mated one of their Border Collie bitches and had a litter coming up.

Mum mentioned to Gloria that i was saving up for a BC and that i would be getting one the following year (About now), Gloria said i could have a pup if i wanted it and that i would not have to pay :eek:.

We thought about it for a few weeks and made the decision (Well the decision was made when i held a tiny 4 week old Elvis in my arms for the first time ;) ) and he has been mine ever since. I bought him home at about 7 weeks as he wanted to go out on the farm working sheep with his Mum (Molly).

I have another BC planned for about 3 years time a female. :D

K9soul
08-11-2004, 08:56 AM
Tasha was a pound puppy. Shortly after having lost my first collie, Cody, I stopped by the shelter just to look around. I was about to leave when I noticed a couple puppies in the play pen outside. I went out where two puppies were and fell in love with Tasha. The shelter said her mother was German shepherd and greyhound, the father's breed was unknown but guessed to be a springer spaniel although I don't think she has any springer in her.

Tommy was rescued from a neglectful abusive family who got him as a puppy and then when he was 6 months old he was "too much trouble" and living on the end of a chain outside, barking all the time. A neighbor who pitied him talked to them and found out they wanted to get rid of him and he knew my brother-in-law and told him about it who then talked David about it. David came home and while I was standing there and he was greeting Tasha and Willie, he asked Tasha if she'd like a playmate. We talked it over, of course I was thrilled, and so Tommy was rescued.

chrissycat21
08-11-2004, 09:11 AM
All of you have great stories!

Wolfie- It was the happiest birthday!

DogLover9501
08-11-2004, 09:52 AM
Jasper & Piddle- Both from breeders, neither were very responsible.

Wiggles- From a pet store(didn't know about any of that then :()

Toby's my baby
08-11-2004, 10:02 AM
Booboo - When my dad accidently ran over Allie ( our first dog) my mom got another dog just like Allie and it was her brother Booboo.

Maggie - A lady that workes at my school had a dog and she was not spayed, and the neighbors had a purebred lab that was not fixed and so the story goes they had a bunch of puppies. Linda ( the lady that works at my school) 's husband said once the pups were old enough she would have a week to find them all homes or he was bringing them to the pet store! So when they were old enough she brought 3 of the 4 that were still left to school, and sara and I told her not to bring them untill the day my mom had to pick me up for a doctor's appt. my mom came and linda brought the puppies to our class room. We wanted a male but we ended up bringing Maggie home. My mom didnt want to keep the dog in her car while we went to town so sara kept it in school for the rest of the day. Then she brought it on the bus without permission but she got away with it and we surprised my dad.

lute
08-11-2004, 10:43 AM
Beanie-we got him a week after my yorkie had died. we took a trip to the humane society. there were TWO dogs ,Beanie and a med.mix breed that just had a litter of puppies. everyone LVED Beanie except for me. i prefer bigger dogs.we adopted him anyways and he's my baby and i would NEVER give him up!:D

i hope that after we get settled in our new apartment we can get another dog.