PDA

View Full Version : Warning Graphic Footage!! BOYCOTT 2004 OLYMPICS/ATHENS GREECE

QueenScoopalot
08-10-2004, 06:45 AM
Don't watch this video if you are squeamish....disturbing graphic film of what's been going on in Greece with the Olympics coming. http://www.ua4a.org/Greece.mov

dukedogsmom
08-10-2004, 08:01 PM
I couldn't bear to watch too much of it. I'm going to be sending some emails tomorrow and I hope the wrath of God comes down upon these hedonistic people for what they've done. If I was an Olympic athlete, I would refuse to participate. This is sickening.

dappledoxie
08-10-2004, 08:18 PM
I agree, that is just awful! I would not participate either.

QueenScoopalot
08-10-2004, 08:31 PM
The Greek government has had many years to address this problem humanely, but is doing the last ditch attempt to polish one very bloody halo!:mad: With the thousands of people from other countries flocking into Greece, why couldn't they initiate an adoption program ahead of time? Like Puerto Rico & Dominican Republic have initiated with North East states that don't have a 'dog problem'? Satos (slang for street dogs) have been rescued off the streets for quite a few years now, and never last more than a day or two in area shelters here. Even badly injured and mange covered ones are rescued and adopted out after they're healthy. Why can't other countries do this as well? :confused: :(

anna_66
08-10-2004, 08:41 PM
This is just absolutely disgusting. I couldn't really watch much of the video, but I did listen to it. I wish that with all the protests and everything that something could be done.
I'm with you Val, I wouldn't participate if I were an athlete either.

leslie flenner
08-10-2004, 11:32 PM
I am glad you posted this-someone on dogside suggested I post but I was fearful of well, irating people? I dunno. No one is blaming the athletes, but the govt. needs to get the message- they have been offered help since 1997 and turned it down- meaning they had to resort to... the worst.

leslie flenner
08-10-2004, 11:37 PM
here is the printed story for those who don't want to see movie
- Animal Groups Want Athens to Show Homeless Dogs Some Olympic Spirit. I

QueenScoopalot
08-11-2004, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by leslie flenner
here is the printed story for those who don't want to see movie
- Animal Groups Want Athens to Show Homeless Dogs Some Olympic Spirit. I
Leslie, nothing showed up..is there a link?

dukedogsmom
08-11-2004, 07:10 AM
I got this in my email today: http://www.hsus.org/ace/21409
At the bottom of the article is an email address for the prime minister.

moosmom
08-11-2004, 10:47 AM
Jan,

The Save A Sato program in Puerto Rico is very successful. If only Greece would follow suit.

Unfortunately, I don't have sound on my computer. But watching made me sick, and I didn't get through too much of it.

My cat Maya Linn came from the Adopt A Sato program in Puerto Rico. She, her mom and brother were found at the San Juan Airport and rescued. They were flown, courtesy of American Airlines, to a CT rescue organization I was involved in. I fell in love with her immediately. All 3 got loving homes. I thank God every day for my precious little blue eyed Siamese mix.

I will NOT have anything to do with the Olympics. It's my way of boycotting the hideous conditions that the Greeks are attempting to cover up, in an effort to make Greece look like paradise while lining their pocket, instead of addressing a very serious problem! :mad: :mad:

Tonya
08-11-2004, 10:57 AM
I can't watch the video, but I'll take your word for it and BOYCOTT 2004 OLYMPICS! That is horrible. They shouldn't host the Olympics if they can't deal with the stray problem in a humane way.

Logan
08-11-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Tonya
I can't watch the video, but I'll take your word for it and BOYCOTT 2004 OLYMPICS! That is horrible. They shouldn't host the Olympics if they can't deal with the stray problem in a humane way.

My only question to all of you is: Do we in the US deal with the stray population in a humane way? Does Canada? Does any country? We hear horror stories from all over. I do NOT condone what is happening, or what could happen, in Greece. I'm just choosing to not penalize the athletes who have worked so hard to get there, as none of this is their fault! There are problems everywhere, especially in this country, as we read about day in and day out through the news, newsletters from animal advocate groups, and the various boards we visit, and we should be voicing our concerns at every possible opportunity, and also doing our part in rescue and placement, but to boycott watching the Olympics because of some stupid decisions of the Greek government seems a bit overboard to me. If you hate sports and the Olympics, don't watch, but my opinion is that watching and supporting these athletes from over 200 countries who have worked a lifetime to get there doesn't have anything to do with the stray population in Greece. :( They didn't choose the location, they just trained to be there, wherever it is held!

The summer games in 2008 will be held in Beijing, China. Lord knows what human rights and animal atrocities we can already start finding there! :eek:

I know I'm not going to change any minds, but if we have our hearts and message in the right place, maybe we can make a difference.

Not looking for arguments, just stating my opinion, with the best of intentions.

Logan

moosmom
08-11-2004, 06:16 PM
Logan,

You DO have a point. It's not just Greece that's got the problem, it's everywhere you turn, even in our OWN back yard. I don't particularly like sports (except for rowing) so I wouldn't be watching the Olympics anyway.

leslie flenner
08-11-2004, 09:04 PM
What is particularly sad about what has happened here is that Athens was offered help from numerous groups from numerous countries, turned it down, waited until the last minute, then used mass poisonings to take care of the problem. According to veterinarians, it is a very long and painful way to die. Yes, we have problems in the US with strays but we don't throw out meat laced with poison to take care of it (cats who happened upon the bait suffered and died unintentionally). There are some areas certainly in our country with colonies of wild dogs. I wish puppy mills and cock fighting and dog fighting (esp useing kittens and puppies as bait) and a bunch of other issues would be addressed. But well, the idea of mass killings I think hits us in a sore spot-it just seems especially cold and cruel. It's just really hard to stomach. Plus their "shelters" are unattended, starving, pointless pens of strays... but I won't say more, not the point.
The Olympics, like any other event where all the world has it's eyes, is a prime opportunity for animal rights groups to make a difference. If not for the Olympics, who would even know about the situation and how they chose to deal with it? If there is a chance to focus on a problem, I don't blame animal rights groups for siezing the moment!
When the Olympics are anywhere, I hope animal rights groups will be there too (several years in advance as they were with Athens). I see this as great progress for our animal friends amounst the world of humans! Even a discussion is progress! I agree, the athletes have nothing to do with it! Writing a letter to Prime Minister is honorable and hopefully will make a difference! (Thanks moosmom and carole!)

QueenScoopalot
08-11-2004, 09:24 PM
Good points made all around, and I understand it's about the athletes as well that have devoted their lives to making the team. Others of us devote our lives to other causes, and animals happens to be one of mine. I know many other countries aside from Greece have a terrible way of dealing with over population of abandoned animals, but as Leslie and others have pointed out, the spotlight is now on Greece! They have had a very careless concern all along for the many homeless animals, and too few rescue groups to address the issue. When Athens was chosen(years back) to host the 2004 Olympics, and had the Humane Society Of the United States, and multiple other well established groups willing to step in, and help address the over-population problem, they should have spent a few thousand out of the billions$$ to welcome the help in a humane manner. Feeding poison balls, and glass shard laced food to half starved animals only makes Greece look bad to an entire nation. I know it's all happened in other countries as well, but one would think in a so called civilized nation, there could be a whole lot more compassion. :(

Logan
08-12-2004, 06:24 AM
Leslie, I have no disagreement with any of the points you made (you either QS). It is a shame that the Greek government couldn't listen several years ago when offers of help were coming in, then resorted to this horrible method of "fixing" the problem. I have absolutely no problem with this being a perfect time to heighten awareness through news media, etc to show the disgraceful way that the Greek government chose to deal with this. My only beef was with boycotting the Olympics, thereby punishing the athletes who had nothing to do with this decision.

I was reading the ASPCA newsletter this morning and went to their website and read this:

The international Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA) recently sent a representative to Athens and is helping to train Greek officials to deal with the epidemic stray problem humanely.

A little late, but I guess better late than never. :(

davidpizzica
08-13-2004, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by Logan
My only question to all of you is: Do we in the US deal with the stray population in a humane way? Does Canada? Does any country? We hear horror stories from all over. I do NOT condone what is happening, or what could happen, in Greece. I'm just choosing to not penalize the athletes who have worked so hard to get there, as none of this is their fault! There are problems everywhere, especially in this country, as we read about day in and day out through the news, newsletters from animal advocate groups, and the various boards we visit, and we should be voicing our concerns at every possible opportunity, and also doing our part in rescue and placement, but to boycott watching the Olympics because of some stupid decisions of the Greek government seems a bit overboard to me. If you hate sports and the Olympics, don't watch, but my opinion is that watching and supporting these athletes from over 200 countries who have worked a lifetime to get there doesn't have anything to do with the stray population in Greece. :( They didn't choose the location, they just trained to be there, wherever it is held!

The summer games in 2008 will be held in Beijing, China. Lord knows what human rights and animal atrocities we can already start finding there! :eek:

I know I'm not going to change any minds, but if we have our hearts and message in the right place, maybe we can make a difference.

Not looking for arguments, just stating my opinion, with the best of intentions.

Logan Logan, I totally agree with you. It was a horrible act of cruelty on the part of the Greek government, but the athletes had nothing to do with it. They trained hard to get to the Olympics and for some, their only chance. I will protest to the Greek Prime minister, but I'll support the athletes.

lizzielou742
08-13-2004, 10:19 AM
I sent an email to the Prime Minister as well.