PDA

View Full Version : Cat Spray

Denise
07-03-2000, 04:06 PM
I have a real big problem w/my cat's spray-ing in the house. Is there a medical cure for this? I have 3 cats now & 2 of them spray constantly. I'm not sure if the third one does it or not. These cats have been around each other for at least 3+ years. Also, what can I use to clean the cat spray so my house will stop smelling horribly? Do they have anything on the market that not only cleans the cat spray, but helps stop the cats from spraying in the same spot? The vet gave me some pills about 4 yrs. ago to give to my one cat that I've had the longest, but they did not work. All of my cats are males. I use to have a female that, believe it or not, sprayed also. I was quite shocked when I actually saw her do this. Any successful suggestions would be greatly app-reciated.

bloomer
07-04-2000, 09:31 AM
Seems to be alot of cats spraying.. here I thought I was the only one crazy enough to put up with it... but I have found that after I clean up the spray, I use a homemade pepper or hot sauce spray in the spot.. and he seems not to go back there, for a while anyways.. also my guy has a favorite corner in the basement.. so I put a bowl of vineger there and it seems to work until the vinegar evapourated (got to keep up on that) and I also found that any carpet staines come out with shaving creme.. ya just the regular white stuff.. I put it on and let it sit for about 10 min.. then use a brush or sponge.. rinse it a little (don't make the carpet to wet.. and let it dry and vaccuum.. it's worked on stains as old as two years. I have three cats, 2 males and 1 female.. only one sprays.. but I notice the other one trying but nothing happens... yet.. I don't yell at or hit my cats.. but I do find the water bottle handy for the one trying to spray.. If you find any tips please pass them on...

Michaele
07-08-2000, 05:49 PM
Have the cats been neutered? Neutered males may still spray but the odor is not near as bad. I have a neutered male Siamese who has never sprayed in 12 years. By the way, females spray just like the males. They're all still marking territory - spayed, neutered or not.

Jeanne
07-11-2000, 10:07 AM
To all of you out there who have demons (cats) who spray in the house. My vet suggested a product called Feliway. It is a spray that has cat pheromones in it. It doesn't smell like cat urine, but it tricks the cats into thinking they have already marked the area. You clean the area that your pet has sprayed, then spray the Feliway in the area, and continue to spray everyday until the behavior stops. I went through about 1 1/2 bottles before we got the little creatures under control. Occasionally, they start up again and I just repeat the procedure. Feliway was expensive when purchased from the vet (39.95 for 60ml), but I found it online for 19.95...Yeah! Here is the number 1-800-360-4838.

Good luck!

Butterfly
07-11-2000, 08:28 PM
Try getting them neutered or get a product called Nature's Miracle for removing the odor. It's available in most pet stores and it really is great. Good Luck

------------------
tk