PDA

View Full Version : Moving cats

TisKathie
06-29-2000, 08:28 AM
I am moving to Asheville this week and have a huge crate for my two cats, who will drive with me. The problem is, I have to stay in a hotel one night before I can have access to my house. Any suggestions in making their one night less terrible? Any suggestions oh how I will coax them back into that crate for the second time? These are loving cats, but last summer I had to transport them and I bled getting them into it.

Kathie (PS this crate takes up half of my back seat, so they have plenty of room, water, food and litter)

Pam
06-29-2000, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by TisKathie:
I am moving to Asheville this week and have a huge crate for my two cats, who will drive with me. The problem is, I have to stay in a hotel one night before I can have access to my house. Any suggestions in making their one night less terrible? Any suggestions oh how I will coax them back into that crate for the second time? These are loving cats, but last summer I had to transport them and I bled getting them into it.

Kathie (PS this crate takes up half of my back seat, so they have plenty of room, water, food and litter)

Pam
06-29-2000, 12:19 PM
I had to cancel a vet appointment one day because I couldn't get my cat into the carrier. They gave me a suggestion so that I could get him in next time without being scratched. It sounds cruel, but they said to put him in a pillowcase and then lower the pillowcase into the carrier. Since kitties love to go inside things, it's not hard to coax him into a pillowcase. Hope it works for you!

TisKathie
07-01-2000, 07:19 AM
Thanks...that just might work and might save the blood loss.

Kathie

Traci
07-12-2000, 03:51 PM
I know this sounds awful, however, I used to have a cat (Norton, female tortie) that truly hated going to the vet, in fact one of the vets told me not to bring her back in to their office. They said they would have to come to my home. I found that a little extensive, so I took Norton to a different vet and all they had to do was put on a tiny little mask that went over her eyes. As long as she didn't see what was happening she was fine.

My suggestion, however cruel it may sound is to get a mask for your kitties and transport them that way.

Good luck on the move.

------------------
Traci

Karen
07-14-2000, 09:10 PM
Be oh so careful moving your kitties! A family with whom I have been friends for 8 years is moving back to their home several states away. The dog when with the mom when she started driving the rental truck, the Dad was already out there, but the kitty was staying with the teenage son for a couple extra days while he said goodbye to friends. Well, while he was staying with friends, the kitty escaped from him, probably confused and upset. He was several miles from their old home, and has not been seen since. though the son stayed an extra day looking for him. The people who are renting their old apartment have been on the lookout, and even put out some food, but there has been no sign of him and it has been several days and we are afraid he is lost forever and lonely and confused. They are checking with shelters, but with no luck. Treasure your kitties, and keep them safe and CONTAINED for the move!

4 feline house
11-19-2000, 07:34 PM
I discovered a much easier way to get cats into the carrier - it is still not foolproof but much easier. Instead of putting the carrier down flat and shoving the cat in face first, set it up on its end with the door open, so that it's now on the top. Now just drop your cat in feet first. And while you are in a motel, be sure and crate your cats up well in advance, even the night before if you have to. There's nothing more frustrating than trying to get a terrified cat out from under a bolted down bed as the clock races towards check-out time.