PDA

View Full Version : Doberman question.

cubby31682
08-09-2004, 02:03 PM
My hasband and I are looking at a house, which has plenty of space and yard space for a Doberman. A doberman is my husband's favoriate type of dog. The problem that we are having about getting one, is we don't know how well they get along with cats. We NEED to have a dog be able to get along with my cat. A guy at my husbands work has a doberman that is going to have pups any day now. He has offered to give one to us at no cost to us. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Katie

chrissycat21
08-09-2004, 02:05 PM
If you do get one of that guy's doberman puppies and you get it while it is still young it will probably get used to your cat.

Toller 42
08-09-2004, 02:07 PM
Since your getting a puppy it should get along great with cats, have your cats ever been around a dog/puppy before? he might want to play with them sometimes like puppies do but after he knows the rules he will be fine. Dobies are great dogs! there are 2 dobies that live across the street from us and they live with 3 cats Echo and the dobies have little playdates sometimes because the family is at work for long periods of time so she gave us a spare key so we can go get them when we want to.

cubby31682
08-09-2004, 02:09 PM
Cubby has never been around any dogs or any other cats for that matter. We will have to wait and see how Cubby reacts.

Thanks for the quick responses.
Kaite

Toller 42
08-09-2004, 02:11 PM
I'm sure she'd get used to living with a dog, the cats across the street were terrified of dogs before the dobies got there but then they got used to them and they even sleep together sometimes.

LorraineO
08-10-2004, 02:24 PM
My dobie hates cats,, but hey,,, I own a dobie,,, and they are great.... well,, ok ok,, half a dobie,,, shes also am staff,,, but she looks all dobie,, heres a pic of her and us on her 2nd b day...

EssTer
08-10-2004, 02:43 PM
When my family got our past dobie we already had cats. She was 6months old and got really well with cats. But I think it's much better to get young pup, so it'll be esier to sozialize him with cat. One dog breeder said - if you get dog and you already have cat - you wont have problems, because cat is like master and they will live OK together.. Other problem is when you get cat after dog...