PDA

View Full Version : Dog won't eat!

Catsnclay
08-09-2004, 01:40 PM
Hi guys! As you can see I'm from over at the cat side, but this week I am in "charge" of my neighbors 2 poodles and 2 kitties. I've watched them before but have never had this problem, hopefully someone can help me out.

Dudley, the male poodle, isn't eating. He is acting very normal - he is a goof-ball :rolleyes: . All he wants to do is play. Now normally Dudley & Lucy get taken on walks early in the morning (every morning) Unfortunetly I cannot do that for them. I do try to play a lot with them. My neighbor is usually home all day (like me) so I go over there so they aren't so lonely.

Sunday Dudley wouldn't eat his breakfast......I hand fed him a few kibbles, but he really wasn't interested. He is acting normal, not like he is sick or upset. He isn't eating grass when he goes out either.

Sunday night my husband went with me, and we played with him for awhile, then gave him his food...........nope, didn't eat.

I can't leave the food out because Lucy is on a special diet, so that idea is out.

What else can I do to get him to eat??

Thanks!

dogs_4_me
08-09-2004, 01:43 PM
im sure he is just missing his owners, my terrier had a problem well we were away like that, the sitter put some treats at the bottom of his bowl and a few at the top so he ate his way to the treats.lol

pitc9
08-09-2004, 02:23 PM
I know my mom's pom/poo does not eat when she goes out of town. Sounds like Dudley is just missing his mommy!!
The treats on the bottom sounds like a great idea!! If not... he'll eat when he's ready!! As long as he's not acting sick.... you're doing all you can!!

BitsyNaceyDog
08-09-2004, 03:39 PM
Try adding a little water to his kibble and warming it in the microwave for 10- 15 seconds. That usually works. If that doesn't work then then add a small amount of garlic powder and some water to his kibble and microwave.
*Do not use fresh garlic or garlic salt. Garlic isn't really good for dogs, (altho you do find it in some dog treats) but a little garlic powder is fine. I guarantee it will work.

KYS
08-09-2004, 05:55 PM
I agree he might just be missing his owners and
his schedule if off.

(as long as he is not allergic or on any special diet.)
I would try adding a little ground hamburger or a
little chicken broth to his food and see if that helps.

Catsnclay
08-10-2004, 01:45 PM
Thanks everyone for all your help :D

Dudley finally did eat on Monday morning after I hand fed him a few kibbles. Then his "parents" came home late Monday afternoon, and he sucked up his food!

When I told them, they laughed and said they forgot to mention that every once in a while he just doesn't eat. Whew!

You guys are great!! :D :) Thanks again.