PDA

View Full Version : Does the Queen know about this??

slick
08-09-2004, 12:36 PM
I heard this on my local news this morning and they were making a big joke about it. Any thoughts from the UK people?

I was thinking about moving to LA LA land but maybe I should go to Jolly 'Ol England instead. :D

Prozac found in Britain's drinking water, says report
Agence France-Presse
London, August 9

Britons consume the anti-depressant drug Prozac in such large quantities that traces of it can now be found in the country's drinking water, The Observer newspaper reported Sunday citing health officials.
"The Environment Agency has revealed that Prozac is building up both in river systems and groundwater used for drinking supplies," the newspaper said. "The government's chief environment watchdog recently held a series of meetings with the pharmaceutical industry to discuss any repercussions for human health or the ecosystem."

It said that the drug finds its way into the water supply from treated sewage water.

However, the government's Drinking Water Inspectorate said Prozac was likely to be found in such a "watered down" form that it was unlikely to pose a health risk, The Observer said.

According to the newspaper, in the decade up to 2001, "overall prescriptions of anti-depressants rose from nine million to 24 million a year".

NoahsMommy
08-09-2004, 01:13 PM
Eww! (the treated sewage water...eventually ending up in drinking water part) That makes me glad I only drink bottled water.

Randi
08-09-2004, 01:56 PM
I think we'll skip Christmas in England this year!! :eek:

Rio and Me
08-09-2004, 02:13 PM
I've been drinking good ole english water for 18 years and ive been nothing but happy, now i know why,lol
Ky

lbaker
08-09-2004, 02:32 PM
Could be worse, instead of Prozac it could be a certain product that I'm being swamped with Spam adverts about and being of the female persuassion I really have no interest in :o :eek: :rolleyes:

AmberLee
08-09-2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by lbaker
...a certain product that I'm being swamped with Spam adverts about ...

:o ;) :eek: My very thought as I read that post!!!:eek:

kingrattus
08-09-2004, 09:57 PM
NoahsMommy, u know that alot of bottled water is tap water. & only a small % of that is really the so called spring water?? A buddies dad back home use to work in one.

I refuse to drink any water from around here after what happened in Walkerton, 11 people died of ecoli & many others were horrible ill. & walkertown isn't too farm from here.

Stupid farmers letting their cattle do their business in/near streams..

Tonya
08-09-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by kingrattus
NoahsMommy, u know that alot of bottled water is tap water. & only a small % of that is really the so called spring water?? A buddies dad back home use to work in one.

My old boss used to work at some company where her responsibility was overseeing the labels on food products. She told me that there are so many foods and drinks that she won't touch because of what she has learned. There is a certain percentage of dead animals and garbage that can go into the process...As long as it's below that percentage, it is ok...also you can advertise that you have such and such ingredient or whatever although it truly has a very low amount of that ingredient in it.

I hope I made sense, I have a migrane so it's hard to think. :rolleyes:

kingrattus
08-09-2004, 10:46 PM
Reminds me of the dinner I made last week.

We had no baccon so I decided to turn sausages into bacon bits. I made my nifty Kraft Dinner casseroll & took some to work the next day. Guess what I bit into???

A YOUNG PIGS TOOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it was horrible!! & SOOOO gross

Tonya
08-09-2004, 11:08 PM
OMFG, I DIDN'T WANT TO KNOW THAT!!! GOOD THING I DO NOT EAT SAUSAGE ANYWAYS. :eek:

kingrattus
08-09-2004, 11:19 PM
I HATE THEM. But when ur hungry, u'll eat just about anything.
I also hate partly uncooked chicken... & HATE HAM, I can hardly swallow that crap, but I pour on so much mustard I can hardly taste it.

I also get very sick off of meats, except beef. I can eat a steak rare & be just fine. but if I eat a few pieces of baccon I'm sick until its out of my system.. & lets say its a painful sick. I tried not dinner that contained chicken, ham or sausages, but then I foundout thats ALL they cook here... I got sooo sick not eating anything for dinner, that I have to eat it. but I NEVER go for seconds. I eat as fast as I can & chug a can or 2 of pop hoping the pop will make my tummy feel better.. The pop helps alot, but not the outcome... ooooooo