PDA

View Full Version : Raggdoll

dogs_4_me
08-09-2004, 11:57 AM
You would normally find me in the dog section, however i have really really wanted a cat for the longest time, and i just saw a breeder add for ragg doll kitties, there beautiful! is all i can say! but does any one know any imformation on them, has anyone ever had a rag doll before? let me know!

catlover4ever
08-09-2004, 12:06 PM
My Abner has a mix of Ragdoll in him. He is the sweetest, most lovable little boy. Here is a picture of "my little Ragdoll" I know Abner has Ragdoll in him because he has the "going limp" genetics in him.....when you pick him up he goes limp in your arms.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid104/p1f0c316e8f3243441c173d67229968e8/f98740b3.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid100/pf734aa4dc6d168cd0ac6f62e0c3563d4/f9e50e15.jpg

Here is a link to the Cat Fanciers Association, they have all kinds of great information on the breed. http://www.cfainc.org/

Have you ever considered adopting a Ragdoll from a shelter? Just wondering...the cat may not be a purebreed but they are just as adorable and loveable.

dogs_4_me
08-09-2004, 12:09 PM
thanks for the pictures! He's a beauty! I have thought about adopting one from a shelter, i have been checkign there website frequently for a siting of one, I hear they are great family cats, witch it what turned me on the most. Thanks

jazzcat
08-09-2004, 12:20 PM
Here's a vote for adopting one from a shelter. I'm glad that is what you are considering!:) Check around with rescue groups too. I know some will put you on a list and call if that breed comes in or if they find one at a shelter. At least they do that here.

Good luck and keep us updated on what you decide.

dogs_4_me
08-09-2004, 12:46 PM
What do you guys think about declawing?

rg_girlca
08-09-2004, 01:00 PM
Oh boy, I wish you didn't bring that up.:eek: There are plenty of other options than declawing.

I'm sure some people will give you good links to declawing, just so you know exactly what the poor cat has to endure.

Myself personally, I had one cat declawed as I didn't know at the time what it involved. Once I did know, I vowed I would never, ever get another one of my cats declawed.

Good luck on finding the right cat for you, or I should say, the right cat finding you. I'm also glad to hear that you are looking for a shelter kitty.:D

jazzcat
08-09-2004, 01:07 PM
You can trim the nails yourself - I do with my three, or you can use soft paws if scratching is an issue but you can train the kitten or cat to use scratching posts, cardboard scratchers or sisal if you provide provide them with plenty. There are several options to try that work.

dogs_4_me
08-09-2004, 01:08 PM
lol it didnt mean i was getting my kitty declawed!! personally i am kind of against it but i do not know much about it.....i shall' do my research!

rg_girlca
08-09-2004, 02:31 PM
:D Good for you.:D

dogs_4_me
08-09-2004, 04:52 PM
was taht one sarcastic?!:mad: :rolleyes:

jazzcat
08-09-2004, 05:00 PM
Not trying to speak for Lorraine but I'm certain that she wasn't being sarcastic at all. You'll find that most here are really opposed to declawing so knowing that you are against it and will do some research first is very good, hence the good for you!

dogs_4_me
08-09-2004, 05:34 PM
I know, it was a joke!

krazyaboutkatz
08-09-2004, 06:43 PM
I'm also glad to hear that you're going to try to adopt from a shelter or rescue organization.:)
I have 4 male cats and I've been told that my Sky is a Ragdoll/Norwegian Forest Cat mix. I think he looks more like a Ragdoll though.:) He has the best personality too. He's a very social cat so he's very doglike and likes me to give him cuddles. He also thinks that everything is a toy so he's very kitten like. He'll go limp in my arms occasionally but not always. I adopted him from the Humane Society and he gets along with all 3 of his brothers.:)

Here are a few pictures of him.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/krazyaboutkatz/00bee124.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/krazyaboutkatz/76dd492f.jpg

He has very light blue eyes so that's why I named him Sky.:) Good luck with your search for a Ragdoll or Ragdoll mix.:)

DogLover9501
08-09-2004, 06:48 PM
A RagDoll is my future dream kitty!!! They are just stunning!

Good luck with your research!!

dogs_4_me
08-09-2004, 10:45 PM
Aww sky your adorable! Going limp in your arms ;) just like a raggdoll! I've been looking at shelters, and they will call me when they get in somthing along the lines of what i am looking for, i dont think i am going to get one from a breeder, i mean may as well rescue a kitty and make it happy, i dont mind waiting till the right one will come along. I am still keeping my mind open to other kinds of cats as well, or mixed breeds.

JRM
08-10-2004, 09:25 AM
I love Ragdolls! My baby Wallace is a blue mitted Ragdoll. He just turned 6 months old on Aug. 7. His big brother Winston we suspect is half Ragdoll, although he's a shelter cat so no one really knows. Wallace is very social and very floppy. Loves to be held, loves to fetch his fur mice. Winston is a bit more independent. He doesn't like laps and can only be held for short periods of time. Ragdolls seem to adapt really well to your existing pets. Wallace took to Winston right away and will sneak up and cuddle once Winston falls asleep. Your certainly doing the right thing by checking rescue organizations. Depending on where you live, there may be a Ragdoll rescue group in your area. I see them on Petfinder quite often.

Here's one of Wallace...

JRM
08-10-2004, 09:27 AM
And here's one of Winston!

catmandu
08-10-2004, 09:36 AM
If there are Cildren ,around that would be phyical,with a Cat,you might have to eliminate The Ragdoll,as they are very passive Cats,and can be hurt,by Childen. And Ceclawing,is Terrible,for the Cat,I did it with Poor RB Mr.Scrappy,and he had so much trouble,when he got older,keeping,the back,of his tail,clean!

dogs_4_me
08-10-2004, 05:43 PM
awww winston and wallis are adorable!......no kids around, were good lol

AmberLee
08-10-2004, 05:58 PM
I agree! Winston and Wallis are awwww-some! ;) :cool: