PDA

View Full Version : I have a Toe-Nail Question...

swimma253
08-09-2004, 08:18 AM
My grandmothers dog Lucihttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v41/swimma253/Black%20and%20White/luciwaterbucketblacketwhite.jpg has a toenail problem.

About 7 of her nails... (on different feet) are cracked... or the "shell" of them are flipping up. We have no idea how this could have happened! Maybe from living outside her entire life in a kennel? Well someone said it could be diabetes... but I hope not! Anybody have any ideas? Thanks for any suggestions!

Carly

Logan
08-09-2004, 09:43 AM
Oh, Carly, I feel so badly for Luci, living outside all the time. She's so cute, I just want to scoop her up into my lap!

What kind of food does she eat? I don't know if food quality would affect something like toenails, but it might. Does she have her toenails clipped periodically? Perhaps there is some supplement she could have added to her food, daily, that would help to strengthen her nails. The vet could help to answer this, I'm sure. I hope she isn't in any pain.

Good luck, and thank you for caring about her.

Logan

mruffruff
08-09-2004, 11:25 AM
I doubt that diabetes would have anything to do with it. My dog has had diabetes for four years and his nails are OK, just long.

If the vet is willing, the nails can be cut way back while the dog is anesthesized. It isn't extremely expensive. I'm sure the vet could explain why the nails are the way they are and how to keep them from getting deformed again.

Luci is adorable. She should be a "lap dog", preferably mine.
;)

Mary

swimma253
08-09-2004, 05:52 PM
thank you for your replies and kind thoughts! Luci just got back from the vets... and she is fine! :D They clipped off the split and cracked parts.

She wasnt in any pain.... but we were just afraid that if she got them caught on somthing it would hurt her. :eek:

The vet said that she had to add somthing to her food. (I cant remember what I have a bad memory! lol) But she said that should strengthen her nails.

And just to clear a few things up... she is not living outside NOW... but she was.:( Poor Luci was kept in a kennel outside her whole 7 years of her life with another scottie. But now she is in heavan! My grandmother spoils her rotten! But she deserves it because she is such a sweet dog!

Thanks again for all the nice replies! :D

Carly